Sign in to follow this  
Hoola Han Solo

Comedy hour

For anybody that fancies a laugh (although look out for split sides), this is a good read.

Bonus points if you can spot the factual errors:-

http://diaryofatractorgirl.blogspot.com/2018/08/ipswich-town-and-norwich-city-back-on.html?m=1

Oh my god there are loads! But I just think this has to be my favourite, in regards to the play off games... "yet still the Canaries needed a second leg and a sending off to get past us and

into the finals."What an absolute DINGBAT.

Well the obvious one is that we finished third in the inaugral Premier League.

The reason I found that funny is that it seems she''s almost suggesting that the play off games are one leg!It''s just badly written, I guess. But the point is, god forbid, we could have lost 2-0 in the first one and STILL come out on top by winning the next by two goals.

It''s just a repeat of the same old deluded nonsense really.

Regular visitors to TWTD will know that never a day goes by on that forum without some blue-tinted reminiscences of their ''glorious past,'' of Sir Bobby Robson or of the team he created.

It is incessant. There cannot be a set of fans the length and breadth of this land, and probably beyond it, who are so steeped in their own perceived historical success and who need to remind themselves of it constantly.

In truth, it hardly amounts to much and in retrospect was the kind of freak happening that those pre-Premier League, pre-internet days of black and white television and dray-horse drawn carriages threw up.

Their ''bulging'' trophy cabinet consists of just three rusting trophies and none less than forty odd years old. Yet you would think that it contained dozens the way they go on and on and on about it all.

There must be some deep psychological analysis available for this kind of collective backwardness other than just an inferior complex borne out of a small town, small club mentality, but I''m not qualified enough to comment further.

They call us envious when we mention our eagerness to laugh at them for this trait. I would actually be intensely jealous if ITFC had been more successful that Norwich City in the last twenty five years or so, but they haven''t by some distance.

Ipswich Town, the gift that keeps on giving, and this season looks like there will be no exception to this.

True, both clubs seem on a par nowadays (a situation which might be resolved on Sunday,) but despite our own current misgivings and morbid fears for the future of our club I still see us as the one''s most likely to rise above the ordinary in the not too distant future.

What a stupid binnerette. Their 5th place finish was a greater achievement than us finishing 3rd. ( as well as 5th and I think 4th) because the top division was stronger when they did it. What a subjective and biased viewpoint.

BTW, stars on shirts are justified for winning the WC as a national side or the Champions League as a club but the title, FA Cup or minor European trophy? On that basis Manchester United and Liverpool''s shirts would be covered in them.

[quote user="Crafty Canary"]What a stupid binnerette. Their 5th place finish was a greater achievement than us finishing 3rd. ( as well as 5th and I think 4th) because the top division was stronger when they did it. What a subjective and biased viewpoint.

BTW, stars on shirts are justified for winning the WC as a national side or the Champions League as a club but the title, FA Cup or minor European trophy? On that basis Manchester United and Liverpool''s shirts would be covered in them.[/quote]

Indeed. Imagine Rangers, Celtic, Benfica or Real Madrid adopting their star policy!!

We did finish fifth and fourth Crafty but they were in the First Division (old money) which they did win when it was in black and white. Although, I believe (correct me if I’m wrong) our name also appears on that trophy thanks to the Worthington escapades back in 03/04. 😁

They really are a tragic excuse of a club. Barely been in the top division since the early-mid 80s and think they are relevant and seem to have this notion that they are everyone''s second team. Talk about deluded.

Duncan Edwards wrote the following post at 30/08/2018 5:53 PM:

Crafty Canary wrote:
What a stupid binnerette. Their 5th place finish was a greater achievement than us finishing 3rd. ( as well as 5th and I think 4th) because the top division was stronger when they did it. What a subjective and biased viewpoint.

BTW, stars on shirts are justified for winning the WC as a national side or the Champions League as a club but the title, FA Cup or minor European trophy? On that basis Manchester United and Liverpool''s shirts would be covered in them.

Indeed. Imagine Rangers, Celtic, Benfica or Real Madrid adopting their star policy!!

We did finish fifth and fourth Crafty but they were in the First Division (old money) which they did win when it was in black and white. Although, I believe (correct me if I’m wrong) our name also appears on that trophy thanks to the Worthington escapades back in 03/04. 😁

Duncan, when I pointed out to the Binners that our name is engraved on the Championship trophy too they went into melt down. How could we consider it to be comparable as when they won it it was the national title. It really upset them I''m pleased to report.

Regarding the stars, I personally think it''s tinpot because it''s for three different things! If they''d won one of those trophies three times then fair enough. Correct me if I''m wrong, but don''t other teams that have stars have them for the same competition?

Besides, the leagues are littered with teams who were big and successful XXX years ago, but the Binmen are the only fans I know who bang on and on about winning something last century!

My Dad games anymore due to ill health but me and my boys have amazing memories of that day at Wembley! All my son''s bin-fan schools mates have is their grandad telling them that they won something 30 years before they were born!

I also notice she ignores going in to administration in her write up of their glorious history, how many stars for ripping off St Johns Ambulance and renting your ground from the council?

It''s a sad day when even your own manager is pulling the pee out of your fans obsession with the past as did McCarthy within days of taking up the job.
I don''t think it is about hopefully winding us up either as over the years I have heard similar comment from other club''s fans in regard to their rather weird delusion.
And it is a bit rich coming from a binlette who, it would seem, has no recollection of the club being much other than an impoverished, struggling second tier club.