A Load of Squit

New Tory Leader

1 hour ago, king canary said:

I'm not 100% sure on that as the Lib Dems actually are the ones who most committed to a lot of the crazier ends of the 'social justice' scale (ie gender self ID). 

Minor parties - or those intent on being so - always can afford to come up with crazier or unimplementable ideas. Reform, Tories, Corbyns Labour, Greens and LDs. Yes.

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Tory collapse in Welwyn Hatfield. 👍👍👍

Hopefully the new lot will re open Gap and the pubs in Northaw 

Balls to Northaw. They always vote blue so they can put up any rubbish coming their way. 

3 hours ago, Herman said:

Tory collapse in Welwyn Hatfield. 👍👍👍

"That means the blue party, who suffered 10 losses at the count in Campus West today (May 3), have gone from overall control of the council to the smallest party in the past year.

Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council now has 20 Labour seats, 16 Liberal Democrat and 12 Conservative, which means the council remains under no overall control."

3 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

Minor parties - or those intent on being so - always can afford to come up with crazier or unimplementable ideas. Reform, Tories, Corbyns Labour, Greens and LDs. Yes.

Until they get into a coalition, then they drop policies left, right and centre because they want to taste power. 

Be careful what you wish for if you support PR (which I do, but it needs to be done carefully).

• Like 1

Reform get no seats and no councils. They will still get more coverage than the Greens and LibDems combined.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Herman said:

Balls to Northaw. They always vote blue so they can put up any rubbish coming their way. 

On reflection, that might work.    If they come for the **** o' the North they'll be trouble. Brookmans Park is ripe for housing. Talk is the dutch nursery  and Euro plants might be gone in five years, hopefully they won't get ideas on the pubs and restaurants too.

Being reported that Sadiq Khan could be in trouble.😲

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Being reported that Sadiq Khan could be in trouble.😲

Why, what's he supposed to have done?

That election is about as close as I am to getting hold of myleene klass 

Turnout, Gaza, ULEZ and a not overly popular man mean it could be a lot closer than it should be. 

39 minutes ago, Herman said:

Turnout, Gaza, ULEZ and a not overly popular man mean it could be a lot closer than it should be. 

He's hard to like, but him not winning  would be a major shock.  I'm not buying it.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Barbe bleu said:

Why, what's he supposed to have done?

That election is about as close as I am to getting hold of myleene klass 

Allow yourself to dream! Not about Sadiq Khan though.... 

It is being reported on the BBC that Khan may be in trouble because turnout in the suburbs was much higher than inner London and ULEZ is a big issue. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog

13 hours ago, Herman said:

Reform get no seats and no councils. They will still get more coverage than the Greens and LibDems combined.

My apologies, they got two seats.

13 minutes ago, Herman said:

What was their average vote share in the areas they contested? I think they’re too small to be considered a replacement for the Tories, but if they can continue to be a thorn in their side going forward it may make the Tories more likely to want to move away from FPTP.

Like UKIP a decade ago they seem to suffer from having their vote spread thinly across the country rather than clustered in one space. 

46 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

Like UKIP a decade ago they seem to suffer from having their vote spread thinly across the country rather than clustered in one space. 

You should all move to Ashfield, that's where the thickest Reform votes are.

4 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

You should all move to Ashfield, that's where the thickest Reform votes are.

Why? I’ve never said I’d vote for them.

I agree with Farage on the EU and immigration, but his preferred Thatcherite financial policies are a long way removed from my preferences 

Now this is high quality turd-polishing.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fen Canary said:

Why? I’ve never said I’d vote for them.

I agree with Farage on the EU and immigration, but his preferred Thatcherite financial policies are a long way removed from my preferences 

This is very much the 1973 Labour view - the idea we could be isolationist on our own terms harking back to empire.

It's not on the menu today. We aren't a big enough economy/ super-power to ignore Europe.  Either we go with the European model of the welfare state (and its then necessary protectionist barriers as in the SM / CU) or we go with the US free for all model (aka ERG, Farage, Reform, Truss).

7 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

This is very much the 1973 Labour view - the idea we could be isolationist on our own terms harking back to empire.

It's not on the menu today. We aren't a big enough economy/ super-power to ignore Europe.  Either we go with the European model of the welfare state (and its then necessary protectionist barriers as in the SM / CU) or we go with the US free for all model (aka ERG, Farage, Reform, Truss).

Sorry but that’s just nonsense. There’s no reason immigration can’t be reformed so that the numbers are capped and only highly skilled workers allowed in.

There’s no correlation between the single market with freedom of movement and Americas laissez-faire approach to society that leads to vast tent cities of homes opioid addicts. America has its problems despite having high levels of both legal and illegal inward immigration remember 

3 hours ago, Herman said:

In the long run this is good news for people who like the centre ground, but I'm not sure it's good news for the labour party, and by extension its cheerleaders.

A poor show in these elections might temper reform ambitions in the general election. It's overly simplistic but where they dont run a candidate they can't split the tory vote. 

11 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

In the long run this is good news for people who like the centre ground, but I'm not sure it's good news for the labour party, and by extension its cheerleaders.

A poor show in these elections might temper reform ambitions in the general election. It's overly simplistic but where they dont run a candidate they can't split the tory vote. 

Yes - The Tories have 'enjoyed' for decades no splitting of the vote on the right unlike the progressives / Labour (we have always had the Liberals / LD / SDP etc). That's changing and I guess the Tories if they survive at all won't like it much!

We headed for far more centrist or coalition positions in the future.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

Sorry but that’s just nonsense. There’s no reason immigration can’t be reformed so that the numbers are capped and only highly skilled workers allowed in.

There’s no correlation between the single market with freedom of movement and Americas laissez-faire approach to society that leads to vast tent cities of homes opioid addicts. America has its problems despite having high levels of both legal and illegal inward immigration remember 

I'll let you ponder why Farage, ERG, Reform wanted Brexit - and the economic liberalization (c.f. Truss) that they hope had to follow to 'do Brexit properly'. The latter part won't be a vote winner with you!

Immigration is but a small part of the plan but useful dog whistle. It needs sorting nevertheless.

Just now, Yellow Fever said:

I'll let you ponder why Farage, ERG, Reform wanted Brexit - and the economic liberalization (c.f. Truss) that they hope had to follow to 'do Brexit properly'. The latter part won't be a vote winner with you!

Immigration is but a small part of the plan but useful dog whistle. It needs sorting nevertheless.

Their reasons for leaving may have differed from mine but why does that matter? You leave first and then argue domestically over which direction you want the country to take, that’s why we have elections. If a majority disagree with what I want so be it, I’ll try again next time.

Truss was also very pro immigration. 

43 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

Their reasons for leaving may have differed from mine but why does that matter? You leave first and then argue domestically over which direction you want the country to take, that’s why we have elections. If a majority disagree with what I want so be it, I’ll try again next time.

Truss was also very pro immigration. 

Truss was a LibDem, anti-monarchy, Remain supporting Tory that hated the EU and loved the monarchy. Mad as a box of frogs with extremely flexible beliefs.🥴

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Herman said:

Truss was a LibDem, anti-monarchy, Remain supporting Tory that hated the EU and loved the monarchy. Mad as a box of frogs with extremely flexible beliefs.🥴

You’ll get no argument with me on that one. A major problem for the Tories (and Labour to a lesser extent) is that their party members are a long way removed from their average voters so you end up with poor candidates such as Truss and Corbyn in charge 

• Like 1

What a dreadful 24 hours or so for the UK political media. We've gone from hyping up the possibility of Susan Hall winning London to reports suggesting Khan could be on for a historically large win. 

There has to be some self reflection on how easily reporters swallow anonymous briefings from partizan sources. It seems clear as day now that all those discussions about a shock Tory win was simply **** to move conversation away from the absolute shellacking they were getting elsewhere.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, king canary said:

What a dreadful 24 hours or so for the UK political media. We've gone from hyping up the possibility of Susan Hall winning London to reports suggesting Khan could be on for a historically large win. 

There has to be some self reflection on how easily reporters swallow anonymous briefings from partizan sources. It seems clear as day now that all those discussions about a shock Tory win was simply **** to move conversation away from the absolute shellacking they were getting elsewhere.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, king canary said:

It's not good is it. It wasn't just hacks like Kuennsberg either. I'll never trust another journalist. Until next time.

Myleene Klass is relieved though.

• Haha 1

London calling, now don't look to us

Phony Torymania has bitten the dust.

London calling, there wasn't a swing

Forget that ** on the Twitter thing.