Sign in to follow this  
Since 1980

Do we deserve to go down?

[quote user="Chippy Minton"]We are:

bottom 3 for number of games won.
bottom 3 for fewest games lost
bottom 3 for goals scored
bottom 3 for most goals against
the only teams not to have beaten us at least once are Stoke, Palace and Sunderland.

Yes, although I hate to say it, I think we probably do deserve to go down.

[/quote]

How does that work? The fewest games lost would have us near the very top!

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]

[quote user="Chippy Minton"]We are:bottom 3 for number of games won.bottom 3 for fewest games lostbottom 3 for goals scoredbottom 3 for most goals againstthe only teams not to have beaten us at least once are Stoke, Palace and Sunderland.Yes, although I hate to say it, I think we probably do deserve to go down.

[/quote]

How does that work? The fewest games lost would have us near the very top!

[/quote]Top of fewest games lost would be 0 games lostBottom would be 38 games lost,We are bottom 3 with 20 games lost along with Cardiff 20 and Fulham 23

We absolutely deserve to be relegated.

We can''t defend, can''t score and lack any kind of character within the squad.

It would almost feel like an injustice if we stayed up!

Undoubtedly we did not have one of the three worst squads - in that respect we should not.

However after 38 games you finish where you performances deserve - so the answer is yes.  

That we failed to appear in so many away games,   compete in midfield or create enough chances,  relied on poor quality players who looked like they were putting ineffort,  our inability to win games where we were the better side - the answer is yes.    Poorly players performing poorly played by poor performing managers - thats relegation choices.

Yet - we can still dig ourselves out of this hole with our best team at our disposal..

Although I agree with you on most things ZLF, I do disagree about the squad. The defence/MF performed in a similar manner to all the other bottom half teams (sometimes excellent, sometimes good, but too often poor - inconsistent in a word) the strikers were simply awful. My gripe is that we created (again inconsistently, but create them we did) as many chances as other teams, but they just couldn''t put them away. They nearly always mistimed their runs, dipped out, passed instead of shooting, shot instead of passing; generally showed a level of ineptitude, commitment & guts that was unacceptable. It was so frustrating because only a few, a very few goals would have made all the difference.

[quote user="Making Plans"]Yes!
Never should have happened though because we totally bungled it.
We weren''t one of the worst 3 teams but slowly & surely we managed to turn ourselves into one of them.
[/quote]

That is precisely the way I see it. I remember watching the Palace New Year game with my brother in law and saying words to the effect that we were miles better than them. That was before the Johnson goal.

Then the creeping malaise that was Hughtonism set in. Now they are clearly miles better than us.

We''ve almost become a figure of fun to the media and neutrals also. Adrian Durham was but the first and most vocal to say we were a poor team, others have realised we have been negative, have no spine and are simply not worth watching. RVW will go down in future lists of expensive flops. We try to clutch at straws and pick on half chances here and there but it has been like the proverbial men against boys at times. We have simply not been on the same level as most others in this division and relied too often on a complete no-show by the opposition to win a game. The only team I recall us beating this season who played well against us was Southampton at home. We absolutely deserve to go down.

[quote user="ron obvious"] It was so frustrating because only a few, a very few goals would have made all the difference.[/quote]But is not that always the case, Ron ? Yes, if we''d created and put away just one more chance in each of one of the games we drew, we''d have four more points and, to all intents and purposes, safe.Not too sure if we''ve really created enough chances, despite what you say. Sure the ''strikers'' (sic) hav fluffed their fair share but even Suarez does that from time to time! At our level it''s a percentages game, and, we simply have not created enough for that to work in or favour, I''m afraid.