kick it off

NFL Thread

Last night I was going to comment - 

Pick No. 262 Purdy 4 touchdowns, 0 interceptions.

Pick No 1 Lawrence 0 touchdowns, 4 interceptions. 

But San Diego forgot there was a 2nd half to play. 

Well Dolphins gave it a go, but overall a disappointing season and hoping our QB isn't becoming injury prone.

12 hours ago, Surfer said:

Last night I was going to comment - 

Pick No. 262 Purdy 4 touchdowns, 0 interceptions.

Pick No 1 Lawrence 0 touchdowns, 4 interceptions. 

But San Diego forgot there was a 2nd half to play. 

Purdy is interesting.

I thought he looks dreadful in the first part of the game on Saturday. Constantly bailing from the pocked, never getting set, airmailing balls etc. He was quite lucky he wasn't picked off 2 or 3 times early on.

He's clearly playing very well but he's played some very poor defences- Cardinals ranked 31st, Vegas 26th, Hawks (twice) 25th etc etc. The Cowboys or Eagles will be his first really big challenge. 

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Purdy is interesting.

I thought he looks dreadful in the first part of the game on Saturday. Constantly bailing from the pocked, never getting set, airmailing balls etc. He was quite lucky he wasn't picked off 2 or 3 times early on.

He's clearly playing very well but he's played some very poor defences- Cardinals ranked 31st, Vegas 26th, Hawks (twice) 25th etc etc. The Cowboys or Eagles will be his first really big challenge. 

The Niners have apparently faced the worst rated teams this season. Another NFL stat only of course. McCaffrey was an inspired trade, Many of the players like Bosa who were injured so much last season are now keeping fit. And they have been a second half team this season.

Of course Purdy will find it tougher but if the defence can keep putting him back on the field then he will gain from game time. He is mobile and confident. Trey was brought in to provide what Jimmy couldn't but Purdy has brought good eyes as well.

15 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

The Niners have apparently faced the worst rated teams this season. Another NFL stat only of course. McCaffrey was an inspired trade, Many of the players like Bosa who were injured so much last season are now keeping fit. And they have been a second half team this season.

Of course Purdy will find it tougher but if the defence can keep putting him back on the field then he will gain from game time. He is mobile and confident. Trey was brought in to provide what Jimmy couldn't but Purdy has brought good eyes as well.

I think he's in the best situation he could be in- great defence, loads of good skill position players (Aiyuk has really stepped up this season) and a coach who is fantastic at putting a scheme together. 

However if he plays like he did on Saturday night against a good defence I think it'll be a bit of a bloodbath. 

Fly Eagles Fly!

What a win for the Eagles last night, let me comfortably go to bed at 3am rather than having to push through to the end.

Long way to go yet, but so far Dallas are owning the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. Time for another beer. 

Edited by Surfer

Not a game for anyone with a weak heart but the Niners eventually found a way to get it done; wore out Dallas's big boys, out and Dak just stank the place up when called on. Dallas media are going ballistic apparently 😂

Dak.jpg

Edited by Surfer

On 31/10/2022 at 10:07, king canary said:

Wouldn't be shocked if the NFC title game is 49ers vs Eagles as the rest of the conference seems weak. It is mad the Falcons and Seahawks are top of their divisions.

Going to give myself a pat on the back for this back in October 😉

Eagles v 9ers should be a hell of a game. Two teams who can beat you in multiple ways, air, ground or defence. My biggest hope is that our pass rush and secondary can scramble Purdy's brain, my biggest fear is Kittle and CMC run over our linebackers and destroy us in the middle of the field. 

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Going to give myself a pat on the back for this back in October 😉

Eagles v 9ers should be a hell of a game. Two teams who can beat you in multiple ways, air, ground or defence. My biggest hope is that our pass rush and secondary can scramble Purdy's brain, my biggest fear is Kittle and CMC run over our linebackers and destroy us in the middle of the field. 

The best two teams in the NFL going toe to toe. And the two best in the AFC as well so the playoffs have been spot on despite them hosting so many losers.

As you point out, Kittle is the best TE around at the moment and CMac is such a force for a medium size RB. Its going to be down to the coaches maybe.

• Like 1

Just now, keelansgrandad said:

The best two teams in the NFL going toe to toe. And the two best in the AFC as well so the playoffs have been spot on despite them hosting so many losers.

As you point out, Kittle is the best TE around at the moment and CMac is such a force for a medium size RB. Its going to be down to the coaches maybe.

I think the big battle will be the Eagles pass rush v the 9ers O-line. We can attack from so many different angles and we saw a great example v the Giants- Gannon unexpectedly blitzed our slot corner at Jones, forced him to throw quickly and he was picked off. If we can scheme that up and really make life tough for Purdy we can win. However if we let him do what he's done so far then we'll struggle.

Going to be really interesting. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, king canary said:

Even as an Eagles fan I'm pretty gutted the Purdy and Johnson injuries ruined this game as a competitive spectacle.

Yeah, but it was funny seeing them take lessons from Leeds in both being dirty and falling apart...

4 hours ago, king canary said:

Even as an Eagles fan I'm pretty gutted the Purdy and Johnson injuries ruined this game as a competitive spectacle.

Congratulations to the Eagles. The better team won, please go win the Super Bowl now? This stings, but this unbeaten run was like lightning in a bottle and it finally escaped. 

Last time i felt this disappointed in a what could have / should have been result was Texas losing Colt McCoy to injury at the start of their national title.game v Alabama. 

Edited by Surfer

Meanwhile over in the AFC, that's a finish everyone hoped to see. 20-20 and 48 sec to go as I write this. 

10 hours ago, king canary said:

As much as that, the second quarter we had you pinned in your thirty and four penalties later, two face masking, had you in our end zone. Fair play, you took advantage. Don't give a sucker an even break. Now go and win it.

10 hours ago, cornish sam said:

Yeah, but it was funny seeing them take lessons from Leeds in both being dirty and falling apart...

Yes my sympathy certainly went down after that dirty hit on Hurts out of bounds and Williams being a giant baby.

4 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

As much as that, the second quarter we had you pinned in your thirty and four penalties later, two face masking, had you in our end zone. Fair play, you took advantage. Don't give a sucker an even break. Now go and win it.

Yes we definitely benefitted from the ill discipline the 9ers showed. The roughing the punter call felt a bit sketchy (I thought your guy got a bit of a push) but none of the other penalties had much doubt in my (admittedly biased) view.  

2 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Yeah, the D was immense until the discipline slipped, we could get nothing going against it in the first half...

4 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

Yeah, the D was immense until the discipline slipped, we could get nothing going against it in the first half...

I think it was one of Hurts weakest games but the thing that impressed me the most for 49ers was the speed those linebackers played with. They made it impossible for Hurts to use his mobility to any great effect. Warner is elite. 

8 minutes ago, king canary said:

I think it was one of Hurts weakest games but the thing that impressed me the most for 49ers was the speed those linebackers played with. They made it impossible for Hurts to use his mobility to any great effect. Warner is elite. 

Yeah, certainly.in the first half he didn't look like he was very mobile, but that might have been more a case of the linebackers stifling him and the d-line being on top

2 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

Yeah, certainly.in the first half he didn't look like he was very mobile, but that might have been more a case of the linebackers stifling him and the d-line being on top

I was worried about this game as I thought the 49ers were our worst match up. An athletic defence with talent at all levels and a great defensive coordinator who can scheme up amazing game plans. We won the battle on the o-line over time though and that made the big difference.

I actuallly think our matchup vs the Chiefs is favourable. They don't run the ball well so we can concentrate on rushing Mahomes and their secondary is a weakness we can take advantage of. If Mahomes is still a bit limited mobility wise too then our pass rush can feast.

Saying that I'd have preferred to play Cincy as I think that o-line would get decimated by Reddick and co. 

There seems to be a match thread, but I'm loyal for at least one post to this thread. Not that its an important one. Here's a useless stat for tonights game.

The National Chicken Council predicts a record 1.45bn chicken wings will be eaten during the Super Bowl

Edited by KiwiScot

I'm going to rewatch it soon to see how the calls made throughout the game interupted the games momentum as I thought at the time.

I'm significantly more zen about it that I was at 4am on Monday.

The Chiefs were the better team overall. They neutralised our pass rush, focused on quick passing and the run game and picked us apart. Our defensive coordinator has a history of being too passive vs elite QB's and it got exposed again. Even though we put up some historic numbers this year there aren't many fans shedding tears that he's gone to Arizona to be the HC.

Hurts stepped up and delivered in a huge way and there should be no doubts about him as our franchise guy. We've got a number of free agents on the defensive side and it'll be interesting to see who we keep but I'm still optimistic about our chances of getting back to the big game.

2 hours ago, king canary said:

I'm significantly more zen about it that I was at 4am on Monday.

The Chiefs were the better team overall. They neutralised our pass rush, focused on quick passing and the run game and picked us apart. Our defensive coordinator has a history of being too passive vs elite QB's and it got exposed again. Even though we put up some historic numbers this year there aren't many fans shedding tears that he's gone to Arizona to be the HC.

Hurts stepped up and delivered in a huge way and there should be no doubts about him as our franchise guy. We've got a number of free agents on the defensive side and it'll be interesting to see who we keep but I'm still optimistic about our chances of getting back to the big game.

It was noticeable just how conservative the Eagles defence was given their number 1 status in a number of categories! Hardly any blitz pressure. I’m still very disappointed in the holding call given how every play there was holding gong on, it wasn’t like it was the first time, so why did the officials let it go all game till that play?

My money is on the Jags next year, very much an young up and coming team with the best QB in my view.

Fins next year with Tua fit have the most exciting offence.

Edited by Indy