SwindonCanary

Birmingham not happy with Cantwell

25 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Lying on the ground so long actually stopped him from scoring at the penalty request - even Farke mentioned he could have got up quicker today which would have meant he was better able to shoot, in his interview with Paddy Davitt.  Honesty is the best policy, he wasn't injured, just get up and get on with it. He should probably also have passed to Hugill or Teemu for a tap in instead of shooting himself later on.  He gave away posession several times. 

Now before I am accused of running him down, he also was excellent most of the time, unlucky to be just offside for his well taken finish (although the churlish might say he should have made sure he was onside). His running on and off the ball caused the opposition no end of problems and they resorted to kicking him by half way through the second half.

Overall then, a good performance but there is still room for improvement.

Yep I do agree, that lapse in concentration by staying on the floor was silly / sulky - and I noted it in my post above.

I just wonder what he did wrong to justify such a ridiculous response from the Birmingham fans specifically - because I don't think that in itself could've aggravated them so much.

If I had to watch Karanka-ball, I'd be grumbling too. Cantwell is prominent and caused them problems for the entire game. Great work Todd and keep it up! He might yet prove to be that little sprinkling of class this season that separates the wheat from the chaff. 👍

A deserved MOTM for me.

3 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Lying on the ground so long actually stopped him from scoring at the penalty request

I dont even think that's true. The only reason why he was unmarked was because he was on the floor and brum focused on the players who were 'active'. That he was watching play and got up at the last second meant the opposition couldn't react.

He cheated in other words 🙂 ref should have booked him for that. 

Edited by Surfer

9 hours ago, hogesar said:
12 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Lying on the ground so long actually stopped him from scoring at the penalty request

I dont even think that's true. The only reason why he was unmarked was because he was on the floor and brum focused on the players who were 'active'. That he was watching play and got up at the last second meant the opposition couldn't react.

Not for me. If he had his wits about him he would have been anticipating what might happen and been ready to jump up a bit quicker. He only started getting up as he suddenly realised what was going on. Hopefully he'll learn from that.

It’s always about him, his need for attention

look at Mario V does his job never puts a foot wrong on or off the pitch, many others in the squad exactly the same

his show boating is at best embarrassing 

26 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

It’s always about him, his need for attention

look at Mario V does his job never puts a foot wrong on or off the pitch, many others in the squad exactly the same

his show boating is at best embarrassing 

As is yours, but you still do it despite not having the talent to warrant it 😅

28 minutes ago, hogesar said:

As is yours, but you still do it despite not having the talent to warrant it 😅

Harsh 😂😂

I agree that Cantwell made a nuisance of himself in two ways

1) He constantly hassled the Birmingham defence and several times came close to breaking the deadlock

2) He overreacted to all the challenges on him to try and win free kicks

I don’t think there’s any point in players overreacting to tackles as I don’t think I’ve never seen a ref change his mind. I think any player who isn’t injured but stays down for longer just to try and win a free kick is only letting his team down as effectively they are a man down - Cantwell showed a good example of that in the first half when he stayed down to try and win a penalty, eventually got up, then missed a chance that he might have scored if he’d got up a bit sooner

He’s just to good for you, he’s just to good for you. 
This is what happens to all the class players the world over. Remember the stick we used to give Bale ?. Todd is a social media reader as we know, bet he is laughing his socks off reading the comments by the Birmingham supporters. I am not putting him at the same level by the way as Bale, but in the championship there are not many players that not only defenders ( and therefore fans ) are terrified of when he runs at you, but when the other team have the ball he is there, at their ankles.
Unfortunately for Todd there are to many of our own fans that won’t appreciate that you can’t get to these levels every week and will have their knives out ready when he makes a mistake.

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Not for me. If he had his wits about him he would have been anticipating what might happen and been ready to jump up a bit quicker. He only started getting up as he suddenly realised what was going on. Hopefully he'll learn from that.

If I were a Birmingham City fan, I’d be much more concerned by the fact that they have failed to score a single goal in open play so far this season, rather than a tiny theatrical incident that didn’t get one of their players booked or worse. They have another 0-0 coming up this weekend against QPR.

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

According to the stats ( Norwich ) who won the most headers ( Cantwell ) who had most dribbles ( Cantwell ) Who came second in duels won ( Cantwell ) Who was fouled most ( Cantwell ). I appreciate you think Vrancic should be playing instead, but these are the things Vrancic can’t do. 
I love Emi and think he should be in every week, but is he not the player that throws himself on the floor and waves his arms around when things aren’t going well ?

3 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

If I were a Birmingham City fan, I’d be much more concerned by the fact that they have failed to score a single goal in open play so far this season, rather than a tiny theatrical incident that didn’t get one of their players booked or worse. They have another 0-0 coming up this weekend against QPR.

To be fair I live in Birmingham and lots of our family are Blues and Villa supporters. As I mentioned on the thread the morning of the game, most of them considered this was the one game where they felt they could get tonked as they consider us far and away the best team in the Championship. Us, Bournemouth and Watford are currently the teams they all want to beat.