Herman

Nature watch.

Not sure on the egyptian geese front im afraid.

The garden / woods are full of small deer at the moment. A neighbour of mine introduced me to a bird app which recognises bird noises when they make sounds. I'd definitely recommend it, its called Merlin Bird ID. I would of never of known we have green woodpeckers, common buzzards, kingfishers not to mention a host of others which I couldnt tell you whether they are common or rare. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I spooked my lizard friend and he ran through a pot. Unfortunately his back legs trapped him half way so I had to carefully help him out. He did try to bite me a few times but I managed to get him out.

p?i=6ec0607dcd1d5427d6d2c60913cec71b

• Like 3

These last few episodes of Springwatch were quite hard watching. The cruelty of the natural world in full view.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Herman said:

These last few episodes of Springwatch were quite hard watching. The cruelty of the natural world in full view.

My excitement at having a Robin nesting in my garden was short lived. A male blackbird entered the box, beat up the Robin and stole nesting material. The Robins still frequent the garden but won't go near the nest box. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

My excitement at having a Robin nesting in my garden was short lived. A male blackbird entered the box, beat up the Robin and stole nesting material. The Robins still frequent the garden but won't go near the nest box. 

The Robins in my greenhouse are on their second nest. The first was out in the open but the second has been well hidden, tucked into boxes of pots. There is a Magpie lurking about so I am trying to scare him away.

16 minutes ago, Herman said:

The Robins in my greenhouse are on their second nest. The first was out in the open but the second has been well hidden, tucked into boxes of pots. There is a Magpie lurking about so I am trying to scare him away.

I'm expecting you to stand guard for at least 16 hours a day. 

• Haha 1

On 07/06/2023 at 17:54, Herman said:

My Robins are back and in the nest! They are called Rocky and Adrienne. 

Spent a small fortune on mealworm which they won't touch but they're consuming huge amounts of sunflower hearts. They won't touch the Niger seeds either. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

There's been a lot on the radio about that sort of diet this week. They'll get diabetes 😱

7ot1tv.jpg

• Haha 2

On 19/05/2023 at 20:31, Pockthorpe said:

Let’s talk Swifts. I absolutely bloody love them. But I’m worried. I’ve got two pairs coming in under my pantiles same places as last year but haven’t seen any others in the village. Normally by now on a nice evening I can sit out and watch 20 or more . And don’t get me going on how much I love their screaming parties through my garden. 
I know it’s still relatively early doors but have any of you seen them in good numbers yet ?

Been watching a group of well over 20 swifts performing their wonderful manoeuvres from my back garden tonight. With a glass or two. I’m a happy boy . 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

My Robins are back and in the nest! They are called Rocky and Adrienne. 

Spent a small fortune on mealworm which they won't touch but they're consuming huge amounts of sunflower hearts. They won't touch the Niger seeds either. 

Yoga with Adrienne 🤔

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Pockthorpe said:

Been watching a group of well over 20 swifts performing their wonderful manoeuvres from my back garden tonight. With a glass or two. I’m a happy boy . 

Wonderful. Did they just arrive late? 

The number of House Martins in my area has dropped dramatically. When I first came here 10 years ago there were around 150. Last year it was down to about 40 and this year about 20.

4 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Wonderful. Did they just arrive late? 

Could be . I was only counting about 4 or 5 until a day or so ago. Maybe another bunch of them just arrived. That would be the latest I’ve known. Lots around this morning too. The largest group I ever see is when they go back , there are dozens of them flying around one night and the next night they’ve all gone. 

1 minute ago, Pockthorpe said:

Could be . I was only counting about 4 or 5 until a day or so ago. Maybe another bunch of them just arrived. That would be the latest I’ve known. Lots around this morning too. The largest group I ever see is when they go back , there are dozens of them flying around one night and the next night they’ve all gone. 

The House Martins on my estate all meet on one poor man's roof for a day or two before leaving. One year I was lucky enough to see them leave. 

It's good to know that Swift numbers are holding up. 

• Like 2

On 07/06/2023 at 17:54, Herman said:

Another successful fledging. 

• Like 3

Finally heard a Cuckoo last week, down at Surlingham Ferry. They appear to have declined markedly in recent years.

Yes ive seen a couple of those giant moths trying to fly into the house whilst the mrs went around screaming. Its nice to see different birds and nature unfold in our woods. Young muntjac all over and a resident young tawny owl being the highlights. No idea what are more common birds or not but we seem to have a plethora where we are with the stream and woods. The bird ID app helps with the following spotted so far:  Common buzzard, green woodpeckers, kingfishers and various others. I dont claim to know much about birds but its certainly nice seeing them and hearing them about.

• Like 2

On 19/06/2023 at 09:12, ricardo said:

Finally heard a Cuckoo last week, down at Surlingham Ferry. They appear to have declined markedly in recent years.

Heard one last Saturday while walking the wonderful footpath between Heacham and  Snettisham. Other highlights included a spoonbill and marsh harrier. 

• Like 2

Colony of white tailed bumble bees have taken up residence in one of my bird boxes. Delightful!

IMG_1929.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 29/06/2023 at 07:12, horsefly said:

Heard one last Saturday while walking the wonderful footpath between Heacham and  Snettisham. Other highlights included a spoonbill and marsh harrier. 

The big sky over Snettisham last Sunday.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1