Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

1 hour ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Your fault, seeing as you voted for it.

Thanks for your input littleyellow w***** into a thread that you claimed was now outdated and irrelevant.

For your info, what I voted for was

A promise that this would not happen on our borders.

A promise that migrants could still be turned back to France etc as per the EU contracts

That British people wanted the jobs vacated by our European friends - No sign of that in the NHS or on the farms

Industries and institutions would not leave the country

Our economy would be 8% better outside the EU not 4% worse

£350,000,000 every week extra to the NHS

The U.K. would be the country developing vaccines and medicines, unless I have missed something that now seems to be done in America, Europe and India.

Never mind my first chance to put it all right comes in May, and then my main target my MP shortly after that. 
See you in a couple of months time, so don’t bother writing some totally irrelevant reply. I am sure when I next post you will be trolling me with some more of your s***.

19 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Thanks for your input littleyellow w***** into a thread that you claimed was now outdated and irrelevant.

For your info, what I voted for was

A promise that this would not happen on our borders.

A promise that migrants could still be turned back to France etc as per the EU contracts

That British people wanted the jobs vacated by our European friends - No sign of that in the NHS or on the farms

Industries and institutions would not leave the country

Our economy would be 8% better outside the EU not 4% worse

£350,000,000 every week extra to the NHS

The U.K. would be the country developing vaccines and medicines, unless I have missed something that now seems to be done in America, Europe and India.

Never mind my first chance to put it all right comes in May, and then my main target my MP shortly after that. 
See you in a couple of months time, so don’t bother writing some totally irrelevant reply. I am sure when I next post you will be trolling me with some more of your s***.

Funnily enough, I was thinking of biting back with insults to match your own, but Sonyc's words gave me pause for thought to question whether that's the right thing; I'll leave your insults hanging there for you to think about. It's definitely not trolling to point out the absurdity of your posturing against the same people you voted with at the time.

Haven't you worked out yet that your vote mattered? It was YOU  who decided to unquestioningly do what your MP said, it was YOU that didn't bother listening to the remain arguments?

You distance yourself from the others who voted for Brexit and blame them for the outcome to try and curry favour with Herman and so on, but you are every bit as responsible, while also underlining that the narratives that Herman, Yellow Fever and so on push about everyone who voted for it being 'racist bigots' are simplistic and damaging in their own right. Try following Sonyc's example and questioning your own actions more.

Your problem is you're too ready to forgive yourself for your own perceived mistakes while refusing to take such a tolerant and forgiving view of the perceived mistakes of others or questioning whether any of the mitigation you apply to yourself shouldn't be applied to them.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

You make a snide remark towards WBB, who has been honest throughout, unlike yourself, and then try to be peacemaker by then patronising him. You're simply a troll and a WUM. Get lost.

24 minutes ago, Herman said:

You make a snide remark towards WBB, who has been honest throughout, unlike yourself, and then try to be peacemaker by then patronising him. You're simply a troll and a WUM. Get lost.

It wasn't snide. He voted for Brexit, but thinks he can remove himself from the others who voted for it and sit in judgement condemning millions of people he doesn't know. It's appalling arrogance on his part to protect his own ego regarding his own decision.

But you'll accept this from WBB telling you what you want to hear while threatening to fall out with Ricardo because he says stuff you don't want to hear, regardless of the fact that he's one of the most mild-mannered people on here.

I've been 100% honest throughout. I voted remain and I voted lib dem twice in favour of confirmatory referendum and revoking article 50. Ask the Lib Dem office in Norwich if they provided a proxy for a chap in the Gironde in the 2017 and 2019 elections if you want to check up on me. Sadly, their campaign manager, Erlend Watson, died of complications relating to Covid and underlying health issues last year but I'm sure someone else can check if you won't take my word for it.

22 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

But you'll accept this from WBB telling you what you want to hear while threatening to fall out with Ricardo because he says stuff you don't want to hear, regardless of the fact that he's one of the most mild-mannered people on here.

You are wasting your time with them, they don't want to hear a contrary opinion and tend to get upset with anybody expressing one. Yes we all know there are penalties to pay for Brexit and that was well understood from the beginning, certainly by me. Our trading with the EU was always going to suffer because of it but you can't make an omlette without breaking eggs. My opinion at the time was that this would take time for bruised ego's to mend and I think we are now beginning to see a more sensible approach from both sides. What we won't ever see however is  the UK rejoining the European project; that bird has flown. Even Starmer realises that a manifesto promise to rejoin would be electoral Kryptonite but I guess there will always be a hard core pushing for it. I don't expect to see another referendum on the subject in my lifetime, nor in the lifetimes of anyone else on this forum.

If EU was merely a trading bloc we would never have had any reason to leave. Sadly the ever closer unionists wanted to push it further than I, and it seems millions of others wanted it to go.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ricardo said:

If EU was merely a trading bloc we would never have had any reason to leave. Sadly the ever closer unionists wanted to push it further than I, and it seems millions of others wanted it to go.

48% of the country Ricardo. 

And sold on lies. That's the thing...not you as a voter for it.

The two truths brexiters won't recognise.

We know that we aren't rejoining the EU anytime soon. We have said so on numerous occasions.

A hell of a lot of our current problems are brexit based and a government and its supporters denying reality is not going to fix anything, anytime soon.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sonyc said:

48% of the country Ricardo. 

And sold on lies. That's the thing...not you as a voter for it.

I can't read the minds of other people, I have enough with making my own mind up.

1 minute ago, Herman said:

We know that we aren't rejoining the EU anytime soon. We have said so on numerous occasions.

A hell of a lot of our current problems are brexit based and a government and its supporters denying reality is not going to fix anything, anytime soon.

We will do what we always do, decide things at the ballot box after hearing what the parties have to say. Much of it will be hopeful waffle that eventually gets thrown off course by the adverse winds of financial reality. I believe most politicians have good intentions but as the old saying goes, the road to hell is paved with those.

Governments are like football managers, they all run out of road in the end but sometimes you get a new manager bounce. Somehow I don't see Starmer as Daniel Farke.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Herman said:

Except they're not denying it. NI has been tackled. King Charles is in Germany talking to the German people in German as progress on rebuilding the EU relationship confronted. Most are invested in rebuilding the relationship with the EU, those who aren't talking about f*king off Japan, Canada, Australia, and co by ditching CPTPP after they put their trust in us that is.

4 hours ago, ricardo said:

You are wasting your time with them, they don't want to hear a contrary opinion and tend to get upset with anybody expressing one. Yes we all know there are penalties to pay for Brexit and that was well understood from the beginning, certainly by me. Our trading with the EU was always going to suffer because of it but you can't make an omlette without breaking eggs. My opinion at the time was that this would take time for bruised ego's to mend and I think we are now beginning to see a more sensible approach from both sides. What we won't ever see however is  the UK rejoining the European project; that bird has flown. Even Starmer realises that a manifesto promise to rejoin would be electoral Kryptonite but I guess there will always be a hard core pushing for it. I don't expect to see another referendum on the subject in my lifetime, nor in the lifetimes of anyone else on this forum.

It's frustrating, because there's some interesting stuff they have to say sometimes, but this tendency to talk about Brexit supporters in general terms when they've clearly gone out of their way to avoid talking to Brexit supporters is crazy.

I didn't vote for it myself, but most of my family voted for it and it wasn't because they were 'gammon racist bigots' but for similar reasons to yourself over not buying into the whole project of the EU. For my part, I did point out to them that NI was going to be a nightmare and I didn't see a way forward on trade; CPTPP is a game changer on that score.

I think that's why I get angry about otherwise intelligent people constantly ranting about 'Brexiters' in such general terms, reinforced by the latest smart Alec tweet from someone I've never heard of.

I think CPTPP will suit the UK better than the EU; somehow I don't see the Japanese being up for ever closer political union either.

This idea of a Federal Europe is just smoke and mirrors. Nearly 7 years since the referendum and I see no evidence of it. 

And as for the notion we are demanding another vote is just another daft attempt to hide the disaster Leave has become.

And do me a favour about CPTPP. There is absolutely no evidence to support posters "thoughts". The term Smart Alec can be applied to your posts LYB. You have taunted some posters into losing their temper with you. Even during Covid there were expert opinions that were poles apart.

The whole thread was started by Jools in his attempt to justify Brexit. Many still see no justification for it based on so many of the unsubstantiated and downright lies of the Leave groups.

That isn't sour grapes or contrary opinions. That is just facts. Its easy for Ricardo to say it will take time. He has nothing to back that up other than a hunch. The bruised egos have healed on the incontrovertible evidence that Brexit has not improved the life of the overwhelming majority of UK citizens. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

This idea of a Federal Europe is just smoke and mirrors. Nearly 7 years since the referendum and I see no evidence of it. 

And as for the notion we are demanding another vote is just another daft attempt to hide the disaster Leave has become.

And do me a favour about CPTPP. There is absolutely no evidence to support posters "thoughts". The term Smart Alec can be applied to your posts LYB. You have taunted some posters into losing their temper with you. Even during Covid there were expert opinions that were poles apart.

The whole thread was started by Jools in his attempt to justify Brexit. Many still see no justification for it based on so many of the unsubstantiated and downright lies of the Leave groups.

That isn't sour grapes or contrary opinions. That is just facts. Its easy for Ricardo to say it will take time. He has nothing to back that up other than a hunch. The bruised egos have healed on the incontrovertible evidence that Brexit has not improved the life of the overwhelming majority of UK citizens. 

I just give as good as I get. People who are nice to me, I'm nice to them.

There's plenty to back up the fact that the EU was becoming less important to us economically and that many people weren't on board with ever closer union politically. That's their right.

7 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I just give as good as I get. People who are nice to me, I'm nice to them.

There's plenty to back up the fact that the EU was becoming less important to us economically and that many people weren't on board with ever closer union politically. That's their right.

But you referred to Smart Alec tweets. Meaning experts you didn't agree with. We all choose and select and maybe even edit what suits.

10 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

But you referred to Smart Alec tweets. Meaning experts you didn't agree with. We all choose and select and maybe even edit what suits.

But I don't post random tweets from nobodies to support sentiments I want to push. I'll make my own points and provide some supporting stories if I think it's worthwhile and I have the time.

Big red bus tweet earlier a case in point. They're not experts; they're campaigners.

42 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

But I don't post random tweets from nobodies to support sentiments I want to push. I'll make my own points and provide some supporting stories if I think it's worthwhile and I have the time.

Big red bus tweet earlier a case in point. They're not experts; they're campaigners.

Who are you to judge who are nobodies though?

13 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Who are you to judge who are nobodies though?

Who are you to ask me who I am to make a judgement on whether somebody is of any account or not?

42 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Who are you to ask me who I am to make a judgement on whether somebody is of any account or not?

While you stand ever reaady to demean everyone elses post whose research you don't know. If you can't see it, then many other posters can.

25 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

While you stand ever reaady to demean everyone elses post whose research you don't know. If you can't see it, then many other posters can.

Can you give some examples of posts I've demeaned, especially ones where posts by myself haven't had similar treatment by others?

13 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Can you give some examples of posts I've demeaned, especially ones where posts by myself haven't had similar treatment by others?

Just leave it. The hole you have dug is enormous and getting bigger every time you say things like who is a sensible poster and who isn't or be rude to someone. You don't have to call someone names to be rude. Attitude towards is equally as guilty.

46 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Just leave it. The hole you have dug is enormous and getting bigger every time you say things like who is a sensible poster and who isn't or be rude to someone. You don't have to call someone names to be rude. Attitude towards is equally as guilty.

The hole I've dug in a little corner of a forum populated by some arch remainers who share stuff among themselves to keep convincing each other they're right and no other point of view is worth considering years after we've left the EU and just joined another trade bloc...

21 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

The hole I've dug in a little corner of a forum populated by some arch remainers who share stuff among themselves to keep convincing each other they're right and no other point of view is worth considering years after we've left the EU and just joined another trade bloc...

Lol couldn’t resist nipping back and knew you wouldn’t be able to resist replying as you love me so much.

I do find it interesting though that you say everyone on here talks bull and we should only accept yours and Ricardo’s posts as facts. Now as much as I like Ricardo I do take his posts with a pinch of salt as often they are ( and I have told him ) a bit misleading. There was the one where he said millions would die in the U.K. from Covid. There was the day where he told us the stock market had recovered, what he forgot to say was that they had come back 73 points after crashing 700 points. There was the day when he told us we were now net energy suppliers to the EU. What he forgot to tell us was that, that had also happened in the previous 10 years 3rd quarter as in that period the EU fill all their storage space and buy it from us cheap as in comparison we have very little storage space.

So I guess if your post is correct then both sides talk bull. 
And by the way without searching to far there are many posts ( especially in the Dean Smith threads ) where you insult people, but let’s not worry about the facts.

Goodnight.

And yes

28 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Lol couldn’t resist nipping back and knew you wouldn’t be able to resist replying as you love me so much.

I do find it interesting though that you say everyone on here talks bull and we should only accept yours and Ricardo’s posts as facts. Now as much as I like Ricardo I do take his posts with a pinch of salt as often they are ( and I have told him ) a bit misleading. There was the one where he said millions would die in the U.K. from Covid. There was the day where he told us the stock market had recovered, what he forgot to say was that they had come back 73 points after crashing 700 points. There was the day when he told us we were now net energy suppliers to the EU. What he forgot to tell us was that, that had also happened in the previous 10 years 3rd quarter as in that period the EU fill all their storage space and buy it from us cheap as in comparison we have very little storage space.

So I guess if your post is correct then both sides talk bull. 
And by the way without searching to far there are many posts ( especially in the Dean Smith threads ) where you insult people, but let’s not worry about the facts.

Goodnight.

What you're indulging in the is known as attacking a straw man; nowhere have I said that.

Ricardo seems to put the truth as he sees it, as do I. Sonyc does, maybe some others.

What do you know about facts though? You literally voted on the say so of your MP with no further questions.

You're right to some extent. All sides of a political argument will have some falsehood in there, no less so with the erstwhile remain crowd. That's why it's advisable to listen to all sides of a discussion, check the arguments, and make your own mind up.

And yes, I'm definitely not above insulting people if they **** me off enough. I usually regret it afterwards though, given it's fairly futile.

25 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Yes but it will get better because of CPTPP.

I did a quick calculation - easy numbers.

60 on a coach, 30 seconds to look and stamp each passport.

That 30 minutes per coach and that's going some!

Now add biometric (photo and finger-prints) due to come in soon - well that's at least 2 mins per person (think USA - more like 5 minutes).

Very easy to see how Dover is not at all set up for this. Suggest we demolish most of Dover and make it one big customs/immigrations hall. I'm sure that Doverites voted for it after-all. Or, perhaps we could move the French/EU border to say Ashford where we have more space  - Dover becomes French and then no delays there! Anybody got any more sensible ideas - what used to work...oh yes...what was it called.....

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

I did a quick calculation - easy numbers.

60 on a coach, 30 seconds to look and stamp each passport.

That 30 minutes per coach and that's going some!

Now add biometric (photo and finger-prints) due to come in soon - well that's at least 2 mins per person (think USA - more like 5 minutes).

Very easy to see how Dover is not at all set up for this. Suggest we demolish most of Dover and make it one big customs/immigrations hall. I'm sure that Doverites voted for it after-all. Or, perhaps we could move the French/EU border to say Ashford where we have more space  - Dover becomes French and then no delays there! Anybody got any more sensible ideas - what used to work...oh yes...what was it called.....

Alternatively, people can stop going on holiday to the continent by coach and see how quickly the French tourism industry lobbies to facilitate things.