Sign in to follow this  
Campbell

Just a reminder...

In our Championship winning season, we finished the month of August with 7 points from 5 games...two wins, a draw and two losses, and were in a fairly uninspiring 12th position...Ipswich by the way were down in 22nd place.

So to say we''re in crisis, or we''re poor and have no chance of promotion, or words to similar effect based on three games is pretty laughable.

Keep The Faith

Completely agree Campbell patitence is the key - I think we were 8th at the end of October.

The only problem was we had won all our home games by the end of October 2003, so we do have to get points away from home. I''m confident on what I''ve seen so far, we will be there at the end of the season.

[quote]We also brought in Huckerby,Crouch and Harper to kick start the season , thats not going to happen this time .[/quote]

Why not? After the release of high earners and the sale of Francis, I''m sure there is a bit of money to spend there and if we haven''t spent it by August 31st, it will be spent in the January transfer window... we may also be able to loan a few players as-well.

Will everyone take a chill-pill...

[quote]Why not? After the release of high earners and the sale of Francis, I''m sure there is a bit of money to spend there and if we haven''t spent it by August 31st, it will be spent in the January transfer ...[/quote]

I think this quote from the Pinkun''s top story answers your query:

“We''re always having a look too see what there is, but in all honesty right now there''s not an awful lot out there,” said Worthington.

So no chance of the cavalry arriving any time soon.

As premier1 points out, we strenghtened the team at the end of August with Crouch, Harper and Hucks. We then went on and made permanent signings with Matty, Leon and Hucks.

Does anyone really think that we will have an influx of players that would so radically alter the team again this August? Or that we will make 3 major signings in January?

That isn''t going to happen this year

When we started the 2003 season we had an average Championship squad with little depth of quality. We now have a very good starting 11, which doesn''t need such an influx of players, but which is short of depth of quality. The main worry is cover for Safri, which we WILL need. The first choice 11 hasn''t had enough minutes on the pitch yet, pre-season was badly disrupted, but they are looking better. We need patience and at least 1 more quality CM, Deano and Leon to click again, and we are off and running.

I am still very confident of a top 6 finish (with the league as tight as it is, nobody should be confident of a top 2 finish, but I think we have a better chance than most).

The signings of the throbbing threesome didnt come until after the forest debacle in Sept during the weeks absence for international fixtures.  By then the transfer window will be closed and no one signing will be made let alone 3 and the 4 months until the window opens contains a lot of football.

That is why there is an added urgency about the concerns of the squad strength - there are only 2 weeks left before the door shuts.

As far as a lack of quality being available, most players have their price (Ellington to WBA for example) if we realy want/need them.  The price of not have an further covering central midfielder is too scary to consider.

And why will any more player be available in Jan when the transfer window is even quieter?  The only players available will be from teas out of any competition or facing relegation - is that what we want, players low on confidence?

After 31/8 we can sign no one until 1/1/2006 - thats a long way to go with a small squad.

OTBC

Its not just the price thats the barrier, its also location and league position.

Yes we all love Norwich and Norfolk, but it won''t appeal to a lot of people especially those used to living in big cities. It can be a nightmare to get in and out of, and although it has some nice bars, clubs and restaurants it isn''t exactly spoiled for choice. We aren''t a media favourite club either.

We will find it difficult to sign the quality we crave outside the Premiership. We wouldn''t have signed Ashton for example as a Championship outfit. Hucks is one in a million, and could earn twice/three times what he earns for us at another club - not many players, especially the young talented players we want, would do that. Ashton is also different to a lot of players, compare his attitude to say Kieron Richardson - and who is most typical? It *might* be easier in Jan if we are top of the table, but really the sort of player we are calling for will only come when we are promoted again.

Don''t forget Ellington has gone to a Premiership side, and cost £3m. We have to be realistic in our expectations. I really doubt we have £3m to spend right now, it would be a huge gamble. This gamble would be shortened in Jan *IF* we are looking good for promotion... Spending money is no guarentee of success though (ask Wolves), and we can''t afford to lose the gamble... don''t forget how big our debts are!

Zip...It is perfectly possible that we could get players in after the beginning of September on loan. As I posted on another thread yesterday the loan rules are extremely relaxed this season and you can have up to eight loan players at any one time although only a maxiumum of five can play in any one game.

I got this from someone at the club who should know on Saturday and I can assure you that from my conversation with him loan players are very much in the clubs thinking.

It worked spectacularly well two seasons ago and hopefully will do so again.

[quote]Its not just the price thats the barrier, its also location and league position. Yes we all love Norwich and Norfolk, but it won''t appeal to a lot of people especially those used to living in big ci...[/quote]

Well put, Putney... We have to be realistic, but as fans we''re not - we expect every player to hear the name Norwich City and come running to us in a cut-price deal.

The truth of the matter is that Norwich isn''t the most appealing place for young, talented players.  Jesus, even I, despite thinking Norwich is a great city, harbour desires to leave for the brighter lights of the North - a part of the country truly diverse, rich in culture, and overall more friendly.

Until we''re embedded in the Prem, we''re not going to attract a Deano or a Hucks every five minutes - lets just be grateful for what we have - We''ve started this season with Deano, Leon, Hucks and Marney... Two seasons ago we had Nielsen, McVeigh (who is still welcome, mind), Rivers and Easton...

If Worthy doesn''t sign a few more players before the end of August, he will be making a gamble on having a quality team, rather than a large quantity squad.  Worthy''s gambles have paid off in the past... Come 1st September, lets not jeer him, lets get behind him and see what happens in Jan...

[quote]Zip...It is perfectly possible that we could get players in after the beginning of September on loan. As I posted on another thread yesterday the loan rules are extremely relaxed this season and you c...[/quote]

Many apologies  - I have not seen your note on loanees Mr R and had been informed that the transfer rules were a replica of those in place in the prem for a season or two - same transfer windows and regulations over timings and numbers of loan players.  If I remember rightly the numbers you mention are the same as recent non prem rules - historically split a max of 2 long term and so six at a max 91 days during the season?

That leaves 1 more season long loan possible (unless these numbers  have also changed) and midfield remains the target area.  Anyone at Bolton, Boro or Brum needing a game?

OTBC