Sign in to follow this  
Prince of Darkness

The wolf

In general I prefer players to not get frustrated or complain, but in RVW''s case he knew his game was making runs off the last man. So after while if others weren''t playing those passes (because we all observed his movement when he first arrived) he should have gone ballistic, it would have showed a bit desire and self belief. He was our record signing after all!! But he was a bit too meek about it all for me. In Snoddy''s case he was neggy at times, and it may have rubbed off on others but he has done more than enough to be considered a success at the club.

Snoddy deservedly got POTS, cant take that away from him !

Wolf one goal wonder, total waste of money, cant take that away from him !!

LDC I feel is trying to play devils advocate and keep a boring thread alive, cant be any other reason ?.

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]

LDC I feel is trying to play devils advocate and keep a boring thread alive, cant be any other reason ?.[/quote]

Merely gave my opinion on his progress and then answered people who commented on it.  Never said RVW was a wonder player, just that I would like to see him do well.   Snoddy has a mixed reception on here, I''m one of those that didn''t like his histrionics, dressed up as "desire".   Continually holding on to the ball too long, then falling over at the touch of a feather then remonstrating with everyone around him was something that I intensely disliked seeing and it happened in every game he played in, several times.   Just another poor memoy of a poor season all round from board to manager to players to fans.  Thankfully becoming a distant memory with the success last season and the enterprise shown by AN this season.

The fact that he seems like a decent bloke shouldn''t disguise that in virtually all eyes he is a poor player. I''m sure we''d all love him to come good, but there is no evidence to show that it will and after something like 10 touches in his first game (the one where he did score) the alarm bells were there from the start.

My old nan was nice, measured and never showed frustration, but I doubt she''d have made a premier league football squad.

Tumbleweed wrote

My old nan was nice, measured and never showed frustration, but I doubt she''d have made a premier league football squad.

Might have done had she shown up at Poorman Road

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Lessingham Canary"]

LDC I feel is trying to play devils advocate and keep a boring thread alive, cant be any other reason ?.[/quote]

Merely gave my opinion on his progress and then answered people who commented on it.  Never said RVW was a wonder player, just that I would like to see him do well.   Snoddy has a mixed reception on here, I''m one of those that didn''t like his histrionics, dressed up as "desire".   Continually holding on to the ball too long, then falling over at the touch of a feather then remonstrating with everyone around him was something that I intensely disliked seeing and it happened in every game he played in, several times.   Just another poor memoy of a poor season all round from board to manager to players to fans.  Thankfully becoming a distant memory with the success last season and the enterprise shown by AN this season.

[/quote]
Not quite. What you also said was that he was held back at Real Betis because he had a number of good strikers ahead of him. When Legend Iwan asked you in a civil way how you knew this you didn''t reply, did you Lakey? How do you know it? Betis have scored the least amount of goals in their division this season apart from the bottom three teams.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Lessingham Canary"]

LDC I feel is trying to play devils advocate and keep a boring thread alive, cant be any other reason ?.[/quote]Merely gave my opinion on his progress and then answered people who commented on it.  Never said RVW was a wonder player, just that I would like to see him do well.   Snoddy has a mixed reception on here, I''m one of those that didn''t like his histrionics, dressed up as "desire".   Continually holding on to the ball too long, then falling over at the touch of a feather then remonstrating with everyone around him was something that I intensely disliked seeing and it happened in every game he played in, several times.   Just another poor memoy of a poor season all round from board to manager to players to fans.  Thankfully becoming a distant memory with the success last season and the enterprise shown by AN this season. [/quote]
Not quite. What you also said was that he was held back at Real Betis because he had a number of good strikers ahead of him. When Legend Iwan asked you in a civil way how you knew this you didn''t reply, did you Lakey? How do you know it? Betis have scored the least amount of goals in their division this season apart from the bottom three teams.
[/quote] Weirdly, I don''t live on this message board so don''t see all comments and missed that one.  As it happens, out of interest I did look into the strikers at Betis when RVW went there - Castro is a highly thought of player, and it is plain to see why RVW is behind him.  Molina is also a good striker - and team captain and somewhat of a Grant Holt type inspirational player. RVW has to fight his way through these players to get any match time. 

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Lessingham Canary"]

LDC I feel is trying to play devils advocate and keep a boring thread alive, cant be any other reason ?.[/quote]Merely gave my opinion on his progress and then answered people who commented on it.  Never said RVW was a wonder player, just that I would like to see him do well.   Snoddy has a mixed reception on here, I''m one of those that didn''t like his histrionics, dressed up as "desire".   Continually holding on to the ball too long, then falling over at the touch of a feather then remonstrating with everyone around him was something that I intensely disliked seeing and it happened in every game he played in, several times.   Just another poor memoy of a poor season all round from board to manager to players to fans.  Thankfully becoming a distant memory with the success last season and the enterprise shown by AN this season. [/quote]
[/quote] Weirdly, I don''t live on this message board so don''t see all comments and missed that one.  As it happens, out of interest I did look into the strikers at Betis when RVW went there - Castro is a highly thought of player, and it is plain to see why RVW is behind him.  Molina is also a good striker - and team captain and somewhat of a Grant Holt type inspirational player. RVW has to fight his way through these players to get any match time. 

[/quote]
So presumably that means you have not watched any of these strikers that you have stated are "ahead" of RvW. I have watched Castro on a couple of occasions and he is good but, if strikers are predominantly measured by their ability to score goals, RvW would only have to score one to tie any other striker on that team.
It''s also interesting that Real Betis are in the hunt for another striker....
 Tuesday Nov 24, 2015. 07:48
"The profile of Cyprus-based Nigerian striker Matthew Boniface is on the rise as Spanish La Liga side Real Betis have shown interest in signing him when the transfer window re-opens"

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Lessingham Canary"]

[/quote]
So presumably that means you have not watched any of these strikers that you have stated are "ahead" of RvW. I have watched Castro on a couple of occasions and he is good but, if strikers are predominantly measured by their ability to score goals, RvW would only have to score one to tie any other striker on that team.
"The profile of Cyprus-based Nigerian striker Matthew Boniface is on the rise as Spanish La Liga side Real Betis have shown interest in signing him when the transfer window re-opens"[/quote]

Why would you "presume" that?   I too have watched Betis online when they have been on a few times to see if RVW would play and have been impressed with the strikers they have on the pitch - their movement and their skill.   RVW is always going to have a struggle to become a number one striker wherever he goes until he can put a run together of games where he can start scoring again.  He may never do it, but partly because he is still our striker and partly because he seems to always have had a good attitude - I really hope he can do it.

Lakey, a few weeks ago I was up in Windermere and stayed in a small hotel (The Samling) and there was a guy at a table next to us, and when some football talk was going on he talked about how much he liked Norwich and it was such a shame that RVW didn''t work out, just wondered would that have been you ? he said he was a "football supporter" rather than any one team ??

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]Lakey, a few weeks ago I was up in Windermere and stayed in a small hotel (The Samling) and there was a guy at a table next to us, and when some football talk was going on he talked about how much he liked Norwich and it was such a shame that RVW didn''t work out, just wondered would that have been you ? he said he was a "football supporter" rather than any one team ??[/quote]

Would hardly have been me then, would it. [^o)]

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Lessingham Canary"]

[/quote]
"The profile of Cyprus-based Nigerian striker Matthew Boniface is on the rise as Spanish La Liga side Real Betis have shown interest in signing him when the transfer window re-opens"[/quote]

Why would you "presume" that?   I too have watched Betis online when they have been on a few times to see if RVW would play and have been impressed with the strikers they have on the pitch - their movement and their skill.   RVW is always going to have a struggle to become a number one striker wherever he goes until he can put a run together of games where he can start scoring again.  He may never do it, but partly because he is still our striker and partly because he seems to always have had a good attitude - I really hope he can do it.

[/quote]
Simply because of what you stated, if you had watched them then normal people would have simply stated that whereas you said "you looked into it when RvW went there" and then referenced what others thought of their strikers. You do sound like a fibber sometimes.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Lessingham Canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]
Simply because of what you stated, if you had watched them then normal people would have simply stated that whereas you said "you looked into it when RvW went there" and then referenced what others thought of their strikers. You do sound like a fibber sometimes.
[/quote]

So I''m not normal because I said "I looked into it" rather than just "watched them".  Fine, but imo I did more than just watch them. Better maybe to just accept what has been said at face value? It would save time.  

Imagine Malaga''s surprise Bor when they find out that she died in 2009. But even at £8.5m 6 years on she''d represent better value than RVW.......

[quote user="lake district canary"]So I''m not normal because I said "I looked into it" rather than just "watched them".[/quote]
In my view, that reason would barely scrape the Top 50.

[quote user="Bor"][quote user="lake district canary"]So I''m not normal because I said "I looked into it" rather than just "watched them".[/quote]
In my view, that reason would barely scrape the Top 50.
[/quote]

I bow to your knowledge in the field. You are clearly an expert in not being normal......

LDC " Snoddy has a mixed reception on here, I''m one of those that didn''t like his histrionics, dressed up as "desire".   Continually holding on to the ball too long, then falling over at the touch of a feather then remonstrating with everyone around him was something that I intensely disliked seeing and it happened in every game he played in, several times."

What a completely absurd thing to say.

Basically, the simple answer to this is that Ricky isn''t very good.

He played under 5 different managers, in 3 different countries, in a whole host of systems and styles - yet none of them appear to be able to draw any kind of decent performance out of him at top flight level.

There''s one common denominator in all these failures and unfortunately that is Ricky - it''s not the tactics, the coaching , his teammates or the managers. Not all of these people can be getting it wrong and not appreciating what he brings.

To be an effective modern striker at top flight level you ideally need to be have either outstanding physical attributes (e.g. pace or strength, preferably both) or failing that you''ve got to have remarkable technical attributes. The very best combine both. Unfortunately, I don''t see any of those things in Ricky.

I genuinely hope it works for him and that it comes good for him at a decent level somewhere but I just can''t see it. Certainly not here and not in any of the major top flight European leagues.

Agree with Jacko.

Rvw was never good enough... when he joined he was an Average striker in a woeful league (porto apart).

I''m sure he''d been scouted well and unfortuantely until you take a punt you just don''t know..

That punt cost us 9.5 million quid... and didn''t work.

I honestly think RVW will leave on a free this summer to league 1 or Scotland and quickly become a forgotten man.

Sadly that away game against Spurs when the ball fell to Ricky and he dithered and took touch after touch when faced with an open goal convinced me... it was only his 3rd or 4th game.

The Snoddy penalty wouldn''t have mattered...

These "I hate Ricky" threads are getting really sad and pathetic

As are the "I hate Russell" and "Worst ever players"

Ffs let it go, it happened two years ago. This season RVW has played 1 - scored 1.

If you want to be negative go to the Ipswich forum, you will find plenty of like-minded people.

[quote user="curious yellow"]These "I hate Ricky" threads are getting really sad and pathetic

As are the "I hate Russell" and "Worst ever players"

Ffs let it go, it happened two years ago. This season RVW has played 1 - scored 1.

If you want to be negative go to the Ipswich forum, you will find plenty of like-minded people.[/quote]
a) this isn''t "I hate Ricky", it''s "Ricky isn''t very good".
b) he is our record signing and still "our" player
c) moaning about threads is moaning
d) Be the change you want to see in the world.  Start a positive thread.  Maybe on Ricky''s 100% goalscoring record this season, as you see it.