paul moy

Wuhan coronavirus

People on zero hour contracts, agency staff etc don't have the pleasure of sick leave. The joys of the gig economy. 

I doubt their employers give much of a toss either.

I presume he means statutory sick pay, about £95 a week I think, but I believe you only get it after 4 days so not sure how that works. Are people on zero hours contracts entitled to it?

I presume he means statutory sick pay, about £95 a week I think, but I believe you only get it after 4 days so not sure how that works. Are people on zero hours contracts entitled to it?

Yes but it is difficult to quantify what their ordinary hours are

5 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Yes but it is difficult to quantify what their ordinary hours are

Yep

Big bounce in the US markets today and FTSE back above 7000.

Temporary relief in my opinion. 

Rugby Internationals off, Formula 1 season in danger as are Olympics in Japan.

China has virtually shut down its economy but WHO still saying nothing to see here. Even the BBC are still pedaling the " more people die of seasonal flue" mantra.

3 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Rugby Internationals off, Formula 1 season in danger as are Olympics in Japan.

China has virtually shut down its economy but WHO still saying nothing to see here. Even the BBC are still pedaling the " more people die of seasonal flue" mantra.

Generally small boys from climbing the chimneys in those big Tory houses 😉

15 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Generally small boys from climbing the chimneys in those big Tory houses 😉

I bet you've been up a few flue's in your time Winky😀

4 minutes ago, ricardo said:

I bet you've been up a few flue's in your time Winky😀

Certainly poked a few fires.

• Haha 2

British Airways have cancelled all flights to and from Milan.

The sound of the stable door closing.

Mrs KG was speaking to the head of the applicable Emergency Services department for Cornwall Council today and she said that they don't expect it to peak for a while yet. It is almost that they cannot control it so they have to just roll with it. You cannot shut everything down. 

Just now, keelansgrandad said:

Mrs KG was speaking to the head of the applicable Emergency Services department for Cornwall Council today and she said that they don't expect it to peak for a while yet. It is almost that they cannot control it so they have to just roll with it. You cannot shut everything down. 

China did.

Can't see that flying in the states though. Already seen remarks that it would be unconstitutional to enact similar measures in the US of A.

Some of them have guns and they don't like being told what to do by the government.

Interesting times ahead.

China closing down, perhaps localising supply chains isnt such a bad idea 😉

Where's Len?

Edited by Van wink

6 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Its heading our way, all we can do is slow it down and hope that we develop some way to fight it, or that the summer kills it off. The case in Brazil will be interesting, its summer out there.

A place to watch is Singapore, permanent Summer with humidity there. But they have a very good medical system. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Perhaps someone should tell McGrath that it is alleged that the virus came from animals. And why doesn't she go swimming with Hippos?

It's satire

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Surfer said:

A place to watch is Singapore, permanent Summer with humidity there. But they have a very good medical system. 

Ive turned the heat up and put the sun lamp on. Mrs R is writing out postcards saying having a lovely time,  wish you were here.😎🌞🌤

8 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Ive turned the heat up and put the sun lamp on. Mrs R is writing out postcards saying having a lovely time,  wish you were here.😎🌞🌤

Being entirely selfish it did cross my mind as I have to travel to US next month that it may be 'better' in the individual case (as opposed to the general population where summer is best) to get it 'early' when the NHS can cope than later on when it may be overwhelmed. Childrens 'chicken pox' parties come to mind!

That’s an idea, invite a sufferer and pay them to sneeze on you, makes a change from bring a bottle. The UK plan seems to be contain it during the winter when the NHS is under massive stress and infect everyone in the summer when the nights are longer for the funerals. 

26 minutes ago, Van wink said:

That’s an idea, invite a sufferer and pay them to sneeze on you, makes a change from bring a bottle. The UK plan seems to be contain it during the winter when the NHS is under massive stress and infect everyone in the summer when the nights are longer for the funerals. 

I suspect you can run but can not hide from this!

The situation in China is a little awkward - if the disease does become endemic then it will reinfect China despite all their efforts from outside. They will have bought time.

People at last beginning to take it seriously.

The time to take action was two weeks ago. Don't wait for empty shelves.