Sign in to follow this  
TCCANARY

Good News! We only have to make a 1% improvement to stay up

Doesn''t really work when you can''t get 37.6 points or whatever. A load of millarkly that''ll be hardly relevant in reality.

Nice to see they''ve worked out we don''t have to do too much better to stay up though

I''m gonna get a lucky rabbits foot.

Can''t be bothered to go outside the city though, do you think the kid will mind if her rabbit in the garden develops a limp?

I followed this stats website intensively during Hughton''s last season with us.  The problem with it then was that it was heavily driven by historic performances.  As a result, around this time it showed Sunderland as being dead and buried with a tiny chance of survival, and us with a chance of being relegated of just 10% or so - I can''t remember exactly but it was looking pretty good at that stage.  Of course, in reality our form nosedived and Sunderland pulled off an amazing escape.  So I''m pretty dubious.

This season, the table is really the only stat you need to look at.  Villa already have an almost impossible task.  Sunderland look favourites for the 2nd relegation spot and there comes a time when a club has avoided the drop narrowly for enough years that it finally catches up with them, so this looks to be their year.  I hope.

The question then is simply who will end up in the 3rd relegation spot.  Our problem is that all the teams around us can pull out results in any game (so can we to be fair).  Everyone from West Brom down is in the mix, it''s still not impossible Chelsea could implode and get caught up in it again.  So it is really down to who can put together a decent run of results, and who gets left behind.

People writing this off should do so with caution - the only thing you can use to predict future events more accurately is past events.

The table represents a snapshot of how the league would pan out if everyone continued to perform as the analysts feel they have so far. Obviously form dips/peaks for unknown factors (injury/dissent in dressing room/luck) but I would have thought they would factor something into the model to try to compensate for that.

Basically, they''re saying we have to perform better than we have or hope Newcastle and/or Bournemouth perform worse. I think that''s quite obvious with or without the stats bods.

Also (this has been bugging me) it''s not 1% improvement needed. It''s 0.1 point, 0.2 to be sure, which I think (using their figures and if my B in GCSE maths still works) is 0.26% and 0.5 % respectively.

I''ll go away now.

(One final thought - the table would indicate that there''s definite value in having a bet on Bournemouth going down - you can get 13/2 widely at the moment and it would look like they''re be much closer to the third spot than that.)

(One final thought - the table would indicate that there''s definite value in having a bet on Bournemouth going down - you can get 13/2 widely at the moment and it would look like they''ll be much closer to the third spot than that.)

[quote user="Platonic"]Also (this has been bugging me) it''s not 1% improvement needed. It''s 0.1 point, 0.2 to be sure, which I think (using their figures and if my B in GCSE maths still works) is 0.26% and 0.5 % respectively. I''ll go away now.[/quote]

So it''s even better news.  [^]

Bless me! I thought the "Good News" was certain to be TC saying in future he''ll post only interestingly and illuminatingly about football [:''(]

But how on earth to get 0.1 point in football? A 0.1 improvement is technically impossible.

And how did they work it out that Arsenal has more chance to win the title than Man City does, but less chance to to make the top four?

[quote user="westcoastcanary"]Bless me! I thought the "Good News" was certain to be TC saying in future he''ll post only interestingly and illuminatingly about football [:''(][/quote]

Oh Dear, someone seems to have a bee in their bonnet.