Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Leeds

There was an autumnal nip in the air first thing but it was pleasant enough when I set off for CR this afternoon. Just as I arrived at the Swimming Pool, the heavens opened but fortunately the heavy stuff was short-lived.It was good to see Thompson get a full run out and when City kicked off towards the River End things looked very promising judging by the early minutes. Pinto was getting plenty of joy down the right and Leeds had to concede some early corners as the pressure mounted. Leitner was linking up well and had a shot from a narrow angle that was blocked then Rhodes only just failed to get on the end of a cross that beat everybody.Leeds flickered into life for a while with some neat inter-passing but it wasn''t sustained as City continued to dominate the opening quarter. A jink and a cross from Hernandez was just to long but possession was retained and Leitner''s through ball looked like providing a clear chance for Pukki only for a tremendous last ditch block on his goal bound shot.In the 20th minute Leeds suddenly came away with the ball down the right only to switch a long ball to the left of the area where the Leeds forward was too quick for Pinto. Krul did well to parry the strong, on the run header away but the ball fell kindly for Klich, to bobble the ball into an unguarded net. It was certainly against the run of the early play but it''s something we''ve gotten used to in recent years. City tried to hit straight back but the visitors defended robustly and as passes started to go astray it was Leeds who began to take up the baton and look the more likely.On 26 minutes the marking went to pot again when there was nobody in the right back position and Alioski had time and space to rifle past Krul at the near post. Oh dear! and it all looked so promising ten minutes earlier. Leeds now started to play the ball about with increasing confidence as the home side was put on the back foot. Things eventually livened up as City tried to get a foothold in the game and when a cross was slung over from the right it seemed to bounce off Rhodes and into the path of Pukki who was again denied by another brilliant block, sending the ball just up and over the angle of bar and post.With halftime fast approaching only the woodwork prevented City pulling a goal back. First a neat ball into the box was headed over his own bar by a defender and then from the resultant corner a header was smacked against the bar. I couldn''t see who it was because some bloke cho0se that instant to stand up in front of me. So it wasn''t a shock that we were all a bit stunned at the half. City had played well enough and two nil was more than a trifle harsh IMO.If we were expecting Farke to change it we were destined for disappointment because there were no changes other than that Leeds now assumed almost total superiority. They were quicker to the ball and the midfield played at a pace that City seemed unable to handle while their defence looked strong and robust. There was almost nothing of a goal threat for City, until past the hour mark when Leitner''s free kick only needed a touch but nobody could get on the end of it. The Leeds midfield domination continued and it was no surprise when after buzzing around the box for a while, Pablo Hernandez beat Krul all ends up with a curling shot from the left of the City box. I have to admit that it was no more than the visitors deservedWith ten minutes left they were streaming out in front of me and no wonder, for it was all done and dusted now and only a couple of decent stops from Krul prevented it from getting worse. Buendia, and Srbeny, came on but could do little to spark a lackluster City performance. A late free kick was headed back across the box by the tireless Hanley but it was in keeping with the game that City could not force a consolation in the ensuing scramble. As has become the norm after a defeat, there were more than a few boo''s at the final whistle. I have to say that I thought Leeds looked good once they settled and after the first goal the points were only going one way.M.O.M? No, I don''t think there was one.

Loved the last remark

M.O.M? No, I don''t think there was one.

I would have given it to the guy who managed to almost hit the bull in that waste of time game that NCFC play at half time . Seems like half the ground attendance gather on the pitch to see who gets nearest the Bull.

Think that would have made uncomfortable viewing for Farke, Webber et al Ricardo.

It because Norwich were poor, the first half hour wouldn’t have looked too much out of place as a Premier League game for the neutral, but rather because it looked dangerously like we did our best.

Selling quality and not having the finances to replace them commensurately, leaves you taking damaged goods with higher risks, less consistency and hoping for more luck.

It looked like two decently-shaped and orchestrated sides early on, with only Leeds looking like they had more in the way of penetrative weapons. We looked mostly tidy, though reliant on Hernandez, who is a threat though a little one-dimensional or Rhodes, who needs chances created for him to score. This isn’t enough, but it’s all we can expect.

They tried hard, tried to play the right way and were just beaten by a better side. We may say that more often this season. We’ll stay up fine, though that may be as good as it gets.

I see what Farke is doing and I like him, but the maths are likely too much for us this season.

Parma

Parma Ham''s gone mouldy wrote the following post at 25/08/2018 7:36 PM:

Think that would have made uncomfortable viewing for Farke, Webber et al Ricardo.

It because Norwich were poor, the first half hour wouldn’t have

looked too much out of place as a Premier League game for the neutral,

but rather because it looked dangerously like we did our best.

We wont start much better than that this season, high tempo, lots of movement, accurate and penetrating passes, very impressive.
However.........
It looked like we really raised our game, but it wasnt good enough.

Thompson was certainly combative, but did look a bit ''lost'' at times as Leeds moved the ball past him
Early days and does show promise.

Louis did well when you consider how long he has been out, and he is brought in to start against one of the best sides in the League, was well knackered before he went off, but certainly did enough to encourage the manager.

Thompson was the pick of the central 3 for me although was clearly tired by the last quarter, Trybull had one of his most anonymous games since joining, and Leitner whilst involved more still offered relatively little overall.
Rhodes got very poor supply with most crosses going well past him on either side, but at the same time he didn''t really look a threat at any point, and wasn''t involved much once our initial period of dominance was gone either.
I''m still trying to work out who the hell was meant to have been playing on the right, because Hernandez was clearly on the left, but there just wasn''t anyone in a similar role on the opposite side, and instead we seemed to be relying on Pinto to push up, reminded me of Roeder''s lopsided winger tactic.......

Were Leeds that good Ricardo? The media seem to be raving about them and their coach.

There would be no shame in losing to a really good side full of confidence with an astute and attacking coach.

The scoreline doesn''t sound good though but does reflect what has been a change to more attacking football by many sides.

I wonder if France''s attitude at the World Cup has changed a lot of coaches minds.

When they turned it on, they played pretty damn well at times and were passing the ball at pace and with intent, but aside from a 10-15 minute spell in the first half, we were easily the better side and they certainly didn''t look anything special at that point. Second half they controlled things far more though, restricted us a lot better and ironically looked a lot more dangerous than they had when they scored both goals in the first half.
Clearly they were able to weather our early pressure and possession, nicked a goal against the run of play, then added another 5 minutes later, which put them in a commanding position so early in the game. If we''d managed to sneak one back before half-time we''d maybe have had a chance of scraping at least a point, but as it was, it was game over from the minute the 2nd half kicked off...
And no, I don''t think they are that good per se, but they certainly showed in patches that they will be there or thereabouts this season for one of the play-off places (if not even automatic spots), if they can maintain their play.

KG

I expect Leeds will finish top two. They were far superior to WBA. They looked solid and sharp all round.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"] .......... Clearly they were able to weather our early pressure and possession, nicked a goal against the run of play, then added another 5 minutes later, which put them in a commanding position so early in the game. [/quote] "Nicked a goal against the run of play"? Efficient counter-atacking sides do not "nick goals against the run of play". Their "run of play" is precisely to let the opposition "play on the front foot" and over-commit themselves, then score on the counter. If our "run of play" is to play into their hands all the time, we will get what we deserve against such sides.

Right from the start I said, I wish we would play that one touch football like Leeds.  Within 5mins of saying it, they had ripped our defence apart and scored