A Load of Squit

New Tory Leader

Who is going to fill the 30p shaped hole? They need a working class northerner that can throw out a few stink bombs. Step up Jonathan Gullis?? 

Inability to call a spade a spade (Anderson), Truss now clearly insane and Braverman ever more rabid.

Seems to me the Tories are now in their final death spiral. Should of bounced out this lot years back when they could (c.f GOP).  Hindsight is wonderful but much too late now.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/feb/25/former-justice-secretary-calls-out-tory-party-colleagues-over-dangerous-rhetoric

Edited by Yellow Fever
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, Herman said:

"Every walk of life!!" 👀👀👀

They clearly represent the future 😄

Edited by Yellow Fever
  • Haha 2

Sunak and the Tory party in a continued state of denial this morning. Reminiscent of Corbyn's difficulties with anti-antisemitism not helped by their 'culture wars' playing to such a demographic. 

They really need a strong leader like SKS with stiff brush to clean out good and proper these Augean stables.

Edited by Yellow Fever

On 24/02/2024 at 11:45, dylanisabaddog said:

You've just missed an absolute whomper-stomper where "Truss-backed economists" suggested scrapping inheritance tax.

It's literally a tax that hits 4% of estates.

Truss-backed economists say abolishing inheritance tax would boost the workforce by 300,000 - Business News (crast.net)

Absolutely doolally. Raising the personal allowance makes far more sense.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheGunnShow said:

You've just missed an absolute whomper-stomper where "Truss-backed economists" suggested scrapping inheritance tax.

It's literally a tax that hits 4% of estates.

Truss-backed economists say abolishing inheritance tax would boost the workforce by 300,000 - Business News (crast.net)

Absolutely doolally. Raising the personal allowance makes far more sense.

Gunny, I'm really surprised you don't understand this. If you give the wealthiest in society even more money they spend it and it trickles down. Honestly........ 

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

Inability to call a spade a spade (Anderson), Truss now clearly insane and Braverman ever more rabid.

Seems to me the Tories are now in their final death spiral. Should of bounced out this lot years back when they could (c.f GOP).  Hindsight is wonderful but much too late now.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/feb/25/former-justice-secretary-calls-out-tory-party-colleagues-over-dangerous-rhetoric

Thomas Hardy once described marriage as "buying a month's pleasure for a lifetime's discomfort". I remember quoting it when the Tory party elected Boris Johnson their leader. They wed themselves to a compulsive liar corrupt to the core, who brought them a brief moment of great popularity bought at the expense of ridding the party of all those one-nation Tories who have been an essential moderating force. The constituency parties have been usurped by ex-Ukippers who select the likes of Anderson, Braverman, and Gullis et al as their candidates so there is now a continual lurch to ever more extreme right wing policies, away from the centre which has always been where elections are won in the UK. The emergence of Reform UK is only likely to accentuate that right wing lurch. It is difficult to see anything other than the prospect of many years in opposition indulging in factional infighting, reminiscent of Labour Party debacle of the 1980s. Neil Kinnock and John Smith were able to bring the Labour Party back from the far-left oblivion that Militant Tendency and their like threatened. It's difficult to see who is left in the Tory Party that might perform a similar job in retrieving it from far-right oblivion threatened by front-runners for the next Tory leadership battle.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Gunny, I'm really surprised you don't understand this. If you give the wealthiest in society even more money they spend it and it trickles down. Honestly........ 

There's a great joke about trickle-down economics but 99% of people don't get it. 😉

• Haha 4

On 26/02/2024 at 12:16, horsefly said:

Thomas Hardy once described marriage as "buying a month's pleasure for a lifetime's discomfort". I remember quoting it when the Tory party elected Boris Johnson their leader. They wed themselves to a compulsive liar corrupt to the core, who brought them a brief moment of great popularity bought at the expense of ridding the party of all those one-nation Tories who have been an essential moderating force. The constituency parties have been usurped by ex-Ukippers who select the likes of Anderson, Braverman, and Gullis et al as their candidates so there is now a continual lurch to ever more extreme right wing policies, away from the centre which has always been where elections are won in the UK. The emergence of Reform UK is only likely to accentuate that right wing lurch. It is difficult to see anything other than the prospect of many years in opposition indulging in factional infighting, reminiscent of Labour Party debacle of the 1980s. Neil Kinnock and John Smith were able to bring the Labour Party back from the far-left oblivion that Militant Tendency and their like threatened. It's difficult to see who is left in the Tory Party that might perform a similar job in retrieving it from far-right oblivion threatened by front-runners for the next Tory leadership battle.

Just to follow up these claims it's very interesting to hear the views of former Tory candidate Iain Dale:  

https://x.com/dave43law/status/1762481953301799341?s=20

• Like 1

In case anyone is wondering why Sunak made a hasty speech in Downing Street yesterday, it could of course be something to do with the publication at 4.00pm of 13 months worth of Border Agency reports. Previously withheld, they total 870 pages and describe a state of chaos. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/david-neal-reports-borders-watchdog-home-office-b2505283.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Has Farage been taken off the streets yet ? He’s an extremist to my view, or maybe they could start with our own Jools, he writes some pretty extreme stuff, or what about our old friend Paul Moy ?. There will of course be some Muslims, although I wonder if it only applies to Muslim’s.

Guto Hari, Boris Johnson's ex-spad, hand wringing about the divisiveness in politics. No self awareness these people.

Ipsos have been conducting polls since 1978, they've never had the Tories as low as the current 20%.

Rishi leading a history making government.

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Ipsos have been conducting polls since 1978, they've never had the Tories as low as the current 20%.

It would take something absolutely extraordinary to turn it round now. I've been told time and again that the Tories will close the gap but it's just getting wider at the moment. 

The poll of polls is suggesting 

Screenshot_20240304_143452_Chrome.thumb.jpg.25c19e8397e59fab2ec10f6c55c41e5d.jpg

Edited by dylanisabaddog

3 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

To use the Johnsonian spin - 'that's world beating'.

🙂

2 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

It would take something absolutely extraordinary to turn it round now. I've been told time and again that the Tories will close the gap but it's just getting wider at the moment. 

The poll of polls is suggesting 

Screenshot_20240304_143452_Chrome.thumb.jpg.25c19e8397e59fab2ec10f6c55c41e5d.jpg

This is why FPTP will continue long after the next election

12 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

This is why FPTP will continue long after the next election

It’s a shambles isn’t it. Reform 3rd most popular party and failing to win a single seat. Labour polling slightly less than the Tories last time but having around 80 more seats. The Lib Dems losing votes but receiving 5x the seats they had last time. Greens nearly twice as popular as the SNP but the SNP winning 9x as many seats.

You may as well decide which parties get which seat by a tombola 

23 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

It’s a shambles isn’t it. Reform 3rd most popular party and failing to win a single seat. Labour polling slightly less than the Tories last time but having around 80 more seats. The Lib Dems losing votes but receiving 5x the seats they had last time. Greens nearly twice as popular as the SNP but the SNP winning 9x as many seats.

You may as well decide which parties get which seat by a tombola 

We had a referendum about this and FPTP was the overwhelming winner. 

We've had 14 years of Tory Government with not a word about PR. Now the boot's on the other foot and all of a sudden you want to change the system. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

Ever since you posted this I've been wondering how on earth they're still managing to poll 20%.

It can only be that Boris's children are starting to reach voting age. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

We've had 14 years of Tory Government with not a word about PR. Now the boot's on the other foot and all of a sudden you want to change the system. 

Haven’t you been whining for 8 years about a referendum that didn’t go your preferred way? Seems a bit rich to imply that others should just shut up about FPTP because we voted to keep it.

For what it’s worth I did vote to keep FPTP, simply because I believe AV is a rubbish system that would have altered little. I want true PR whereby a parties vote largely tallies up with the number of seats won.

Why do you also assume I’m a Tory voter and only upset because Labour are going to form the next government. In all honesty I’m yet to decide who to vote for this time round, all options look awful. Usually I can hold my nose and vote for the least worst option, however this time I’m not sure there is one. It’s the first time I’ve ever been tempted to simply not bother 

10 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

In all honesty I’m yet to decide who to vote for this time round, all options look awful. Usually I can hold my nose and vote for the least worst option, however this time I’m not sure there is one. It’s the first time I’ve ever been tempted to simply not bother 

We currently have the most incompetent and corrupt Government in my lifetime. If you can't be bothered to vote against it then I despair for you. 

Incidentally, the reason there is little to choose between the parties is that there is no money. The country is on its knees, partly because of Covid but also because of Brexit and sheer incompetence. All of those things have cost us a fortune. 

If you don't think these people are incompetent, listen to this

https://www.google.co.uk/search?sca_esv=c5f02fd2b2be415a&sxsrf=ACQVn0-JvsF86x8iY7qo6K-UKmrBMO-TLg:1709623665394&q=radio+4+interview+gdp+debt&tbm=vid&source=lnms&prmd=nvibmtz&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi015m6zNyEAxVDV0EAHZvJDzUQ0pQJegQICxAB&biw=412&bih=777&dpr=2.63#fpstate=ive&ip=1&vld=cid:9708822c,vid:l7G5s_0ykhE,st:0

6 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

We currently have the most incompetent and corrupt Government in my lifetime. If you can't be bothered to vote against it then I despair for you. 

Incidentally, the reason there is little to choose between the parties is that there is no money. The country is on its knees, partly because of Covid but also because of Brexit and sheer incompetence. All of those things have cost us a fortune. 

If you don't think these people are incompetent, listen to this

https://www.google.co.uk/search?sca_esv=c5f02fd2b2be415a&sxsrf=ACQVn0-JvsF86x8iY7qo6K-UKmrBMO-TLg:1709623665394&q=radio+4+interview+gdp+debt&tbm=vid&source=lnms&prmd=nvibmtz&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi015m6zNyEAxVDV0EAHZvJDzUQ0pQJegQICxAB&biw=412&bih=777&dpr=2.63#fpstate=ive&ip=1&vld=cid:9708822c,vid:l7G5s_0ykhE,st:0

The Tories are useless, hence why I don’t want to vote for them. However none of the others appeal to me either. Starmer changes direction more times than a wind sock, I find him as trustworthy as Johnson, albeit much less brazen about his total lack of principles. Reform is just reheated Thatcherism, Lib Dems a bunch of middle class NIMBY loving managerialists, Greens would leave us economic turmoil. I’ve genuinely never despised every party as much as I do currently 

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

We didn't. The referendum you mention only had two options on the table, namely first past the post and alternative voting, which is basically a slightly modified version of first-past-the-post in that you can rank the options available instead of one single vote for one single party.

Proportional representation was never up for grabs. All we had for options were sh*t and sh*t with sprinkles.

• Like 2