Sign in to follow this  
danielsroundabout

When will we get a penalty taker?

Farke is constantly referring to the difficulties caused by these protracted European and English transfer windows and he certainly has problems while they remain open.

However, for me the single biggest influence on today's result was not the mindset of Buendia or Aarons or Cantwell but the fact that again, we didn't convert a penalty when awarded one. Commentators and the press saw today's effort as a piece of really bad luck resulting from the excessive amount of rain and whilst that factor did not help, I do not think it was the whole problem. The fact that in taking the kick Pukki elected to assume a 45degree position meant that to lose his standing foot was hardly surprising. His confidence as a striker may not have recovered from last season when he failed to score on numerous one on ones with the keeper and I wonder if this continued to trouble him in this penalty scenario.

I don't know what would be considered a good conversion rate for a penalty taker but do feel that Norwich have struggled in this respect for many seasons. We always consider ourselves hard done by as far as penalty awards are concerned, so it is all the more important to score when we do get one. It seems an awfully long time since we could feel confident of scoring when one was awarded, probably back to Neil Adams's playing days.

23 minutes ago, danielsroundabout said:

Farke is constantly referring to the difficulties caused by these protracted European and English transfer windows and he certainly has problems while they remain open.

However, for me the single biggest influence on today's result was not the mindset of Buendia or Aarons or Cantwell but the fact that again, we didn't convert a penalty when awarded one. Commentators and the press saw today's effort as a piece of really bad luck resulting from the excessive amount of rain and whilst that factor did not help, I do not think it was the whole problem. The fact that in taking the kick Pukki elected to assume a 45degree position meant that to lose his standing foot was hardly surprising. His confidence as a striker may not have recovered from last season when he failed to score on numerous one on ones with the keeper and I wonder if this continued to trouble him in this penalty scenario.

I don't know what would be considered a good conversion rate for a penalty taker but do feel that Norwich have struggled in this respect for many seasons. We always consider ourselves hard done by as far as penalty awards are concerned, so it is all the more important to score when we do get one. It seems an awfully long time since we could feel confident of scoring when one was awarded, probably back to Neil Adams's playing days.

Holty had a pretty good record taking pens. 

5 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Holty had a pretty good record taking pens. 

Only missed one that I can remember, vs Southampton? I was always very relaxed if Holt was taking a pen

He scored pens last year.  He slipped yesterday and hit the bar. I think maybe there is too deep an analysis going into a missed penalty because of a slip.  He's not the first it's happened too and he won't be the last.

• Like 2

Pukki slipped because the pitch was a mess. He hasn’t been performing as well as he can recently we all know that but you can’t exactly blame him for slipping. Lots of players were slipping around yesterday. I understood it had rained but why was it so slippery? Did the groundsmen lube it up or something?

1 hour ago, The Real Buh said:

Pukki slipped because the pitch was a mess. He hasn’t been performing as well as he can recently we all know that but you can’t exactly blame him for slipping. Lots of players were slipping around yesterday. I understood it had rained but why was it so slippery? Did the groundsmen lube it up or something?

Did you watch the City/Leeds match? Was nonstop heavy rain, pitch wet as anything twice as wet as our was yet none of the players in that match slipped.. Interesting

10 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Did you watch the City/Leeds match? Was nonstop heavy rain, pitch wet as anything twice as wet as our was yet none of the players in that match slipped.. Interesting

The condition of two pitches 150 miles apart is bit more complex than what's happening weather wise for the 90 minutes the game is played though surely?

I believe that we would have collected 3 points if Pukki had stayed on his feet. 

Not judging just observing. It was an error and/or accident.

Edited by The Bristol Nest
spelling as ever
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Real Buh said:

Pukki slipped because he had moulded studs on a sodden pitch, schoolboy error. 

6 minutes ago, The Bristol Nest said:

I believe that we would have collected 3 points if Pukki had stayed on his feet. 

Not judging just observing. It was an error and/or accident.

I think that's a fair assessment.  If the penalty goes in, Derby would have to change their game plan, no doubt affording us more space to play in, without us needing to push forward so much and avoiding being countered on for their goal.

2 hours ago, Michael Wynless Jones said:

Pukki slipped because he had moulded studs on a sodden pitch, schoolboy error. 

You have taken that from a pundit who when questioned on saying that backtracked and quickly said ‘ I can’t really see if he was wearing moulded studs I am guessing ‘. Unlike that pundit can you prove your comment to be correct or are you allowing something made up to be used against one of our players ?

51 minutes ago, Well b back said:

You have taken that from a pundit who when questioned on saying that backtracked and quickly said ‘ I can’t really see if he was wearing moulded studs I am guessing ‘. Unlike that pundit can you prove your comment to be correct or are you allowing something made up to be used against one of our players ?

Nope, I'm getting it from a photo of him wearing moulds 🙄

FB_IMG_1601738835068.jpg