Sign in to follow this  
East Rider

Rapid change in squads

Just briefly looking at our squad of 36 players from 1016-17 (a mere 20 months ago), and we have only 3 from there who are in or around our first team!

That is over 30 who have either left, out on loan or not near the first team now in well under 2 years.

It would be good to have a period of settlement with a nucleus of 10 -15 good players over the next few seasons. Firstly to develop together as is happening but more importantly, for the fans, to have individuals that can be linked longer term to our club.

Another player or two with 2- 300 plus appearances in our team would gel it nicely together.

DF may be the manager to bring stability for us?

Webber has been efficient at unloading,one way or another. Even Jarvis and Oliveira have  now been found alternative homes. He doesn't mess around.

The only two I  had slight reservations about  (apart from the obvious big money sales that were needed) have been Ruddy and Jerome and wages probably influenced those decisions.

Then again we have a better 'keeper (for free) than the latter day Ruddy and who wouldn'tb want Pukki (free again)instead of Jerome?

Nearly as impressive as the gems he's found on the cheap,emphasised by our lack of activity this window.).

I doubt there will be much stability to be honest. 

If Norwich are promoted then new, Premier League players will he needed. If Norwich aren’t promoted then Aarons, Lewis and Buendia will all be heavily targeted by other teams. 

A strength in the structure Norwich have set up should be even it players change, the style shouldn’t. This means appropriate players can be targeted and they shouldn’t take too long to settle in. 

Even if Farke goes the next head coach will be one with similar philosophy who won’t cast aside a bunch of players to bring in his own people. A large contributed to player turn over. 

But players coming and going isn’t necessarily a bad thing. You want players not good enough to be sold and to have players who are too good for your team and will be signed by other, bigger teams. I’d rather have a couple of seasons of Jamal Lewis than a sustained period of Jonas Knudsen. 

If we were promoted I highly doubt there would be mass changes, Bethnal. Plenty of room for this set of players to develop.

You're right about players leaving if we aren't though I would imagine. Although with financial pressure easing season on season you'd like to think we'd have a stronger hand when it comes to negotiations.

Exciting times.

Promotion then relegation = parachutes and financial pressure eased for a couple or so seasons.

It is not a "Fate worse than death."

I wouldn't want anymore RVW, Fer, Naismith highly costly flops ever again.

Minimum strengthening.We might surprise, others have.

1 minute ago, BroadstairsR said:

Promotion then relegation = parachutes and financial pressure eased for a couple or so seasons.

It is not a "Fate worse than death."

I wouldn't want anymore RVW, Fer, Naismith highly costly flops ever again.

Minimum strengthening.We might surprise, others have.

Norwich made a profit on Fer...

If Norwich get promoted I’d expect 5 to 6 new players to come in - most of those to go straight into the first team. The club would be happy to gamble on big fees if they felt that could make their money back on the players. 

19 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Fer? Pretty sure we made money on him.

Yes I realised that, but it wasn't massive and I was really thinking of signing on costs and high wages for the time he was here.

Always a big factor now, though probably not the best example to make my point.

I did expect much more from him though.

6 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

If Norwich get promoted I’d expect 5 to 6 new players to come in - most of those to go straight into the first team. The club would be happy to gamble on big fees if they felt that could make their money back on the players. 

Hopefully they won't, that is precisely the mistake that Worthington made - brought in a lot of more expensive players who supposedly had the pedigree to play in the Premier League and it turned out that they weren't as good as the guys who got us promoted. A stupid mistake I hope the club won't repeat.

37 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Hopefully they won't, that is precisely the mistake that Worthington made - brought in a lot of more expensive players who supposedly had the pedigree to play in the Premier League and it turned out that they weren't as good as the guys who got us promoted. A stupid mistake I hope the club won't repeat.

The mistake Worthington made was to sign players not good enough for the Prem, not in replacing existing players who also wouldn’t have been good enough. 

I’d also say things have moved along a lot since 2005. The money in the Prem has meant that mid to lower table clubs all have outstanding, game changing players. Norwich would be foolish to not use the vast amounts of money to bring in some quality additions. While the club currently have a good squad, they can surely improve in several areas if you give Webber £30m/£40m to spend on players you are going to get some high quality additions.

Looking at the squad you’d have to think Norwich would need a new keeper, winger, defensive midfielder, striker and left back straight away. 

8 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I doubt there will be much stability to be honest. 

If Norwich are promoted then new, Premier League players will he needed. If Norwich aren’t promoted then Aarons, Lewis and Buendia will all be heavily targeted by other teams. 

A strength in the structure Norwich have set up should be even it players change, the style shouldn’t. This means appropriate players can be targeted and they shouldn’t take too long to settle in. 

Even if Farke goes the next head coach will be one with similar philosophy who won’t cast aside a bunch of players to bring in his own people. A large contributed to player turn over. 

But players coming and going isn’t necessarily a bad thing. You want players not good enough to be sold and to have players who are too good for your team and will be signed by other, bigger teams. I’d rather have a couple of seasons of Jamal Lewis than a sustained period of Jonas Knudsen. 

Disagree with that (bold).I think we'll go with what we've got. Would only expect one or two (cheap) unknown dark horses to come in.

40 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

The mistake Worthington made was to sign players not good enough for the Prem, not in replacing existing players who also wouldn’t have been good enough. 

I’d also say things have moved along a lot since 2005. The money in the Prem has meant that mid to lower table clubs all have outstanding, game changing players. Norwich would be foolish to not use the vast amounts of money to bring in some quality additions. While the club currently have a good squad, they can surely improve in several areas if you give Webber £30m/£40m to spend on players you are going to get some high quality additions.

Yes, he tried to do exactly what you're suggesting - he signed far too many players (9 from memory), therefore spread a decent amount of money much too thinly, didn't get an appreciable increase in  quality and ripped the guts out of a very successful team instead of trying to get a signifcant upgrade in a few key areas.

If we do get promoted and have £30/40m to spend that buys us 2 or at best 3 'outstanding game changing' players - spread it across 6 positions and it just provides cover for what we already have.

The money we spent on Helveg, Jonsson,  Doherty and Charlton should have been spent on getting Ashton in August rather than spend the money anyway in January when we were already looking down... even then he nearly saved us. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, splendidrush said:

The money we spent on Helveg, Jonsson,  Doherty and Charlton should have been spent on getting Ashton in August rather than spend the money anyway in January when we were already looking down... even then he nearly saved us. 

Yes the writing was on the wall after 10 games or so ( if not before), when we were starting with the Doc up front in the absence of a recognised striker.

14 hours ago, ron obvious said:

Disagree with that (bold).I think we'll go with what we've got. Would only expect one or two (cheap) unknown dark horses to come in.

Has a promoted team ever just brought in one or two players? I wouldn't have thought so!

3 minutes ago, Fr. Chewy Louie said:

Has a promoted team ever just brought in one or two players? I wouldn't have thought so!

Norwich City - iconoclasts extraordinaire!