Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

6 hours ago, Fen Canary said:

You wanted hormone treated beef in the UK did you? 

No, I wanted to stay in the EU.

Where we were better off, economically.

And also didn't have hormone treated beef.

4 hours ago, Herman said:

You did. You've been cheering for this and the anzac's poison they were going to dump on us. 

There's no scientific evidence to support your claim. The EU's the only market in the world that bans it, other than us. It's simply a protectionist move, and one that has no advantages for us to comply with given the needs for veterinary checks of all food exports. If they have to have vet checks anyway, let our producers have the choice of whether to keep hormones out for stuff if they want to sell it to the EU, or start using them to be more competitive outside the EU and sell cheaper into the UK market.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

Brexit was sold to a lot of different groups of people on contradictory, mutually opposed terms -

Immigration

Economic Growth (the streets were surely paved with gold outside the EU)

NHS (Were's that £350M/week)

So called 'sovereignty' (we actually now have less influence than we did before on standards - see the 'drug' issue)

It should come as no surprise to anybody i.e the fishermen or farmers that it hasn't worked out as they way they were told.

In reality, for most of us economically active and compos-mentis we have seen the light, realized we were sold a lemon and yes most want back in. That's what the 'polls' say very clearly.

That is the onward political debate as BF alludes too.!

9 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

It's not an unmitigated disaster. Nobody can seriously say that leaving the EU has been remotely as bad as the worst predictions of remain. We've seen growth in exports of goods and services outside of the EU; in fact, in recent figures, sales to the EU have held up better than elsewhere in spite of no longer being in the EU. That raises a big question as to whether the EU trade agreements were as important as believed. Sterling trades at about the same price it did in 2010, when we were in the EU.

And we're also at a point where all of the major strategic moves that might compensate outside the EU are in very early stages.

You rather prove my point, you are in denial but also a massive minority. There is no doubt the country has gone backwards since 2016 and there is no doubt this is related to related to Brexit. And "major strategic moves" that will "compenstate"? ****ing hell, man. Have you learnt nothing, they don't exist, they never existed, they were a fantasy to fool the gullible.

We will have a General Election, kick the Brexiteers out of Parliament and start unpicking this disaster.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BigFish said:

You rather prove my point, you are in denial but also a massive minority. There is no doubt the country has gone backwards since 2016 and there is no doubt this is related to related to Brexit. And "major strategic moves" that will "compenstate"? ****ing hell, man. Have you learnt nothing, they don't exist, they never existed, they were a fantasy to fool the gullible.

We will have a General Election, kick the Brexiteers out of Parliament and start unpicking this disaster.

To be in denial, you'd have had to have proved your point, and you haven't. The maximum hit has been estimated at 5%. That's a setback, not an 'unmitigated disaster'. Business and the media are all bombarding people with largely recycled news on the negatives disproportionately in a situation where nobody knows to what extent things have been Covid and global political instability.

1 minute ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

The maximum hit has been estimated at 5%. That's a setback, not an 'unmitigated disaster'.

5% of what?

17 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Not at all, that we have left the EU is accepted. The majority also recognise it has been an unmitigated disaster. There remains a Brexiteer legacy, not least within the Conservative Party and Parliament that continue "going round in your own circle jerk" as you put it, in denial. The GE in 2024 will be the first post-Brexit election and we will sweep these nut jobs out of power and back into the fringes where they belong. Only then can steps start to be taken to fix this mess. The country has moved on, soon the government will, perhaps it is time for you to wake up and smell the coffee.

Spot on BF! I find it weird that people think we should all pretend that because the decision to leave has been implemented we should now stop debating about its consequences and cease discussion about why it has failed and how we might salvage what we can from a dreadful deal. The absurdity of their view is perfectly demonstrated by their own logic, which would dictate that we should never have had the Brexit referendum because the UK public had previously voted to remain in the EU (by a far bigger margin btw) and so those wanting to leave should have shut their mouths and just got on with it.

1 minute ago, BigFish said:

5% of what?

GDP. Maximum, I should stress, based on counterfactuals that assume an awful lot and largely compare to countries not in the EU; it's likley less.

Hopefully I'll get my visa soon. Can't wait to leave this ****hole.

3 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Spot on BF! I find it weird that people think we should all pretend that because the decision to leave has been implemented we should now stop debating about its consequences and cease discussion about why it has failed and how we might salvage what we can from a dreadful deal. The absurdity of their view is perfectly demonstrated by their own logic, which would dictate that we should never have had the Brexit referendum because the UK public had previously voted to remain in the EU (by a far bigger margin btw) and so those wanting to leave should have shut their mouths and just got on with it.

That'd be fine if you actually discussed anything else about the issues in any sensible way. You have nothing at all to say about whether, in the circumstances, you'd rather the UK stuck to its guns on hormone treated beef and walked away from agreement with Canada. You're not interested in whether the hit to Canadian business might cause them to relent on this specific issue. You've nothing to say on whether there's actually reasonable cause to ban hormone treated beef at all. All your commentary is pointless head-banging about how wrong it was to leave the EU.

2 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

That'd be fine if you actually discussed anything else about the issues in any sensible way. You have nothing at all to say about whether, in the circumstances, you'd rather the UK stuck to its guns on hormone treated beef and walked away from agreement with Canada. You're not interested in whether the hit to Canadian business might cause them to relent on this specific issue. You've nothing to say on whether there's actually reasonable cause to ban hormone treated beef at all. All your commentary is pointless head-banging about how wrong it was to leave the EU.

Hahahaha! Banging on about hormone treated beef (banned ages ago based upon huge amounts of medical evidence, btw) in order to ignore the FUNDAMENTAL point I made, that Brexit has rendered the UK feeble in trade negotiations. I repeat, Canada wouldn't dream of attempting to raise the idea of exporting hormone treated beef in EU negotiations. It is the sign of just how feeble the UK's position is that Canada made accepting it a condition of continuing talks. EVERY deal negotiated so far has resulted in a better deal for the other country compared to the UK. And what have we gained by rendering the UK so weak in trade negotiations? What non-trade benefits can UK citizens point to as worth the sacrifice? Sweet FA!

14 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Hopefully I'll get my visa soon. Can't wait to leave this ****hole.

What the PinkUn message board?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, BigFish said:

What the PinkUn message board?

Oh no, just the UK.

• Like 2

To all you poverty stricken families out there who can't afford to feed your kids, can you not just take LYB's advice and STFU with your whining about the effects of Brexit. Have you not considered just getting on with it and incorporating two days of fasting a week instead of your current one.

https://x.com/kercle/status/1750853572701409592?s=20

I thought you'd all like to see what's changing this year. Lifted from one my far to numerous HMRC emails! Read it and weep!.

All this extra Brexity (world leading no less - I'm sure Johnson is still there in spirit f x x k ing business) red tape. 

Dear customer,

From‌‌‌ ‌‌31‌‌‌ ‌‌January 2024 – new border requirements will come into effect when importing certain commodities, including some food, into Great Britain. This will mark the start of the introduction of the UK’s new Border Target Operating Model.

On 29‌‌‌ ‌‌August 2023, the UK Government published the Border Target Operating Model (BTOM), setting out our new approach to Sanitary and Phytosanitary controls, and Safety and Security controls. 

This model seeks to deliver an innovative, world-leading border that will support UK trade across the globe. The BTOM is also designed to minimise trader burdens by creating a digitally advanced, risk-based and simplified import regime, that will bolster UK biosecurity and security protections, whilst crucially maintaining the vital flow of goods.

Supply chains will need to act now to be prepared for the upcoming changes set out below.

BTOM Implementation Timeline

31‌‌‌ ‌‌January 2024:

the introduction of health certification on imports of medium-risk animal products and high-risk food and feed of non-animal origin (HRFNAO) from the EU and European Free Trade Association (EFTA)

the introduction of phytosanitary certification on medium-risk plants and plant products from the EU, Switzerland and Lichtenstein

the removal of pre-notification requirements for low-risk plant and plant products from the EU, Switzerland and Lichtenstein

low-risk animal product imports from EU and EFTA countries must continue to pre-notify as now

the introduction of pre-notification for HRFNAO, medium and low-risk animal products, from the EU, EFTA and non-qualifying Northern Ireland goods that are shipped from the island of Ireland

the introduction of pre-notification for medium-risk plants and plant products from the EU, Switzerland and Lichtenstein as well as for non-qualifying Northern Ireland goods, that are shipped from the island of Ireland

30‌‌‌ ‌‌April 2024:

the introduction of documentary and risk-based identity and physical checks on medium risk animal products, plants, plant products and high-risk food and feed of non-animal origin from the EU

existing inspections of high-risk plants/plant products from the EU, Switzerland and Lichtenstein will move from destination to border control posts

we will also begin to simplify imports from non-EU countries. This will include the removal of health certification and routine checks on low-risk animal products, plants, plant products from non-EU countries as well as reduction in physical and identity check levels on medium-risk animal products from non-EU countries  

31‌‌‌ ‌‌October 2024:

the requirement for Safety and Security declarations for imports into Great Britain from the EU or from other territories where the waiver applies will come into force from 31‌‌‌ ‌‌October 2024 as set out in the original Target Operating Model

alongside this, we will introduce a reduced Safety and Security dataset for all imports and use of the UK Single Trade Window will remove duplication where possible across different pre-arrival datasets – such as pre-lodged customs declarations

Act now to ensure that you and your supply chains are compliant when these changes come in.

Yours faithfully
HM Revenue and Customs and Defra

Edited by Yellow Fever
  • Sad 1

That's a lot of red tape. Rees Mogg will be furious. Hopefully my bosses/buyers are on the ball. (Although as one is a Brexiter I secretly hope the extra paperwork is a real ballache for him.)

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Herman said:

That's a lot of red tape. Rees Mogg will be furious. Hopefully my bosses/buyers are on the ball. (Although as one is a Brexiter I secretly hope the extra paperwork is a real ballache for him.)

Sorry Herman - Might of crossed more into your territory there. I was just deleting stuff off my emails.

On the other hand - I think all Brexity pensioners should have to answer multiple choice questions on this (no errors allowed) to claim their weekly or monthly dosh. Fairs fair as all this world beating red tape is so easy to conform too!

What's the phrase - they know not what they do.

55 minutes ago, Herman said:

Deserves a repeat.

And the politician tries blaming the interviewer for....basically holding him to account. Enough said. Borrowed the Johnson textbook of being unable to remember despite the evidence presented and then blames the Remain end!!!

Desperate.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Sorry Herman - Might of crossed more into your territory there. I was just deleting stuff off my emails.

On the other hand - I think all Brexity pensioners should have to answer multiple choice questions on this (no errors allowed) to claim their weekly or monthly dosh. Fairs fair as all this world beating red tape is so easy to conform too!

What's the phrase - they know not what they do.

You carry on mate. You're highly likely to know more than me as I am mostly out of the loop nowadays.👍

2 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

And the politician tries blaming the interviewer for....basically holding him to account. Enough said. Borrowed the Johnson textbook of being unable to remember despite the evidence presented and then blames the Remain end!!!

Desperate.

They're a parody, although you show how hard it is to tell these days.😁

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Oh no, just the UK.

Where are you going?

6 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Where are you going?

Germany. I nearly went there after the Brexit result (the only thing that stopped me were the tax rules on the self-employed - VAT is charged at a far lower turnover relative to the UK), and since meeting Miss TGS in Germany in 2022 and we're pretty much a year into a LDR now, it makes perfect sense to go there rather than suggest that she comes over here.

Especially as she's just picked up an excellent job in her field (she's a radiologist), and I'm always good in translation provided the Internet's quick. Got another visa appointment a week on Monday, just need to get the insurance and the flights sorted soon and printed out, and that should be everything down for the application.

Just got to dial back my output in that first year to stay below their VAT threshold, but it'll be plain sailing after that. And there's the bonus that I'll earn far more in rent from my place in the UK than I'd be paying over there, and that it wouldn't be subject to income tax in either country as it's not earned in Germany, and below the threshold in the UK.

Edited by TheGunnShow
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Germany. I nearly went there after the Brexit result (the only thing that stopped me were the tax rules on the self-employed - VAT is charged at a far lower turnover relative to the UK), and since meeting Miss TGS in Germany in 2022 and we're pretty much a year into a LDR now, it makes perfect sense to go there rather than suggest that she comes over here.

Especially as she's just picked up an excellent job in her field (she's a radiologist), and I'm always good in translation provided the Internet's quick. Got another visa appointment a week on Monday, just need to get the insurance and the flights sorted soon and printed out, and that should be everything down for the application.

Just got to dial back my output in that first year to stay below their VAT threshold, but it'll be plain sailing after that. And there's the bonus that I'll earn far more in rent from my place in the UK than I'd be paying over there, and that it wouldn't be subject to income tax in either country as it's not earned in Germany, and below the threshold in the UK.

No doubt about it, hope it all goes well for you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

GDP. Maximum, I should stress, based on counterfactuals that assume an awful lot and largely compare to countries not in the EU; it's likley less.

So £110,000,000,000

A year

Every Year

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Good Luck, you do sound sorted

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Where abouts are you looking to head to?

Just now, Herman said:

Where abouts are you looking to head to?

Legefeld (near Weimar), in all likelihood. Miss TGS lives in Jena, which is expensive to rent in as it is a major university city with a corresponding proportion of students. We've agreed that I live separately but relatively close by so we can date like a "normal" couple for a year or so before deciding on moving in together.

Weimar's a fair bit cheaper and a charming place in its own right, so I'm more than happy to wander there.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Legefeld (near Weimar), in all likelihood. Miss TGS lives in Jena, which is expensive to rent in as it is a major university city with a corresponding proportion of students. We've agreed that I live separately but relatively close by so we can date like a "normal" couple for a year or so before deciding on moving in together.

Weimar's a fair bit cheaper and a charming place in its own right, so I'm more than happy to wander there.

Nice. I've been to Goethe's House in Weimar but don't remember much except it was a bit better looked after than the rest of the grotty DDR.😁

Just now, Herman said:

Nice. I've been to Goethe's House in Weimar but don't remember much except it was a bit better looked after than the rest of the grotty DDR.😁

Weimar had a lot of money spent on it when it became European Capital of Culture and there was a spell where Erfurt Airport was something of a low-level hub for the centre of Germany, but that's faded over the last few years. Been a lot of money spent in a fair few places. Cottbus is a city that looked grotty when I was first there at the turn of the millennium but is beginning to look quite polished in many areas nowadays and much more like a gateway to one of eastern Germany's most popular landscapes in the Spreewald.

Thought Parchim was going to be a grotty backwater when there for a week but was very pleasantly surprised with the town centre. The southern part of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern is generally economically very weak by German standards (as is most of the border region with Poland) although Parchim might not be the best example of it.

Erfurt's stunning though. Easily overlooked, and it really shouldn't be.

• Thanks 1