Sign in to follow this  
vos

VAR strikes again

Watched the Brighton v Man Utd game. Great performance from Brighton who played quick attacking football, mainly in the opponents half. Made Utd look very very average. Their so called stars went missing with Pogba even being subbed. Brighton hit the woodwork three times but they still lost 3-2. There were two marginal penalty decisions - one for and one against - initially given to Brighton by the referee and in the normal pace of play would be considered as fair and reasonable. However going to slow motion VAR they were overturned in favour of United. As has been suggested numerous times VAR will always favour the big teams. Brighton were robbed. And the TV referee - Simon Hooper.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, vos said:

Watched the Brighton v Man Utd game. Great performance from Brighton who played quick attacking football, mainly in the opponents half. Made Utd look very very average. Their so called stars went missing with Pogba even being subbed. Brighton hit the woodwork three times but they still lost 3-2. There were two marginal penalty decisions - one for and one against - initially given to Brighton by the referee and in the normal pace of play would be considered as fair and reasonable. However going to slow motion VAR they were overturned in favour of United. As has been suggested numerous times VAR will always favour the big teams. Brighton were robbed. And the TV referee - Simon Hooper.

Only caught the end, and Brighton were right on the front foot. 

But, as as much as I against Utd and VAR the handball was a penalty all day long IMHO. Arm shouldnt have been up there.   

Var just tried to do me out an accumulator(different game(Beerschot)) chopping off an injury time winner. It was never clear or obvious(elbow on the keeper). Lucky me then that they decided to score another injury time winner £££

30 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I thought it was a penalty at the end - what Maupay thought he was doing is beyond my comprehension, but the ball did hit his arm so it is a pen.  

Just seen it and a definite pen. Although there was a tremendous amount of Fergie time. Must have been a serious injury.😉

1 hour ago, Greavsy said:

Only caught the end, and Brighton were right on the front foot. 

But, as as much as I against Utd and VAR the handball was a penalty all day long IMHO. Arm shouldnt have been up there.   

Haven’t seen it but generally hate this new interpretation.    The game has to be fair so if there is no intent to touch the ball it shouldn’t be a foul.     Game worked perfectly well before but this ‘the arm shouldn’t be there’ is absolute tosh from people who haven’t got a clue about the game!      The limb sticks out from the body and it’s not physically possible to remove it.     At the pace the game is played its physically impossible to move the arm when you use it naturally for leverage, for example.    So take Liverpool’s first goal against Leeds.    Salah hits a rocket of a shot which ricochets off the Leeds defenders knee and hits the arm a split second later.   Here’s the question, what does anyone expect he could have done to avoid that.   Quite ridiculous decision and totally unfair and against the spirit of the game.    It happened to us in the Championship when Godfrey came out brilliantly to block a shot against Wigan... put his body in the way, ricochet off the leg and hit the arm which was naturally outstretched.    They score the pen and we draw.    Ayews unexpected flick that hit Lindelof, Last week, there was no intent and pretty much too close for him to react.... unfair.   It’s a joke of an interpretation and needs sorting out.   If a player can’t physically move his arm out of the way, why should he be penalised?    It needs fans and players and managers to stop accepting the unfairness and protest.     Unnatural positions; have you seen a player running with two arms behind his back, looks very odd and humans aren’t designed to do that!    

if a player slides to stop a cross, where are the arms?    Outstretched naturally for balance!     

Another reason it’s unfair is because the top sides will spend more time around opponents penalty areas so will definitely get the advantage more often over a season.   

I loved this game once but they are slowly ruining it!  

If you disagree, Like to hear why!   

Edited by ged in the onion bag
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Another reason it’s unfair is because the top sides will spend more time around opponents penalty areas so will definitely get the advantage more often over a season.   

That's an interesting point. Watch Mcguire stop the brighton players getting to the ref to protest. I'm all for defending your own team mates from a verbal attack (or physical for that matter), but stopping opposition players getting to the ref, when your team has a history of surrounding refs was a but much for me.    

I think everyone knew once the whistle went, VAR would kick it, as expected, and the only outcome was a pen. 

• Like 1

Well we were told VAR was necessary so they only have themselves to blame.

Stuff the lot of the "lets pretend we care about the EFL but they can fcuk off because we are going to spend £90M on Sancho".

1 hour ago, ged in the onion bag said:

If a player can’t physically move his arm out of the way, why should he be penalised?    It needs fans and players and managers to stop accepting the unfairness and protest.     Unnatural positions; have you seen a player running with two arms behind his back, looks very odd and humans aren’t designed to do that!    

Quite agree. However it seems most of the responders to this thread, when they trip and fall forward,  put their arms and hands behind their back. Not quite a normal, sensible and natural reaction. On the other side of the coin the Brighton penalty was disallowed despite the main reason the forward fell over was because Pogba gave him a small tug on his shoulder. Soft, yes, but so was the "handball". There was no reason to play more than the 4 mins added on apart from the fact Man Utd were not winning.

If you base your decision on the split second VAR clip when the hand actually touches the ball, then it does look like a deliberate punch. BUT surely you have to view the whole motion of the defender jumping for the ball and challenging in a natural way. The raised arm is a normal act when you leap from the ground. Listening to other pundits later in the day regarding another match, they argued that it cannot be deliberate handball when the ball hits your hand from such a short distance.  VAR has to be scrapped.            

Generally speaking, I'm against this new interpretation of the handball rule as it gives far too many nonsense penalties, but the one against Maupay here was the correct decision. It wasn't a case of an outstretched arm while in a running motion or naturally competing for the ball; the arm was waving in the air at a set piece. There's no real defence for that.

PL football It's becoming more like a computer game than real life.  No fans, fake fan noise piped in, decisions decided by slow motion computer simulations.  No entertainment, no spontaneity. VAR, on top of everything else is just an insult.