Sign in to follow this  
Newton

Fantastic News

Norfolk Mustard wrote the following post at 30/05/2014 6:22 PM:

Jenkins wrote:
Hardly fantastic news, I see RVW as a great asset in the Championship next season. Under a new manager with a fresh approach playing at a slightly lower level he could do really well for us and with a successful season under his belt could go on to achieve in the prem. He owes us big time, I hope he appreciates that and wants to deliver. Bad news if this is true.

Ditto.

People who have written RVW off are very narrow-minded. He has clear talent & NA could be just the coach to get him performing well.

More members of the internet rose tinted giasses brigade, any one who has seen the man in a football kit live (avoided the word play as he does not) knows he will never achieve an acceptable standard in english football

The only coach wolf needs is one to stansted

Jenkins wrote the following post at 31/05/2014 8:10 AM:

So because we have a different opinion to you we haven''t seen him play eh

Jenkins I respect people can have different view points - all that I am asking is what does he bring to the party & hwo will he be a success in the champs - no one seems able to say other than sweeoing comments like he will score a hatfull

Jenkins please tell me how a man who score 1 goal in 27 games in the prem -became the laughing stock on all aspects of the media, including these boards , will all of a sudden become a goal machine

I await the rose tinted responses with interest ?

The pressure is off, the players will have had a break, a fresh start in July and we may well see a rejuvinated and different player in RVW.  He had a nightmare in his first season, not helped by Snodgrass''s insistence on never crossing the ball in early enough and Redmond''s lack of exeprience and poor crossing. 

To simply write people off is a simplistic attitude to have and RVW will show his worth, especially in a more mobile and better passing team.

RVW has scored goals everywhere he has been until he came here. As has Hooper. As did Holt....... until Hughton came along. Anyone see the link here?

Oh I see now the Rose Tinted response as to how laughing stock Wolf will score a hatful in the champs is that he has scored a lot of goals for previous clubs

He has no pace

Poor Ball Control

No physical presence

Does not close down or tackle back

Rosed Tinters i REPEAT AGAIN WHAT QUALITIES DOES HE HAVE THAT INDICATES HE WILL SCORE A HATFUL IN THE CHAMPS

Please dont just say he scored a lot in some 3rd date league in Portugal that only has 3 yeams above league 1 standard

[quote user="Highland Canary"]Snodgrass'' assist rate would have been significantly higher had he stopped trying to do everything himself and released the ball a bit quicker. Also, I think he needed a strong captain, Holt, to give him the odd bollocking when he got too big for his boots.[/quote]

There you go.[Y]

Newton

Rosed Tinters i REPEAT AGAIN WHAT QUALITIES DOES HE HAVE THAT INDICATES HE WILL SCORE A HATFUL IN THE CHAMPS

Please dont just say he scored a lot in some 3rd date league in Portugal that only has 3 yeams above league 1 standard"

25 goals in 2011/12. Now then Newton, you may not like to be reminded of his goal scoring record, buts thats actually how you measure a strikers quality. He''s had a poor season, he also was injured, and played in a side that created very very little, I was disappointed as we all were, but i would not be prepared to right off an £8 mil pound striker on the basis of one season.

If he is able to regain the sort of form he has shown in the past next season then he is going to be a great asset.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]Snodgrass'' assist rate would have been significantly higher had a target man been in the side last season.[/quote]Snoddy''s assist rate would have been higher if he''d actually bothered aiming his crosses to where RVW/Hooper wanted/needed them...Please also note that the guy who many say has ''no end product'' (Redmond) has a higher cross success rate than Snoddy does - really does show how poor Snoddy''s cross distribution has been tbh...

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Highland Canary"]Snodgrass'' assist rate would have been significantly higher had a target man been in the side last season.[/quote]Snoddy''s assist rate would have been higher if he''d actually bothered aiming his crosses to where RVW/Hooper wanted/needed them...Please also note that the guy who many say has ''no end product'' (Redmond) has a higher cross success rate than Snoddy does - really does show how poor Snoddy''s cross distribution has been tbh...[/quote]
2 points:
1) Snodgrass attempted far more crosses a game then Redmond did, which could help explain the difference in cross success rate, the more often you try to cross, the more chance your crosse could be inaccurate. 
2) In terms of amount of successful crosses a game, Snodgrass has the third highest in the league at an average of 2.1 a game.
Don''t get me wrong, Snodgrass'' crossing is far from perfect, I''ve mentioned in the past that he needs to add more variety to his attacks and has become over reliant on advancing to the edge of the penalty area before cutting back onto his stronger foot, but statistically he''s among the most productive crossers in the league (although we could then debate about whether the reason he has such a high number of accurate crosses a game is due to the fact he just crosses more than everyone else rather than an indication of him having a particularly good delivery...)

More sense from PJF. But I don''t really know how you measure an accurate cross. There''s three variables to consider. The crosser has to put the ball into an area. Forwards have to attack areas. Defenders have to defend areas. How do you work a success rate from that?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]More sense from PJF. But I don''t really know how you measure an accurate cross. There''s three variables to consider. The crosser has to put the ball into an area. Forwards have to attack areas. Defenders have to defend areas. How do you work a success rate from that?[/quote]
An ''accurate'' cross is any cross that finds a teammate. The biggest issue with this is that it actually tells us nothing about the quality of the cross itself. An ''accurate'' cross could be an absolutely awful ball, a bobbling mishit cross, that, by pure coincidence, happens to find a teammate, whilst an inaccurate cross could be an absolutely delicious one, with the right amount of spin and pace and delivered into the perfect area but if no teammate can get to it, the cross is still considered inaccurate. Just because the awful cross was accurate, does that make it a good cross? And just because the good cross was inaccurate, does that make it a terrible cross?
That''s why crossing statistics have to be used even more carefully than other footballing statistics (which must be used carefully themselves) as there is no statistic for a ''good cross'', just whether a cross was accurate or inaccurate which is not, in itself, a particularly good indicator of a ''good'' cross.

Said it better than I ever could Philip. Attackers can never be stationary targets and at the speed the game is played a winger can at best hit an area. A defender could react faster or the striker could have gambled on another area.

If a goal is scored against us from a cross fans often look to blame a defender and yet if we don''t score from a cross fans often blame the winger or attacker. It''s not that simple.