Sign in to follow this  
Browno

League 1 & 2 season finished

6 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I think the EFL covered themselves procedurally through the method used for the votes. The FA successfully defended their null and void decision in an arbitration decision released yesterday on the same basis (i.e. that the FA was acting within its powers in deciding to null and void and followed the correct procedures).

Which is why in my view any challenge to be successful (and they may or may not) will need to be founded on something other than procedural impropriety.

Old ground , but the EPL have a right to change their rules at an AGM / EGM based on the 14 votes majority . I don’t know how this equates with EFL. 

On this basis , I suspect that is why Webber began inferring his legal argument would not be about “constitutional changes” but about the completion of league seasons , both EPL and EFL. 

As the EPL is likely to conclude - unless there is some incredibly bad spike in R or whatever , Webber may  still argue that EFL was not completed properly . It would be his only chance - but highly unlikely to succeed IMO. 

Rick Parry was in again today looking to ban parachute payments from the Prem , inferring that the money could be used to save “50 or 60” clubs that will fail as a result of Covid. You’ll note , that it is no longer “as a result of not restarting “ . Very different causes . 

The EFL seem to be happy that they covered any legal challenge but those clubs with deeper pockets might feel it's worth a shot. 

5 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Old ground , but the EPL have a right to change their rules at an AGM / EGM based on the 14 votes majority . I don’t know how this equates with EFL. 

On this basis , I suspect that is why Webber began inferring his legal argument would not be about “constitutional changes” but about the completion of league seasons , both EPL and EFL. 

As the EPL is likely to conclude - unless there is some incredibly bad spike in R or whatever , Webber may  still argue that EFL was not completed properly . It would be his only chance - but highly unlikely to succeed IMO. 

Rick Parry was in again today looking to ban parachute payments from the Prem , inferring that the money could be used to save “50 or 60” clubs that will fail as a result of Covid. You’ll note , that it is no longer “as a result of not restarting “ . Very different causes . 

Yes and the EFL: have the ability to amend their regulations as well. I don't think a challenge on the basis that you can't change the regulations will succeed. But a challenge on the basis that you can't change them in a way which is anti competitive or unfairly prejudicial to clubs harmed as a consequence might.

A challenge based on the fact the EFL failed to deduct sufficient points from Macclesfield for failing to pay their players on 3 occasions and failed to fulfil a fixture.  10 points for the first time with 4 suspended and then another 4 for another breach.  When based on the penalty for first offence should have been 24 in total, seeing Macclesfield 11 points behind Stevenage. 

I doubt it could be a precedent for us, but I notice that as far as League Two goes, irrespective of whether it is Stevenage or Macclesfield that goes down, one of the two is being reprieved from relegation despite being in an automatic slot, presumably on the weak basis that it cannot be determined who would come up from non-League to replace them.

3 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Sure, there would be a Quid Pro Quo with that though, which is no relegation from the PL / promotion from Championship.

If it's for the good of football after all .... 

39 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I doubt it could be a precedent for us, but I notice that as far as League Two goes, irrespective of whether it is Stevenage or Macclesfield that goes down, one of the two is being reprieved from relegation despite being in an automatic slot, presumably on the weak basis that it cannot be determined who would come up from non-League to replace them.

I don't think any will be a precedent for us in relaity as I think our games will get played but to the extent any are (i.e. the curtailment debate comes up again) then the Belgian decision will be very interesting to read when it comes out. Competition law in England and Belgium derives from the relevant EU Directives. If the practice of clubs voting for others to be relegated on PPG without the season completing is against competition law in Belgium then it would be surprising if its not against the law here as well. That said different jurisdictions and of course different facts and circumstances for each league.

What is interesting is that despite lots of claims that there is nothing clubs can do about it in both of the countires so far where the issue of relegation on PPG has found its way to the Courts the courts appear to have found a way to find it unfair and thus unlawful. That can often be the case where a decision just feels "wrong" or unfair. I would bet good money that the SPL will now dodge the issue with Hearts by agreeing to a convenient "re-structure."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Uncle Fred said:

I wonder what the financial implications will be for the binners and will they have to cut their squad? 

Maybe they need a stinking rich chinese investor instead of a stinking rich ticket tout ?

44 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Maybe they need a stinking rich chinese investor instead of a stinking rich ticket tout ?

Jon Delaney former CEO of FAI isnt doing much at the moment, hes a good friend of Evan's and not too fond of Roy Keane , not Chinese I'm afraid but stinking rich.  Top class  gladhander  and once he's in there, they'd  have terrible trouble  getting him out again .   Sounds like a perfect fit to me.

6 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Jon Delaney former CEO of FAI isnt doing much at the moment, hes a good friend of Evan's and not too fond of Roy Keane , not Chinese I'm afraid but stinking rich.  Top class  gladhander  and once he's in there, they'd  have terrible trouble  getting him out again .   Sounds like a perfect fit to me.

This is the Delaney who is frequently slagged off something rotten (for all I know with good reason) by Barry Glendenning of The Guardian?

8 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

This is the Delaney who is frequently slagged off something rotten (for all I know with good reason) by Barry Glendenning of The Guardian?

I'd  say so. He promised our Club a Schoolboy  International  match after the Club revamped its pitches a few years ago..... never happened. Next time he did a gladhanding  visit , as soon as he stepped out of the Car, our groundsman , a gruff Northern Irish fella, challenged him about it. His response was to write a cheque to cover the cost of some very nice 100% aluminium full size goals and nets..... and insisted the international would go ahead sometime soon   and that the goals would compliment and enhance the occasion.  I expect him to go into politics. Nice goals though and despite the kudos of holding the Schoolboy  int.  it would have been a major headache organisation wise......still hasn't happened or a date been named... and he's been ousted.  Does that sound like the guy you read about ?

• Haha 1