kick it off

NFL Thread

Bosa and Warner injured for the Niners which isn't good against the Pack.

And error strewn, penalty ridden game that was only highlighted by Deebo and Robbie Gold the kicking machine. And the panic stations of the very last play with the official running to get to the snap and the players handing the ball to the Centre just about summed it up.

But nail biting to the last.

Fook'n heck, both #1 seeds knocked out by game ending field goals. 

And well done to the Niner's special team's coach - pay raise coming for you and your team sir! 

Haven't seen the highlights as I've been golfing all morning and clubhouse all afternoon.

But so delighted for the Niners and it would be great to get an NFC West Championship game. To go to Lambeau Field in the winter and get a result is not easy.

One more SB win to equal the Pats and Steelers.

Robbie Gould is a legend.

Edited by keelansgrandad

Unbelievable, three games, all going to last second field goals to win, all the lower ranked teams and all winning away from home!

Brilliant weekend of Football!

Just now, Indy said:

Unbelievable, three games, all going to last second field goals to win, all the lower ranked teams and all winning away from home!

Brilliant weekend of Football!

If the lowest seeds keep winning its a repeat of Bengals v 49ers

• Like 1

And if it is those two, the Niners are the underdogs this time around. Just like the first SB we met in. Of course we did have Joe Montana at QB. I really doubt that he'd have thrown an interception with a receiver this open.

How open.jpg

Edited by Surfer

10 hours ago, KiwiScot said:

If the lowest seeds keep winning its a repeat of Bengals v 49ers

And that game was one of the greats with the goal line stop.

After a hugely underwhelming couple of games on Saturday, Sunday was an absolute feast for totally different reasons.

Rams v Bucs was a mess of turnovers, penalties and dreadful decision making that led to an almost epic comeback and a fantastic final drive from Stafford. Delighted for him to finally get to show his quality in a big spot.

Bills v Chiefs was two incredible young QB's at the peak of their powers exchanging body blows. What a final two minutes that was.

1 minute ago, king canary said:

After a hugely underwhelming couple of games on Saturday, Sunday was an absolute feast for totally different reasons.

Rams v Bucs was a mess of turnovers, penalties and dreadful decision making that led to an almost epic comeback and a fantastic final drive from Stafford. Delighted for him to finally get to show his quality in a big spot.

Bills v Chiefs was two incredible young QB's at the peak of their powers exchanging body blows. What a final two minutes that was.

I only watched the highlights but surely underwhelming is wrong. If I had watched it live my nails would have been a mere memory. No-one could have scripted those games. It doesn't have to be 42-36 to be exciting. Nothing better than a Fred Warner strip or Deebo 1st down when it is crucial. Rogers never gets sacked 5 times in a match. Jimmy does every game. But his defence make up for it and blocked field goals and punts are all performed by players who are part of the roster.

The Niners have only had two offensive touchdowns post season and have won that game without one. But it doesn't make it any less special. And the Pack hasn't lost a game when only conceding 13 points or less for a long, long time.

All gripping and absorbing stuff.

Just now, keelansgrandad said:

I only watched the highlights but surely underwhelming is wrong. If I had watched it live my nails would have been a mere memory. No-one could have scripted those games. It doesn't have to be 42-36 to be exciting. Nothing better than a Fred Warner strip or Deebo 1st down when it is crucial. Rogers never gets sacked 5 times in a match. Jimmy does every game. But his defence make up for it and blocked field goals and punts are all performed by players who are part of the roster.

The Niners have only had two offensive touchdowns post season and have won that game without one. But it doesn't make it any less special. And the Pack hasn't lost a game when only conceding 13 points or less for a long, long time.

All gripping and absorbing stuff.

You have to add the caveat that you're a 49ers fan though- I didn't watch it live, I thought it was an OK game in the highlights but it didn't light up the imagination as a neutral in the way the two games on Sunday did. 

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

You have to add the caveat that you're a 49ers fan though- I didn't watch it live, I thought it was an OK game in the highlights but it didn't light up the imagination as a neutral in the way the two games on Sunday did. 

Fair point.

14 hours ago, king canary said:

Give me Saturday’s games all day long. It isn’t playoff football if it isn’t a defensive slugfest. Of all the teams that won, the Rams were the most unimpressive to me. A total meltdown.

Bills v Chiefs would have been a pretty good Monday Night Football game, (or Texas Tech v LSU college football game) but it was also shocking defense on both sides. 

Edited by Surfer
  • Like 1

The GOAT has hung up his boots.

Legend

EDIT - Apparently the decision not been made, one of his companies has jumped the gun posting his retirement which might happen, might not.

Edited by KiwiScot

Well the Bengals did just that, made him look very ordinary in the 2H and Icarus like in OT. 

That’s one hell of a bounce back for Cincy, I bet Cleveland are super jealous they got Burrow. 

Oh well, was not unexpected. We owned the stadium, but ultimately the Rams got what they wanted - Jimmy G throwing the ball, and throwing the interception to end our season.

Hopefully that’s his last game as a 49er, time to move on to our new dual threat QB who also doesn’t throw an IT every game. 

Niners Fans.jpg

Edited by Surfer

9 hours ago, Surfer said:

Oh well, was not unexpected. We owned the stadium, but ultimately the Rams got what they wanted - Jimmy G throwing the ball, and throwing the interception to end our season.

Hopefully that’s his last game as a 49er, time to move on to our new dual threat QB who also doesn’t throw an IT every game. 

Niners Fans.jpg

Haven't seen the highlights but only read a report.

Yes, Jimmy isn't an SB winner. Let us hope Trey gets the nod for next season. Or ask Tom or Ben not to retire😂

Still a better season than many other teams and shows the strength of NFC West. Heep the Defence fit and a new QB and with the ground game so good, it ought to be another good season.

15 hours ago, king canary said:

Mahomes is just a joke- I have no idea how any team is supposed to stop him when he plays like this.

Great in every respect apart from knowing when to throw it away. It looks superb when the scrambles come off but big losses when it falls apart will kill you.

Burrow kept his head and brought it home.

Edited by ricardo

Tom Bradys confirmed his retirement, Brian Flores sacked by the Dolphins is suing them, The Giants, The Broncos and the NFL on racial grounds while the Washingston Football Team are now....

The Washington Commanders!

48 minutes ago, KiwiScot said:

Tom Bradys confirmed his retirement, Brian Flores sacked by the Dolphins is suing them, The Giants, The Broncos and the NFL on racial grounds while the Washingston Football Team are now....

The Washington Commanders!

Is Flores really going to get that one to fly?

7 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Is Flores really going to get that one to fly?

I really don't know. I'd have to reckon from him being a head coach his realistic aim would be to ensure a fair and level playing field in backroom positions, but ideology is not having all the power positions held by white people. He's taking potential personal discrimation based on his race and trying connect with the overall mood to right the wrongs etc.

Ultimate aim maybe to upset the sponsors.

1 hour ago, KiwiScot said:

I really don't know. I'd have to reckon from him being a head coach his realistic aim would be to ensure a fair and level playing field in backroom positions, but ideology is not having all the power positions held by white people. He's taking potential personal discrimation based on his race and trying connect with the overall mood to right the wrongs etc.

Ultimate aim maybe to upset the sponsors.

Sport has to be a meritocracy and its always going to convince some people they either didn't get a position or in fact lost it for just that simple reason.

According to

NFL Honors is this weekend. Washington Wire presents all the Washington Football Team award winners from the 2021 season.

Good news for Players and staff member

On 02/02/2022 at 21:06, keelansgrandad said:

Sport has to be a meritocracy and its always going to convince some people they either didn't get a position or in fact lost it for just that simple reason.

The problem is it doesn't seem to be a meritocracy at the moment. The NFL, as a league, is rife with nepotism. Mike Zimmer's son is DC of the Vikings, Pete Carroll's son coaches the wide receivers in Seattle, Steven Bellichek coaches the linebackers on the Patriots etc etc. All white guys on the coat tails of their successful dads while black coaches struggle to get a chance.

The Flores situation is interesting because I totally get why he's pissed off. He was fired from Miami despite having a strong record and reportedly extremely good relationships with players. Then, not content with firing him, Miami start to leak info that he's not easy to work with and not a team player, seemingly for refusing to tank and for refusing to take part in his owners attempts to illegally tamper with a quarterback. Add in the fact he'll have seen and while likely continue to see, less competent white HC's walk into jobs (Adam Gase being an obvious example) and I don't blame him for going scorched earth. 

5 hours ago, king canary said:

The problem is it doesn't seem to be a meritocracy at the moment. The NFL, as a league, is rife with nepotism. Mike Zimmer's son is DC of the Vikings, Pete Carroll's son coaches the wide receivers in Seattle, Steven Bellichek coaches the linebackers on the Patriots etc etc. All white guys on the coat tails of their successful dads while black coaches struggle to get a chance.

The Flores situation is interesting because I totally get why he's pissed off. He was fired from Miami despite having a strong record and reportedly extremely good relationships with players. Then, not content with firing him, Miami start to leak info that he's not easy to work with and not a team player, seemingly for refusing to tank and for refusing to take part in his owners attempts to illegally tamper with a quarterback. Add in the fact he'll have seen and while likely continue to see, less competent white HC's walk into jobs (Adam Gase being an obvious example) and I don't blame him for going scorched earth. 

I am not convinced that any team would severely hamper their chances by getting rid of a good coach because of his skin colour. No NFL team would have a defence if it didn't employ black players.

Its a problem that has arisen again. Nobody has got racism and the fight against it right. And the sacking of a black player or coach is bound to get criticism justified or not. And already the Dolphins have tried to defuse the situation by hiring McDaniel who has a black father and white mother.

And the Texans are reported to be close to hiring Lovie Smith as head coach although that is just a promotion.

Edited by keelansgrandad

Pleased for Matthew Stafford after all those wasted years in Detroit. But that about it.