Sign in to follow this  
im spartacus canary

The Worthy out movement ?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Just remember what happened the last time dear old Wiz went wheel to hoof with a horse....

[/quote]

Do you reckon it was the horse that gobbed all over him ?

Haha well it does look like the ''WO/KTF great gayoff'' has finally gay''d off. Chicken, not you pal as far as I could see - I was referring to the 2 Lowestoft boys that were preparing to duel outside their local Morrisons or whatever.

I think we can all agree though that this board is nowhere near as argumentative as it once was. Mind you, I remember it being at it''s most mellow when I used to post on here under my old account back in the early 2000''s, though there was a lot less traffic on here then, I think old Wiz was only in his late 90''s back in those days!

[quote user="chicken"]

Anyways - Purple - I wasn''t trying to suggest that the money wasn''t spent wisely or used to pay off debts we didn''t have to.

Just as I remember at the time, people kept demanding that the club spent money it stated it didn''t have. I am sure you are right in that there were payments he had to make - which prevented us from spending more on the playing staff.[/quote]

I''m sure you weren''t, chicken, but some fans (and, as those quotes show, Worthington) still paint an unrealistic picture of that time. There is a column on the subject on Waghorn''s My Football Writer site that if I didn''t know better I would swear was written by a child. Its Ashton-inspired contrast of  then - all reactive and all prudent - against now - all proactive and ambitious  - is staggeringly simplistic. In the 45 paragraphs (are there no sub-editors any more?) there is not the slightest acknowledgement of the vastly different financial circumstances of then and now.Or of the dangers of ambition that stretches beyond what finance will allow. I thought even the most blinkered football fand had cottoned on to that concept. But apparently not: "As far as I am concerned there should be no limits to your ambitions – no matter how unrealistic or preposterous they may seem."And for intellectual backing we have a piece of fortune cookie "wisdom" that even uber-optimist lake district canary would find hard to swallow: “Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible.”

From my far away vantage point, it seemed as though he had lost the dressing room so there was no point in continuing with him. He seemed like a very cool, classy gent compared to most in his profession, but it was beyond time for him to go. I don''t blame him though. He seemed to be operating with one hand tied behind his back. There''s only so much you can do when your dealt a 2/7 in a game of Texas Hold''em.

[quote user="Wiz"]

[quote user="City1st"]if he has, can I watch ?[/quote]

Oh yeah, now YOU I''d love to meet![:|]

[/quote]I came to meet you a few weeks ago, Wiz.I rang the doorbell for ages........

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]Or of the dangers of ambition that stretches beyond what finance will allow. I thought even the most blinkered football fand had cottoned on to that concept. But apparently not: "As far as I am concerned there should be no limits to your ambitions – no matter how unrealistic or preposterous they may seem." And for intellectual backing we have a piece of fortune cookie "wisdom" that even uber-optimist lake district canary would find hard to swallow: “Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible.”[/quote]

I don''t find that hard to swallow at all.   I''m not sure who these quotes are attributed to - Worthy? - but the wording is clumsy, that is all.      Its just another way of  saying - don''t limit your view of what is possible.   I think it is possible we could win the league.   Not likely, very, very unlikely,  but not impossible.   If you say it is impossible to win the league then that is not an accurate statement.  It is possible we could be relegated.     It is more likely that we will be relegated than we will win the league, but what is the better thing to say -  we should aim for the top or we should aim to not be relegated?    Football clubs need to be positive in their outlook - its better to look up than down.

Ultimately, of course, the best outlook is to accept the reality of your situation - but at the same time don''t limit your view of what is possible.  As a club, if we have a good run and win our first four or five games, we will be top of the league.  What then?  Do we panic?  Get vertigo?  If we have accepted the possibility we could be at the top of the league, we are more likely to be able to stay there, if it happens.  

Worthy had a slightly off beat way of putting things,  but he did great to get us in the premiership, he just outstayed his welcome afterwards, when things went sour.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Wiz"]

[quote user="City1st"]if he has, can I watch ?[/quote]

Oh yeah, now YOU I''d love to meet![:|]

[/quote]I came to meet you a few weeks ago, Wiz.I rang the doorbell for ages........[/quote]

Can we have a ''like'' button please, Pete?

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]Or of the dangers of ambition that stretches beyond what finance will allow. I thought even the most blinkered football fand had cottoned on to that concept. But apparently not: "As far as I am concerned there should be no limits to your ambitions – no matter how unrealistic or preposterous they may seem." And for intellectual backing we have a piece of fortune cookie "wisdom" that even uber-optimist lake district canary would find hard to swallow: “Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible.”[/quote]

I don''t find that hard to swallow at all.   I''m not sure who these quotes are attributed to - Worthy? - but the wording is clumsy, that is all.      Its just another way of  saying - don''t limit your view of what is possible.   I think it is possible we could win the league.   Not likely, very, very unlikely,  but not impossible.   If you say it is impossible to win the league then that is not an accurate statement.  It is possible we could be relegated.     It is more likely that we will be relegated than we will win the league, but what is the better thing to say -  we should aim for the top or we should aim to not be relegated?    Football clubs need to be positive in their outlook - its better to look up than down.

Ultimately, of course, the best outlook is to accept the reality of your situation - but at the same time don''t limit your view of what is possible.  As a club, if we have a good run and win our first four or five games, we will be top of the league.  What then?  Do we panic?  Get vertigo?  If we have accepted the possibility we could be at the top of the league, we are more likely to be able to stay there, if it happens.  

Worthy had a slightly off beat way of putting things,  but he did great to get us in the premiership, he just outstayed his welcome afterwards, when things went sour.

[/quote]

No, ldc, the quotes are from the writer of the article, which now has its own thread, I see.

[quote user="chicken"]I wasn''t offering anyone out. Especially not wiz that would be cruel. However I was merely highlighting the bully boy tactics he is prepared to use from behind a keyboard when the reality is this sort of episode ends with him going AWOL for a week or so.[/quote]

Not ant more chicken, too old in the tooth nowadays.