Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Do not fall into the trap of accepting we need to consolidate and rebuild

I''m dismayed at the number of posts already appearing saying how we need a clear out or how its now about avoiding relegation and rebuilding. This is how a long period of championship nothingness starts.

We are only 8 points off top of this proxy division and there is barely a decent side in this league. We can still go up this season and that objective should remain paramount. We have good players and we should not be selling anyone until we have no chance of going up unless they are truly surplus to requirements.

Please do not accept the "little old Norwich, this is part of our natural cycle mantra." It''s not, this is due to an appalling decision by our board. Force them to change it now and its not too late.

I would like to agree Jim but the de facto position is that we do not have the appropriate leadership to achieve promotion. For that appointment we must look to the board. Make no mistake, our momentum is downwards, relegation is more likely that promotion and, as night follows day, the squad will unwind and we shall languish again in the second tier, at best.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]I would like to agree Jim but the de facto position is that we do not have the appropriate leadership to achieve promotion. For that appointment we must look to the board. Make no mistake, our momentum is downwards, relegation is more likely that promotion and, as night follows day, the squad will unwind and we shall languish again in the second tier, at best.[/quote]

I agree Highland but i''m really worried we are going to adjust/clear out the playing squad in January when the real issue here is the quality of the management and leadership they are being given. Adams is very good at passing the buck onto his players, a fact I am sure is not lost of most of them. I''m not saying they are 100% blameless but footballers are the breed that they are and we are not going to be able to change that. We have all seen before how the same set of players, when organised and motivated properly can be transformed. We can change the manager far more easily and we should.

Define "good players".

To me, those are players that can consistently produce a high level of performance.

Although adams is out of his depth, a lot of our players aren''t as good as we think.

Taking the formula 1 analogy further we have a good squad making the raw components of what could be a good car - sadly the good engine is not working with the excellent chassis or the gearbox let alone the brilliant driver - we need the engineer to put it together into one effective car so that each part complements each other,  know what each others role is,  work more effectively together than as an individual part and have the ability to recognise that sometimes they need to give more if say the tyres are failing in an individual race.

Sadly our designer and race engineer is still looking at the components a stuck an engine (attack) that is too big for the chassis (midfield) while neglecting to realise that the tyres (defence) keep you on the track and done nothing to address the lack of grip they are providing then expressing surprise when once again we softly leave the track,  picking up poor points.  

back to the OP;   I agree that we have the raw talent to get promoted,  and with a little managerial direction and confidence we can still get promoted this season;   

Currently I have seen nothing from Adams to suggest that he is capable of either identifying or resolving the fundamental problems that are behind the slump of the last 10 weeks.

Simmo

Hardly Formula One  more like Stock Car

We proved last season we hardly had the quality to survive,  probably perhaps one or two of our present squad would make it into present Premiership sides

[quote user="vlad666"]Define "good players".

To me, those are players that can consistently produce a high level of performance.

Although adams is out of his depth, a lot of our players aren''t as good as we think.[/quote]

Why do our players perform so much better for there respective international managers?

I don''t think we need a clear out of players, just some defensive upgrades.

But, I don''t understand why we have not used the newer signings more regularly, have we not learnt from Becchio?

Adams is beginning to worry me, initially I thought we were just going through one of those unlucky spells dominating but getting suckered.

Now I am beginning to feel the gamble has simply failed, but the Board won''t change with MP now here, they will want to see how this affects things. Our Neil needs to man up and take some advice, just hope the failure to do so was not the reason Robson got chopped.

Remember that our Europe team was basically a bunch of cast off players assembled and working rather well together. Our squad should, if utilised properly which neither CH nor NA have so far done, be quite capable of getting promoted.

If Adams could stop the rot why did he not stop it after 3 or 5 or 7 or 9 games ? afraid the guy really has not got a clue and is fast looking even more clueless than Gunn .

The fact he is still in a job is only because we have joke owners who do not want to own up to a mistake that everybody told them would end this way .

Although it happens all the time it always baffles me that most people heap all the blame on the manager, without any knowledge of what happens behind the scenes, even though they regularly watch the players getting it wrong.

Hughton, like him or not, arrived here with experience and a very good track record, yet ultimately didn''t succeed with this group of players.

Adams, fair enough has no managerial experience at this level, has come in and tried a different approach - the attacking football that fans were screaming for last season - and now that isn''t working.

The common factor is the players. What we see with our own eyes every week is supposedly professional players making stupid mistakes and putting in sub-standard performances.

Of course it''s the manager''s responsibility to address these issues and so far Adams attempts have been too unlimited and unsuccessful.

But it seems to me that most at Carrow Road have completely unrealistic ideas about how good our squad is and how straightforward it was going to be to go straight back up.

It has never been easy to get out of this division which is one of the reasons why its actually a lot more interesting than playing in the Premiership.