Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Down to the bargain bucket

It seems our A list option Mbokani has failed

So has our B list option being Destra

So we are down to...Dwight Gayle

Competing with Bristol City for a striker who has not made an impact on the prem, and is therefore unwanted by any other premiership team, does not suggest intent to stay in this division.

Once again - with no CB and no premiership standard Striker being signed - I call this window bitterly disappointing.

Doesn''t mean I am wetting pants or an Ipswich supporter- doesn''t mean the current team cannot play above themselves and survive. It is just to point out that we have not strengthened and are therefore looking weak in this division.

I would be happy enough with Gayle. He''s a good finisher with pace and who I could see playing well alongside Jerome. Jerome for me has grown in stature since joining us and is ready to lead the line.

Much more concerned about seeing a decent defender come in to be honest.

Completely agree DC''d Boots. It seems our obsession with having a ''footballing board'' (so that life goes on if / when a manager leaves) could be the very thing that causes a manager to leave. Either voluntarily or due to performances.

It was Alex Neil''s job to get us back in the Premier League. It was the board''s job to go and get the players AN felt he needed to ''kick on''. So far, a complete farce.

Would love to understand the rationale for employing a committee of expensive people who so far have singlehandedly managed to not signed the critical positions that AN needs.

At least in the Lambert era, he might not have had a large budget, but he has the autonomy to spend it.

A very disappointing response to the incredible job that AN has done so far.

I do concede that Mbokani does look like the boat has now sailed. He was in the UK, but it''s dragged on a lot and it could well be work permit issues. There was confusion in the press as to whether he holds a Belgian passport or not but someone else on here said that he simply has a Belgian wife so the report was rubbish!

As for Ze Italian Job, we''ve apparently made a £4.5m bid. Gayle must surely be a safety option.

I think it''s the fact that you guys believe everything you read from a football gossip column, then whinge endlessly about it. That''s what''s embarrassing.

I don''t consider our transfer dealings to have been that different to many others, nor that different to usual - plenty of other sides are still getting players in and we have often done business in August. Sides haven''t all done a Watford and hoovered up anything on two legs that moves!

The fact is, transfers can take time, it is not just a matter of calling a guy up and him coming - some deals are complex and include international issues, if that is the market we''re looking at ( and it does seem cheaper).

The transfer window has nearly 3 weeks to go, I can''t see why everyone expects us to complete all our business immediately. I''ll certainly wait and judge our transfer dealings in early September, not now.

How very dare you suggest that everything in the garden is anything but rosy! We have an excellent board backing a hugely successful and experienced manager. Unlike all the other clubs in The Premier League we are going survive and still live within our very tight budget to ensure that there is plenty of money in the bank. We have a perfectly good side packed with Premier League experience led by a manager who walks on water for fun.

We will definitely stay up with little or no problem by following the Southampton and Swansea models (used to be Charlton a few seasons ago – remember them!).

You really should avoid posting on here unless you are prepared to commit unconditional loyalty to everything the club does (or doesn’t do) and be happy to clap at every opportunity. And just remember if we do go down it will be the fault of people who were less than 100% behind the team irrespective of performance or results.

Wes Hooly Fan wrote the following post at 13/08/2015 9:43 AM:

A ''farce''? You lot are embarrassing

Hooly how can you call our scouting network & transfer policy a farce ?????????????

At the end of last season most said we needed competition for Tettey. We signed Mulumbu who I think is an improvement. When fit he will be a top signing.

Most said we needed improvement at right back. Signed Wisdom on a season loan who has a lot of potential and gives us more pace at full back which we have lacked since Naughton was here.

Many thought we needed a left winger- We signed Brady who looks like he can add some quality and can take a set piece too, something we severely lacked and is needed in our armoury as is a good leveller for us smaller clubs to get goals from set pieces .

The other two positions people are clamouring for are Striker and Centre back. Yet to be signed but three weeks to go just yet. Also I think if we sign the striker our defence is good enough to get us 10 clean sheets this season (we got 12 last time in the premier with the same players). If we get the goals we need to turn enough of those into wins we can stay up.

I don''t think this window has been a farce at all. Some astute signings made and if we get one more this could look a very good window in a few months. A centre back would be a bonus in my opinion, just can''t see how we will sign someone who improves us for the budget we have as we have two very good players there already.

Herman - it''s not that I believe some or any of the gossip on here that is causing me to ''whinge''. And nor do I ''whinge'' endlessly.

It''s the first time I''ve ''whinged'' in a long time. And I''m whinging because of the reality. And the reality is our manager has identified we need to bolster our attacking options. (And possibly a centre back.) And we''re fast approaching 3 months since the Wembley final and we still haven''t - despite investing in a footballing board - managed to get the players the manager thinks he needs.

Add in the 2 month negotiations with Hull over Brady and the farce with with Larrivey and I think we''ve made a dog''s breakfast over this transfer window.

I applaud the Board when I think they get it right. I''m allowed to express my views when I think we''re getting it wrong.

Branston - I see where you''re coming from, but in our most successful recent spell (i.e. Lambert), the manager knew roughly what budget he had, then then told McNally which players he wanted and McNally went out and got them. I find it hard to believe AN wouldn''t benefit from a similar set-up.