Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Payments to Sky

9 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

That is because you pay in advance dylan and as PL returns on 17th i would think your next bill will show it reinstated. You can look it up online under future bills for 3 months in advance. My bills are payable on 7th of each month and can view my advance payments for July, August and September.

Do you know if they switch it on again automatically or do you have to contact them? I couldn't find anything online

1 minute ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Do you know if they switch it on again automatically or do you have to contact them? I couldn't find anything online

Sky Sports pause will be automatically reinstated so nothing to do dylan.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, wooster said:

Til,

Your original comment about your Sky package has made me check all my bills - I think you've got a good deal compared to what I'm paying.

It seems there is a business opportunity for all the clever **** to sell their advice/knowledge to help idiots like me.

My arrangements are with BT,  Sky, Netflix & Prime and include multiple screens/licences/mobiles for a geographically dispersed (normally) household of 5,  and is all legally legit but it costs over £200/month (before any temporary rebates from Sky & BT).

Blimey wooster,  it sounds like you’re paying top dollar there 😮

It’ll be a pain in the a*se doing it but you’re certain to make some decent savings if you do some digging. You may have used it before but I find a good site is Money Saving Expert founded by Martin Lewis which uses easy to understand language to save money on lots of different deals. There are plenty of other comparison sites but I like MSE best.

Good luck....

31 minutes ago, wooster said:

Til,

Your original comment about your Sky package has made me check all my bills - I think you've got a good deal compared to what I'm paying.

It seems there is a business opportunity for all the clever **** to sell their advice/knowledge to help idiots like me.

My arrangements are with BT,  Sky, Netflix & Prime and include multiple screens/licences/mobiles for a geographically dispersed (normally) household of 5,  and is all legally legit but it costs over £200/month (before any temporary rebates from Sky & BT).

I am sure someone who appears to have disappeared thankfully from this thread could get you that all singing and dancing set up wooster for around thirty quid. 😜

1 hour ago, wooster said:

Til,

You’re sky’s favourite sort of  customer. It should be easy for you to get some money off though as they are pretty easy to deal with. Have a quick look at current offers they have and let them know that as you’ve been with them for a while you feel you’re paying too much. I suggested this to a mate at work, he came in the next day and they’d taken off £40 a month. 

1 hour ago, wooster said:

Til,

My arrangements are with BT,  Sky, Netflix & Prime and include multiple screens/licences/mobiles for a geographically dispersed (normally) household of 5,  and is all legally legit but it costs over £200/month (before any temporary rebates from Sky & BT)

Can I ask Wooster, because it completly baffles me, how can you possibly manage to fit all that in?

I can only assume that it's just a matter of "because it's there, I want it"

Perhaps you don't work but if you do, that's circa 8 hours a day and sleeping would be another circa 8 hours.

That leaves 8 hours a day for presumably sitting on your **** and watching TV.

I assume your other recreational activities are minimal.

Now we have 2 TV's, one Freeview and one Freesat which enable the wife & I to watch two different TV's at the same time if & when required.

However I rarely watch TV for more than 2 hours a day and with those 2 options I can usually find more than enough channels/programs to satisfy my needs.

If not then I've got BBC, ITV, C3 iPlayers, Youtube or the good old fashioned wireless to listen to.

Plus of course if I want to watch sport I've got a plethera of streaming sites that give me everything that you get but for free.

Having lived through a time when we had no TV set at all until I was 13 years old and only 2 or 3 channels to choose from until I was 25, I suspect I'm not alone in thinking that shelling out the extortionate fee of £200 a month, plus of course the Licence Fee, is a total waste of money. .

If it is an absolutely necessity for you to have, and pay for, all this stuff then I'm afraid you need to get a life.

Edited by Making Plans

That's a very fair question MP and perhaps the following may offer some explanation, if not justification.

1. I am the only person interested in sports in my household so I have to watch that in my study but I will drop BT when my contract ends in Oct

2. the rest of the household want to watch Sky Ent, box sets & cinema in HD - hence the extras plus multiscreen

3. our BT costs include 5 sim-only unlimited packages for our mobiles

4.  My two daughters returned from uni when the lockdown was imminent and with my teenage son I thought they'd appreciate Prime and Netflix (5 licences so they can use that later) - they're only £20/month though

5 I pay the BT landline fee annually to save a bit but my broadband (up to 6 mbps) and calls is still £25/month.

The trouble is that the Sky, landline and BT contracts end at different times - so looking to either harmonise or rationalise isn't easy.

I'd appreciate any advice as, having read this thread, I'm clearly being exploited.

Just to be clear we are not couch potatoes but simply 5 adults with very differing tastes in leisure entertainment.  I've simply tried to cater for everyone particularly during the last 2-3 months.

9 minutes ago, wooster said:

I will drop BT when my contract ends in Oct

👍

I guess if you can afford it and are happy with everything then it’s your choice, personally I would also ditch Netflix and negotiate a better deal with sky

@wooster while we’re sorting out your finances,😁 do you let all your insurance policies automatically renew? That’s a big mistake if you do

yep, Netflix and Prime are temporary  though the former has some good stuff on it and I enjoyed the Grand Tour until it abruptly ended for you-know-what.

I'm sure he can afford it and I agree it's his choice.

However, without too much effort I can think of hundreds of better things that 5 adults could do with £2,400 a year

FF - we have three new drivers on a car policy so that's already in the thousands.  Add my wife's speeding offences and multiple accidents and, to be honest,we're lucky to get insurance at all.

I'm the only named driver on my car to avoid exacerbating things.

Re house insurance I do check that annually but I get a discount for my car policy being with the same insurer that seems to make it competitive.

• Like 1

Your household sounds awesome Wooster👍

I just have me and mrs nutty, she watches what she wants on tv and I'm allowed to watch anything I want on the wireless.

Provided I wear headphones...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My car cost €650  four years ago. It cost me € 370 to get it through its MOT in March  . I am not poor,  but I dislike subscriptions  . Direct debits and standing orders.   

I understand Nutty.

The extra costs I incur (perhaps needlessly) offsets the non-stop earache I would otherwise experience.

A happy ship may be an expensive one but it helps morale in interesting times.

3 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Your household sounds awesome Wooster👍

5 adults in 5 different rooms all watching something different.

Interesting that you used the term household rather than family NN.

Seriously though Wooster, whilst I appreciate your dilemma, I thinks it's time you put your foot down.

After all your kids are all teenagers so it's time they learnt that money don't grow on trees and that they can have all this stuff just as soon as they start contributing.

Absolutely right MP - but foot down time is (i think) best left until after lock-down.

In our viewing habits we are 5 individuals rather than a family - gone are the days when we gathered around a single telly and had to get up to change to the only other channel.

Unfortunately my children's peers are, in the main, from privileged backgrounds and that tends to set the benchmark for their expectations rather than anything I may wish to impose upon them. 

It is very different from my experience when I was their age and when I had considerably less than they do. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, wooster said:

Absolutely right MP - but foot down time is (i think) best left until after lock-down.

In our viewing habits we are 5 individuals rather than a family - gone are the days when we gathered around a single telly and had to get up to change to the only other channel.

Unfortunately my children's peers are, in the main, from privileged backgrounds and that tends to set the benchmark for their expectations rather than anything I may wish to impose upon them. 

It is very different from my experience when I was their age and when I had considerably less than they do. 

Keep it real,no matter the circumstances . Kids are smarter than we think.  You come across as a thoughtful Dad  Woostero,  They'll  tell you that  in a few years.   Then theyll have their own and you'll  care for them too. Its grand. Mine are 32 and 27.

2nd edit   Our 2nd lot are  12, 7 and 2.

Edited by wcorkcanary