Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

1 hour ago, Well b back said:

There I was led to believe trade is already noticeably down in the last few days, but in view of the fact that you think everybody is wrong, I guess I am wrong.

Trouble is, you'll believe anything. Trade figures are released quarterly, not every three days.

Moreover, it's likely people will have overordered in the run up to changes as a contingency, which means there'll almost certainly be a temporary dip. However, you'll find most companies in the EU do export outside of the EU, so they shouldn't be too traumatised.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

Hmmm, even though brexits have been wrong about everything else this time they will be right. 🤔

25 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Are the new Brexit border checks going as brilliantly as certain individuals on here would have you believe, or are they as shi*te as many of us expected. Perhaps Dover Council can discuss that question at their next meeting  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-68183854

Why are you all so obsessed with simplistic point scoring instead of unpicking what's going on? It's nonsensical for any local council to be responsible for funding a service for the whole UK. That's the issue here; as it pertains to all UK imports it's not a Brexit issue per se, only one that people are more aware of because some people are obsessed with Brexit.

Another thing worth bearing in mind is that pre-Brexit, this meat would simply be coming in from Europe unchecked instead of being caught like this. So much for EU standards.

On 06/02/2024 at 14:58, Herman said:

Hmmm, even though brexits have been wrong about everything else this time they will be right. 🤔

I'd say you remoaners aren't doing too well yourselves. Overall UK performance is well shy of being anything like as bad as the catastrophic cliff-edge disaster predicted.

The remoan MO:
1)Predict disaster for a subject because of Brexit

2) If - no disaster: move on and predict another disaster (multiple predicitions of disaster can run concurrently on different subjects)

-slight issues: IT'S A DISASTER BECAUSE OF BREXIT!!!!!!!!!!

-Actual disaster: IT'S A DISASTER BECAUSE OF BREXIT!!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Why are you all so obsessed with simplistic point scoring instead of unpicking what's going on? It's nonsensical for any local council to be responsible for funding a service for the whole UK. That's the issue here; as it pertains to all UK imports it's not a Brexit issue per se, only one that people are more aware of because some people are obsessed with Brexit.

Another thing worth bearing in mind is that pre-Brexit, this meat would simply be coming in from Europe unchecked instead of being caught like this. So much for EU standards.

Not a Brexit issue, hahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahha!!!!

Goldman Sachs they latest to point out what so many others have already pointed out. Brexit is screwing our economy

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/2637e62a-9979-45c3-99c5-e174d8074954?shareToken=17961b4e70313d66123f0ac9c9ea7557

Brexit delivered 5% blow to UK economy, says Goldman Sachs

Britain has “significantly underperformed” compared with the European Union and the United States since the vote to leave in June 2016, the bank claims
  • Thanks 1

On 11/02/2024 at 21:20, sonyc said:

On a day with a story about farmers complaining and protesting about Brexit comes some breaking news this evening from the Independent about the cost in loss of trade. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-uk-economy-cost-damage-b2491585.html

Funnily enough, farmers complaining and protesting in France and throughout the EU at the moment as well. Complaining of not being paid enough and being choked by excessive regulation.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/why-are-french-farmers-protesting-2024-01-29/

7 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Funnily enough, farmers complaining and protesting in France and throughout the EU at the moment as well. Complaining of not being paid enough and being choked by excessive regulation.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/why-are-french-farmers-protesting-2024-01-29/

Farmers have been protesting in France for so many years haven't they LYB....I guess we are learning how to take direct action here too!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Nothing to do with Brexit. 

I'm sure somebody will be along soon to cherry pick some numbers completely out of context. You've never had it so good etc.  

Where I agree with Truss is that economic growth is what we need. Short of going to a full US system (hire'em fire'em) which the average protectionist Brexiteer would hate how do you easily increase our exports and business - Oh yes - that thing called the EU and SM next door. Duh. It just isn't rocket science.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

I'm sure somebody will be along soon to cherry pick some numbers completely out of context. You've never had it so good etc.  

Where I agree with Truss is that economic growth is what we need. Short of going to a full US system (hire'em fire'em) which the average protectionist Brexiteer would hate how do you easily increase our exports and business - Oh yes - that thing called the EU and SM next door. Duh. It just isn't rocket science.

A big and obvious millstone around this country's economic neck and yet it barely ever gets mentioned.

I guess it is up to us few hardy individuals to keep reminding people of this epic **** up. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Yellow Fever said:

It certainly isn't and investing billions a year into producing clean and much lower cost energy would also certainly kickstart our economy and a massive rollout of insulating the worst insulated housing stock in Europe would also be a stimulus - shame it is only the Green Party (and to some extent the Lib Dems & SNP) that appear to believe in this.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

It certainly isn't and investing billions a year into producing clean and much lower cost energy would also certainly kickstart our economy and a massive rollout of insulating the worst insulated housing stock in Europe would also be a stimulus - shame it is only the Green Party (and to some extent the Lib Dems & SNP) that appear to believe in this.

To be fair SKS believes this as well - however unlike the Greens or Libdems he's very likely to be in office later this year so can't write 'blank' cheques as they will be presented for payment. All that changed was the formal £28Bn 'target' dropped due to economic realities - not the intention so to do or direction of travel. 

20 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

To be fair SKS believes this as well - however unlike the Greens or Libdems he's very likely to be in office later this year so can't write 'blank' cheques as they will be presented for payment. All that changed was the formal £28Bn 'target' dropped due to economic realities - not the intention so to do or direction of travel. 

I'm not sure he does believe it - he knows that it would be electorally popular but whether he really believes it or even genuinely understands it I rather doubt.

The Labour Party have long adopted a policy of cutting and pasting big chunks of the Green Party manifesto, of say a couple or three  elections ago, into their own manifesto but that doesn't mean they ever really believed it or were genuinely committed to it.

Nor do I think the economic realities argument washes - of course the Tories generally and Truss specifically have made everything harder across the board for the next Government but that clearly isn't the reason for dropping the target which is simply that even with a huge lead in the polls Starmer hasn't got the b@lls to go toe to toe with the Tories (or perhaps more accurately the Daily Mail) and put the case for the policies he (supposedly) believes in -  this particular policy is far from an isolated example.

And it isn't just Starmer, Rachel Reeves is supposed to know a bit about economics, certainly more than a succession of Tory chancellors, albeit that is an incredibly low bar, but in the end she has also turned out to be a major disappointment.

When she announced this policy she spoke at some length to stress that it was nothing at all to do with 'signing blank checks' or even 'spending' taxpayers money - it was investing money into our economy with would produce a very significant (and pretty rapid) return on that investment, unlock a huge amount of private sector investment (which is currently going overseas) and give a huge stimulus to jobs and the economy generally. Unfortunately she seems to forgotten all that or again perhaps she never believed it in the first place which would would even more disappointing.

As far as I can see the problem we have is that in our rotten two party system, we have two parties who are happy to talk all day long about the climate emergency and what they are going to do about but in reality they don't view it as an emergency at all. Its just another problem they need a policy for, like potholes in our roads or schools and hospitals with ceilings that are falling down - you know the sort of problems we'll try and fix in a few years time when we've got the time and money, but basically mañana.

That isn't how governments, or potential governments, should deal with emergencies.

• Like 1

On 15/02/2024 at 13:23, Creative Midfielder said:

I'm not sure he does believe it - he knows that it would be electorally popular but whether he really believes it or even genuinely understands it I rather doubt.

The Labour Party have long adopted a policy of cutting and pasting big chunks of the Green Party manifesto, of say a couple or three  elections ago, into their own manifesto but that doesn't mean they ever really believed it or were genuinely committed to it.

Nor do I think the economic realities argument washes - of course the Tories generally and Truss specifically have made everything harder across the board for the next Government but that clearly isn't the reason for dropping the target which is simply that even with a huge lead in the polls Starmer hasn't got the b@lls to go toe to toe with the Tories (or perhaps more accurately the Daily Mail) and put the case for the policies he (supposedly) believes in -  this particular policy is far from an isolated example.

And it isn't just Starmer, Rachel Reeves is supposed to know a bit about economics, certainly more than a succession of Tory chancellors, albeit that is an incredibly low bar, but in the end she has also turned out to be a major disappointment.

When she announced this policy she spoke at some length to stress that it was nothing at all to do with 'signing blank checks' or even 'spending' taxpayers money - it was investing money into our economy with would produce a very significant (and pretty rapid) return on that investment, unlock a huge amount of private sector investment (which is currently going overseas) and give a huge stimulus to jobs and the economy generally. Unfortunately she seems to forgotten all that or again perhaps she never believed it in the first place which would would even more disappointing.

As far as I can see the problem we have is that in our rotten two party system, we have two parties who are happy to talk all day long about the climate emergency and what they are going to do about but in reality they don't view it as an emergency at all. Its just another problem they need a policy for, like potholes in our roads or schools and hospitals with ceilings that are falling down - you know the sort of problems we'll try and fix in a few years time when we've got the time and money, but basically mañana.

That isn't how governments, or potential governments, should deal with emergencies.

I've told you many times there is no difference between the two major parties and here they are quietly aligning policies even before the election. If Starmer is comfortable to drop major policies pre-election, it make you wonder what he will drop post-election. It's almost as if someone else has their hand on the tiller so to speak.

On 16/02/2024 at 05:58, Herman said:

I am sure all the brexits are happy for the Germans.😬

Germany now world's third largest economy as Japan loses its spot.

https://www.euronews.com/business/2024/02/15/germany-now-worlds-third-largest-economy-as-japan-loses-its-spot

I’m sure the Germans are cheering to the rafters. Never mind that they’re in recession, they’re now third because the Japanese economy is performing even worse 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Fen Canary said:

I’m sure the Germans are cheering to the rafters. Never mind that they’re in recession, they’re now third because the Japanese economy is performing even worse 

Yup. The whole world's going into recession.

On 15/02/2024 at 14:23, Creative Midfielder said:

I think everyone can see what's going on with the climate, but it's where doing something about it hits people in day to day life where governments become unpopular. As usual, short term party political interest trumps long term sustainable interests for the country.

• Like 1

Still desperately clutching those straws, Fen? Let it go, it's dead. It's not prime ribeye steak, it's a rotten old corpse. Abandon the dark side and walk to the light. 

4 minutes ago, Herman said:

Still desperately clutching those straws, Fen? Let it go, it's dead. It's not prime ribeye steak, it's a rotten old corpse. Abandon the dark side and walk to the light. 

I’m not the one constantly dragging it up my friend. For most of the country it’s no longer a point of discussion, it’s just a sad few who can’t let it go. Everybody else has long since moved on 

1 hour ago, Fen Canary said:

I’m not the one constantly dragging it up my friend. For most of the country it’s no longer a point of discussion, it’s just a sad few who can’t let it go. Everybody else has long since moved on 

You know exactly why nobody wants to talk about it.