A Load of Squit

New Tory Leader

1 minute ago, Yellow Fever said:

GIve TVB credit for losing/changing his faith.

It a very difficult thing to do for most - it take some intellect and an open mind to overcome ones natural bias. 

Or even, upon changing a stance on information that was better at the time, but newer research / information reveals something else.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Spoke a former Tory MP this morning who now works as a lobbyist in Westminster for the agricultural sector.

He said that there is a general sense that the Tory's could see a wipe out of Lib Dem circa-2015 proportions, when they went from 57 seats to 8 seats.

There is genuine fear, expectation even, that the Tory's will win fewer than 100 seats in the next general election and then never fully recover.

Whether this is a good or bad thing is subjective, I don't like the idea of any government operating without strong opposition, I hope that we'll at least see the Lib Dems recover to 30+ seats so that they have more scope to hold the government of the day to account (government of the decade even, lets face it, its Labours decade now).

1. I don't think that the collapse in seats will be as bad as current fears would suggest as long as they manage to get their act together to agree on a sensible candidate to see them through to the election.

2. A lot of the seats would be Lib Dem gains rather than straight to the Labour Party.

3. Given that whoever wins power is going to inherit an almighty mess, too big a majority would be problematic for the Labour Party s they are likely to have to make some unpalatable decisions. If I were a Labour Party member, I would prefer the Tories to be in power for a year or so more so that they have to "own" some of the difficult decisions that will be necessary.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Badger said:

1. I don't think that the collapse in seats will be as bad as current fears would suggest as long as they manage to get their act together to agree on a sensible candidate to see them through to the election.

2. A lot of the seats would be Lib Dem gains rather than straight to the Labour Party.

3. Given that whoever wins power is going to inherit an almighty mess, too big a majority would be problematic for the Labour Party s they are likely to have to make some unpalatable decisions. If I were a Labour Party member, I would prefer the Tories to be in power for a year or so more so that they have to "own" some of the difficult decisions that will be necessary.

Point 3 I think is exactly SKS position - the electorate are generally not that bright and will blame whoever is in power for the next year of whatever colour when the true horrors/cutbacks will enfold and hit home as necessary.

But -  just don't see the Tories like turkeys voting for Christmas either - although it would be in their long term interest if they did. Some would live to fight another day.

SKS is quite happy bobbing along with 25 point lead to let the Tories completely own the Truss /Johnson / Tory cluster f   k.

Edited by Yellow Fever

2 minutes ago, Badger said:

Have to agree I am a lifelong Tory voter and I am not sure which party I will voting for, ie I want my Tory MP out so my vote goes to whoever is in the best position to do that. 
I will not be looking at policies or anything, that way I don’t have to listen to any misleading information as per the Brexit vote.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Badger said:

The polls are all pointing towards a Labour landslide and don't seem too bouyant on the prospects of Lib Dems making major gains. Although of course, there are constituencies in some parts of the country where the Lib Dems are the opposition and Labour poll in single digits, they'll win a few of them. I can't see them recovering to pre-2010 levels of support, but would be nice if they could grab 25-30 and make their presence known in parliament.

There's also entire counties where the Lib Dems are pretty much non-existent and struggle to find candidates for local elections, that's the problem with the Lib Dems, they have some patches of the country with serious support, but they have some where they are practically extinct and its difficult to consider them a truly national party as a result.

That said, this is the Tory's lowest ebb as you've said, can only really recover from here to an extent. Next leader will look good just by virtue of how dreadful their predecessor performed. Shapps, Hunt, Sunak, Moundant, would all look good compared with Truss.

I was hoping that we'd end up with a Labour-Lib Dem coalition with the Lib Dems helping to peg Labour to the centre and to make them more resistant to the militant Corbynites trying to drag them to the left, there are still Corbyn allies in parliament, but Labour too strong to rely on the Lib Dems helping them into power now.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

I hate to say this - but rather like Thatcher in her first term with the Falklands, a serious UK war is the only thing that can save the Tories now. I really hope that's not prescient but needs saying.

2 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Point 3 I think is exactly SKS position - the electorate are generally not that bright and will blame whoever is in power for the next year of whatever colour when the true horrors/cutbacks will enfold and hit home as necessary.

But -  just don't see the Tories like turkeys voting for Christmas either - although it would be in their long term interest if they did. Som ewould live to fight another day.

SKS is quite happy bobbing along with 25 point lead to let the Tories completely own the Truss /Johnson / Tory cluster f   k.

Yes - I agree. It would probably be in the best long term interests of the Tory party to take a big defeat now and then crow from the side-lines as taxes are raised whilst the economy moves into recession. They would then say that it was all the new govt's fault etc etc and the press would fall into line. I could write the headlines myself months and years in advance.

• Like 1

So the Grim Reaper and Truss are meeting.

Today it is then for her to leave.

Sunak or Mordaunt next. We might then have a quieter period in government life. Fine by me just to put some kind of serious government together...until the GE.

Edited by sonyc

3 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

The polls are all pointing towards a Labour landslide and don't seem too bouyant on the prospects of Lib Dems making major gains. Although of course, there are constituencies in some parts of the country where the Lib Dems are the opposition and Labour poll in single digits, they'll win a few of them. I can't see them recovering to pre-2010 levels of support, but would be nice if they could grab 25-30 and make their presence known in parliament.

There's also entire counties where the Lib Dems are pretty much non-existent and struggle to find candidates for local elections, that's the problem with the Lib Dems, they have some patches of the country with serious support, but they have some where they are practically extinct and its difficult to consider them a truly national party as a result.

That said, this is the Tory's lowest ebb as you've said, can only really recover from here to an extent. Next leader will look good just by virtue of how dreadful their predecessor performed. Shapps, Hunt, Sunak, Moundant, would all look good compared with Truss.

I was hoping that we'd end up with a Labour-Lib Dem coalition, but Labour too strong to need it now.

Like many previous Tory voters, I want the lying c**** out. This is the decision even more so Northwards of the Midlands. They have destroyed our country with misleading rubbish, insulting people that dared to question them. If you live more to the South you really won’t see the sheer hatred towards them as you see up here. 
They are stoking up what they see as their one opportunity left anger towards the Unions and people that will demonstrate to show their displeasure. At the moment they are such a f****** joke that everyone is laughing at them. As it carries on this could move on aggressively ( I think that’s what they are hoping for ) commencing with a National strike, then demonstrations that get bigger, then civil disobedience.

For my part the only demonstration I have ever been on was those against Robert Chase. I happily broke pickets line. This shower of s*** have though changed my mind and I would happily join a demonstration to call for a GE and stand on picket lines with my fellow NHS workers, who are treated like s*** and blamed for the government’s decisions.

1 minute ago, Well b back said:

Like many previous Tory voters, I want the lying c**** out. This is the decision even more so Northwards of the Midlands. They have destroyed our country with misleading rubbish, insulting people that dared to question them. If you live more to the South you really won’t see the sheer hatred towards them as you see up here. 
They are stoking up what they see as their one opportunity left anger towards the Unions and people that will demonstrate to show their displeasure. At the moment they are such a f****** joke that everyone is laughing at them. As it carries on this could move on aggressively ( I think that’s what they are hoping for ) commencing with a National strike, then demonstrations that get bigger, then civil disobedience.

For my part the only demonstration I have ever been on was those against Robert Chase. I happily broke pickets line. This shower of s*** have though changed my mind and I would happily join a demonstration to call for a GE and stand on picket lines with my fellow NHS workers, who are treated like s*** and blamed for the government’s decisions.

The bit in bold, and a slice of "culture war" on the side, is the probable line of attack. Granted, the biggest proponent of that, the cretin Braverman, is out - but no doubt the likes of Rees-Mogg would happily babble out similar tosh.

2 minutes ago, sonyc said:

So the Grim Reaper and Truss are meeting.

Today it is then for her to leave.

Sunak or Mordaunt next.

Sky will be paying my £102 tonight then, small compensation for the thousands the last few weeks have cost me and my family.

Understand your angst WBB. However - if I was the press I wouldn't stand too close to any No 10 windows - danger of falling objects. I don't think the pitchforks will be necessary. 

4 minutes ago, Badger said:

It seems that Graham Brady has made a previously unscheduled visit to Number 10!

image.thumb.png.39ec806a4219b9dc5ac54bf889bda7fa.png

Looks like she’s resigning, she called the meeting with Brady

PM requested meeting with Sir Graham

e414b9e7-a5c2-45ac-b2ea-d3cc490579cd.jpg

Chris Mason

Political editor

An unscheduled meeting between the PM and Graham Brady, the head of the 1922 Committee, is taking place.

I understand the Prime Minister requested the meeting with Sir Graham.

Here we go and many will back this saying that Truss’s complete shambles, shows how good Johnson was

Johnson must return if Truss resigns - Dorries

If Liz Truss resigns, MPs must demand the return of former PM Boris Johnson - or else hold a leadership contest or a general election, Nadine Dorries says. 

The former culture secretary says it would be "an abomination" if Conservative MPs held a "coronation" for a new prime minister.

Explaining her reasoning, she says: "One person was elected by the British public with a manifesto and a mandate until January 25. 

"If Liz Truss is no longer PM there can be no coronation of previously failed candidates."

Here we go and many will back this saying that Truss’s complete shambles, shows how good Johnson was

Johnson must return if Truss resigns - Dorries

If Liz Truss resigns, MPs must demand the return of former PM Boris Johnson - or else hold a leadership contest or a general election, Nadine Dorries says. 

The former culture secretary says it would be "an abomination" if Conservative MPs held a "coronation" for a new prime minister.

Explaining her reasoning, she says: "One person was elected by the British public with a manifesto and a mandate until January 25. 

"If Liz Truss is no longer PM there can be no coronation of previously failed candidates."

LOL. 

I wrote on another thread a bit ago - think it was the Ukraine War one, that my last three weekend breaks abroad have, more or less, coincided with something big.

When I went to Finland on the second weekend of July, Boris Johnson resigned.
When I went to Warsaw at the end of August/start of September, Truss got the PM position.
The weekend after (pretty much), when I went to Vilnius, the Queen died.

I'm off to Dresden next week.

The bouffant-haired lying toad is going to get back in again, isn't he?

All the little toads are coming out now, those that backed her yesterday, to save a GE now slating her and calling for her to go. 
They don’t have the interest of our country at heart, just themselves.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

The bouffant-haired lying toad is going to get back in again, isn't he?

Privileges committee yet to rule ? 😉

I've had a jar of marmite that's lasted all the way through two monarchs, three home secretaries and four chancellors and shortly even three PMs.

Might it last to a general election? I doubt it.

Incredible rate of change. It's a sign of decay. What a grim period of UK political life. Apparently on Dutch TV our government is a daily source of satire and amusement.

• Haha 1

I guess she’s being told to resign as well, rather than being appointed as temporary PM but who knows what next from these comedians 

BREAKINGDeputy PM arrives at Downing Street

Deputy Prime Minister Therese Coffey has arrived at Downing Street via the back entrance amid talks inside Number 10 between Prime Minister Liz Truss and chairman of the 1922 Committee Sir Graham Brady.

26 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Never thought it would even be possible to get a PM somehow worse and hated more by her own MP's than May yet here we are

I thought at least May had a modicum of decency about her.

12 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Privileges committee yet to rule ? 😉

A lot to come down the line ... privileges, local elections, by-elections. That's before a hard winter of unrest (nurses) and usual winter NHS stories (which we really shouldn't be having). Whoever attempts to manage the UK at the moment has a tough task. That said, this lot have made things far more difficult - much of it self-inflicted.

Charles Walker MP was spot on last night stating many are in it for themselves not the country. Even last night senior Tories were at a champagne evening with hedge funders and bankers! So out of touch. It shouldn't be about absolute power for its own sake, for personal careers but about responsibility for the UK. A huge responsibility and trust. Just apologising for the mini budget for example is insufficient. It really is. That apology cannot make up for incompetence. Like a murder, an apology is not satisfactory. In corporate life one would be instantly dismissed. If this PM have had any scruples or honour she would have just resigned immediately. It was her entire agenda! You can't arrive into such a position by having photographs taken and uploaded on Instagram and be serious. It's all about you if you do that.

It was all about Johnson before too. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Chairman of the Tory party now arrived at number 10.

Quite some party 🎉

Circular firing squad ?

They f****** joke to the last, is this serious ????

Truss called meeting 'to keep in touch with mood of party'

e414b9e7-a5c2-45ac-b2ea-d3cc490579cd.jpg

Chris Mason

Political editor

A Downing Street source has said the PM called the meeting with Sir Graham Brady because she "wants to keep in touch with the mood of the party".

• Haha 1