Sign in to follow this  
im spartacus canary

The Worthy out movement ?

It was a strange time for city supporters, but as with most football related issues, emotions were running high, and I think some people just got carried away with it all.Personally I think Worthy was a lucky manager who had a decent squad boosted by 3 stella loan signings. We were pretty unstoppable in the championship at that time. No offense, but even Roeder would have got us promoted that season!!If we were serious about our premier league campaign, we should have moved Nigel on before the start of the season. There really were some catastrophic decisions pre-season with players in and out, and I would have preferred to have had that overseen by someone with premier league experience or tactical nous - unfortunately NW had neither, and after the knee jerk too late in January we were predictably relegated. The vitriol from that carried over to the next season and it was just a matter of time for Worthington.I was on the official site at the time, and as usual there were the usual keyboard warriors spoiling for a full on keyboard war (WO Verses KTF). As an exile I only go to away games and can''t remember there being too much animosity amongst fans - just the usual jeering and booing - but definitely a change from the usual solid atmosphere we still get at away games now. Wasn''t it about the same time as the whole Tony Martin thing (not the german cycling time trialist!) - with the arguements about the "shooting burglers" chants?

"And I still stand by my actions, the man, after intially doing well

became arrogant, believing his own press so I still say he had to go."
or what you really saidYes, I did say EX Worthy Outer!.   Wiz (shortly before Worthington was sacked)

ps what were you doing and where when you were spat on by City fans ?

[quote user="City1st"]"And I still stand by my actions, the man, after intially doing well became arrogant, believing his own press so I still say he had to go."

or what you really said

Yes, I did say EX Worthy Outer!.   Wiz (shortly before Worthington was sacked)

ps what were you doing and where when you were spat on by City fans ?

[/quote]

You''ve had one reply off me today................don''t get greedy.

you need to let it all outthe pain, the humiliation and the hurtbeing spat on by fellow City fans, and never once mentioning it beforeyou shouldn''t keep it bottled upshare it with us all how you felt, where you were, what you were doing, and were there still three uncovered stands .............

Lets not turn what was a decent thread into another pointless attack / cross examination on Wiz, pleeeease!  Just when you think things are moving nicely on this board, same old, same old.........

I was in the Barclay for that QPR game and remember it well. The cheering of opposition goals and subsequent disappointment that Norwich won created divisions in our support that remain today. I hold some ipswich fans in higher regard than I do those who cheered for QPR that day and it''s fair to say that I wouldn''t even pee on ''em if they were on fire[:O]

hello wizappears I must apologise for asking to explain your claim that ''fellow'' City fans spat on you

serious accusation

yes Nutty Nigel, thats exactly what really did it for me at that time, our own fans wanting us to lose was the icing on the cake, and I really do hope that nobody on here owns up to that one.........or maybe they will?

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]Lets not turn what was a decent thread into another pointless attack / cross examination on Wiz, pleeeease!  Just when you think things are moving nicely on this board, same old, same old.........[/quote]

i agree its like asking uncle albert to go into detail on his "during the war" stories... just accept wiz talks absolute nonsense and tells tall stories, he changes sides more often than the italian army....it''s really not worth the bother  [:D]

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]yes Nutty Nigel, thats exactly what really did it for me at that time, our own fans wanting us to lose was the icing on the cake, and I really do hope that nobody on here owns up to that one.........or maybe they will?[/quote]

i bet no one has the bollox to admit it mark

I was a Worthy Outer because it was clear that we were heavily in a downward spiral of poor performances, management and results,  we were not getting the quality of performance that we should from what started as a strong squad as we ended up spending parachute money ineffectively.

My frustration was with the clubs owners - I doubt Worthy would have stayed so long with McNally was CEO for example - who dallied when it was clear there problems that were not being solved by the manager.   Unlike some I valued what Worthy acheived,  but as with so many managers he had simply come to the end of his shelf life at NCFC.

and no - I have never cheered an opponents goal.   I was in India for the Worthys last game and despite my part in the campaign was sad that a proud manager was forced to leave under such a cloud by poor leadership.   

I am not sure why we need to revisit such a painful episode in the clubs history though.

Gary Holt, Adam Drury and Damien Francis were great signings. He had multiple problems really. Green , Ashton, Francis  (and later McKenzie) all wanted out. Mulyrne and Holt were never the same after bad injuries, and stalwarts like Fleming, Mackay and Roberts getting too old.So effectively apart from Drury and Huckerby, he ended up needing a new team. Then there was the Steve Howard fiasco, the David Cotterill fiasco etc.

To this day people refuse to give Worthy the credit he deserves. He came in and turned the club around when we looked destined for the third division. The following season he got us to the play off final. Was that luck? Or was that down to a player like our subsequent promotion seems to be down to Huckerby? We never finished below halfway in the Championship but after the Worthy Out Brigade got their way we never finished above halfway until we finally were relegated 3 years later. Some of the abuse he suffered from our own fans was an absolute disgrace. We are never far away from a repeat either. The spoilt child syndrome so nearly raised it''s ugly head again earlier this year only with Hughton being the target. It seems football brings out the worst in some of the people who follow it. Does anyone involved in that disgraceful campaign against Worthy look back with pride on what they did?

[quote user="Wiz"]I''m still very proud that I took part in that City movement despite being spat on by some City fans at the time!................we were proved right in the end![/quote]

some are

though not so forthcoming as to where and when this supposed spitting incident took place

hmmmm

I was only 16 at the time but i remember the atmosphere at that Burnley game being the worst and most poisonous iv experienced since i started going to city games 14 years ago and the two years or so that followed that where pretty awful aswel. But as far as i see it its all part of the journey of being a City fan. The highs and the lows. Looking back if was an awfull time on and off the pitch and i know its been done to death but that game at Charlton triggered the change that saw Mumby, Doncaster and Gunn depart to be replaced by Bowkett, Mcnally and Lambert and we''ve never looked backed since. Makes current times all the more sweeter.

is anybody going to own up to spitting on wiz when he was leading the march along riverside ? since yesterdays revelation police are looking to interview frank rijkaard and justin beiber but only to eliminate them from their enquiries... the phantom flobber is believed to be still at large and not to be approached by any member of the public with anti nigel worthington leanings [:D]

I remember those days well. I was in my early 20''s.

If this latest ''Wiz'' is the same as the last Wiz I can confirm that he was in the ''Out'' camp along with a chap called ''Smudger''.

However I very much doubt the Wiz back then would have made any of the two rather tame marches that took place.

It was a very difficult time for quite a few people and it is interesting how people remember it.

I recall going up to the premiership under Worthington who stated that we had probably gone up at the wrong time in terms of squad readiness.

Upon promotion Doomcaster effectively ruled out any form of big spending instead indicating that much of the premiership money would instead be spent on eradicating debt and meeting payments. That whole prudence with ambition stuff.

Worthington wanted to sign Ashton in the summer prior to the start of the premiership, instead we signed him in January when we faced a mammoth task to stay up.

Instead he was left to continue to try and pick up bargains that could keep us up. To be fair to Worthington we were only a point or so away from doing so. Effectively one goal. And when you look at the results of that season we drew too many games. One goal in any one of those draws, turning it into a win could have made all the difference.

After that a section of the fans never seemed to back Worthington. I''m not sure it is because he should have been spending more money, or be getting better players for it.

What is certain is that the funds the club gave to him started to dry up and he was left to once again try and rebuild the team on a shoe string budget, selling our better players to claw back more funds to try and balance our squad.

People like to slate the likes of Hughes, Carl Robinson and Jurgen Colin but the truth is they were still better than many of the players that followed in the next few years. Not to mention the good signings in Earnshaw, Etuhu, Dublin etc. Most of the good players we had left when he did.

Despite what we failed to achieve Worthington had never really managed us and been in threat of being a third tier team. We were nearly always mid table or better championship side.

I know people will judge getting rid of him by his successors - and to an extent that is fair.

Should he have gone? I think I will always say that it would have been interesting to see what he could have done with decent backing from a chief exec. Eg McNally and co.

I love how the best part of ten years worth of hindsight makes some people feel they were justified when it could have so easily gone the other way. Administration at the point of league 1 would have almost certainly led to relegation to league 2. Who knows what from that point in. I simply cannot agree that that sort of risk is ever one I would have been happy to take - I''m sure McNally would say the same.

[quote user="chicken"]

Upon promotion Doomcaster effectively ruled out any form of big spending instead indicating that much of the premiership money would instead be spent on eradicating debt and meeting payments.[/quote]

I don''t have the accounts going back that far, but I don''t think (Tangible may know) that we eradicated any debt around that time, as opposed to paying off interest. Certainly in 2008, some time later, the debt stood at around £20m, which doesn''t suggest we had paid much if any off.

[quote user="ncfcstar"]Well said Jas.There was a game, maybe very early on in the 06/07 season, or late in 05/06, I can''t remember, where we went 3 down or something along those lines and a vocal minority of the ground were cheering each goal that went in...only for us to come back and draw or win the game - I can''t remember which.  If we''d have lost that day he''d have been sacked IMO.[/quote]QPR i think..

Of course this probably has already been mentioned- not read the whole thread yet.

[quote user="chicken"] If this latest ''Wiz'' is the same as the last Wiz I can confirm that he was in the ''Out'' camp [/quote]

Have I missed something here so can somebody tell me when Wiz came out ? [:D]

[quote user="Wiz"]I''m still very proud that I took part in that City movement despite being spat on by some City fans at the time!................we were proved right in the end![/quote][quote user="First Wizard"]

After Chase, City supporters who spat at us back then, enjoyed the fruit of our labours, no doubt YOU, and others like you will enjoy that pay off again..........soon!.

[/quote]http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/forums/2/639174/ShowPost.aspx#639174

I think the whole Worthington/Grant/Roeder/Gunn times really show how lucky we are with our current board who back their manager and play hardball with other clubs; I was a Worthy Outer (although never cheered opposition goals nor booed our players nor the man himself) but with hindsight I just don''t think he was backed at all. Even with the famed signing of Hucks, the board deliberated forever over whether they could afford 750,000 quid and then Carl Moore paid his wages.Before Worthy, Rioch resigned due to a lack of backing and then Hamilton, then Worthy took over as number twos. Worthy wanted Ashton and/or Crouch pre-season but the board wouldn''t fund it. When we went down we sold many of our good players and replaced them with freebies in Thorne, Jarrett, Colin etc. Roeder was/is an absolute tw@t but he went on record saying many times that he wanted to sign players but simply couldn''t get the funds and the board favoured a loan policy, perhaps still clinging on to the myth that Harper and Crouch''s loans were what got the club promoted in 03/04.Incidentally the supporters cheering the QPR goals were not cheering them gleefully, just ironically; making their displeasure known through sarcasm and not vitriol. From memory, the goals we conceded were comical and highly representable of the way we were playing/defending at the time. I''m not condoning what they did but they do appear to be being portrayed as genuinely supporting an opposition.

[quote user="Zak Van Burger"][quote user="Wiz"]I''m still very proud that I took part in that City movement despite being spat on by some City fans at the time!................we were proved right in the end![/quote]

[quote user="First Wizard"]

After Chase, City supporters who spat at us back then, enjoyed the fruit of our labours, no doubt YOU, and others like you will enjoy that pay off again..........soon!.

[/quote]

http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/forums/2/639174/ShowPost.aspx#639174

[/quote]

Bloody hell the bloke must go round coated in sawdust

[quote user="Chunky Norwich"]I think the whole Worthington/Grant/Roeder/Gunn times really show how lucky we are with our current board who back their manager and play hardball with other clubs; I was a Worthy Outer (although never cheered opposition goals nor booed our players nor the man himself) but with hindsight I just don''t think he was backed at all. Even with the famed signing of Hucks, the board deliberated forever over whether they could afford 750,000 quid and then Carl Moore paid his wages.Before Worthy, Rioch resigned due to a lack of backing and then Hamilton, then Worthy took over as number twos. Worthy wanted Ashton and/or Crouch pre-season but the board wouldn''t fund it. When we went down we sold many of our good players and replaced them with freebies in Thorne, Jarrett, Colin etc. Roeder was/is an absolute tw@t but he went on record saying many times that he wanted to sign players but simply couldn''t get the funds and the board favoured a loan policy, perhaps still clinging on to the myth that Harper and Crouch''s loans were what got the club promoted in 03/04.[/quote]

Wouldn''t fund it or couldn''t fund it? It is  a myth that the board didn''t provide Worthington with money. If you add together the three big signings in the winter (Huckerby, Svensson and Mackenzie) and the newcomers in the summer (Helveg, Charlton, Safri, Jonson, Bentley etc) it was a whole new outfield. It was not surprising there wasn''t much left, given some had to be kept for the winter transfer window.Managers always want more, but the extremely self-serving interview Worthington gave a year or so back to Huckerby (which took the credit for successes but none of the bame for failures) showed just how absurd were his ideas of what was financially feasible for us then:"I honestly do wish that they''d given the whole football club a chance by just releasing some more money,not putting the club in debt,but i think to go and put another,whatever was coming into the club was it 60/70/80 million through Sky with all the other bits and pieces,to go and spend 10/12 million extra on top of the current budget would have been good for the club. You can be so close and yet so far,i see clubs like Hull in the last couple of years who got promotion they''ve held their place in the Premiership and they''ve spent 20 odd million,alright their not in the best of shape at this moment in time but they had a go at it and its worked for a couple of years."For starters the club''s income for the 2011-12 Premier League season was only £74m so lord alone knows where he gets the idea that we were getting up to £80m back in 2004-05. But the idea, there in black and white, that we should have spent an extra £10m-£12m is just barking mad. And in case anyone thinks that is a slip of the tongue he follows up by saying we should have followed the example of, wait for it, Hull City! A club whose overspending to try to get to and stay in the Pl caused all sorts of financial problems..

""I honestly do wish that they''d given the whole football club a chance

by just releasing some more money,not putting the club in debt,but i

think to go and put another,whatever was coming into the club was it

60/70/80 million through Sky with all the other bits and pieces,to go

and spend 10/12 million extra on top of the current budget would have

been good for the club. You can be so close and yet so far,i see clubs

like Hull in the last couple of years who got promotion they''ve held

their place in the Premiership and they''ve spent 20 odd million,alright

their not in the best of shape at this moment in time but they had a go

at it and its worked for a couple of years."

where did you find that ?it has to be a wind up

[quote user="City1st"]""I honestly do wish that they''d given the whole football club a chance

by just releasing some more money,not putting the club in debt,but i

think to go and put another,whatever was coming into the club was it

60/70/80 million through Sky with all the other bits and pieces,to go

and spend 10/12 million extra on top of the current budget would have

been good for the club. You can be so close and yet so far,i see clubs

like Hull in the last couple of years who got promotion they''ve held

their place in the Premiership and they''ve spent 20 odd million,alright

their not in the best of shape at this moment in time but they had a go

at it and its worked for a couple of years."where did you find that ?it has to be a wind up[/quote]http://www.dh6.co.uk/s6a1n77p1/Nigel-Worthington.htmlClick on the question you get Worthy''s answers.

It was pretty clear his time was up a good while before he went. He did a good job stabilising the ship and made some inspired signings which got us promoted. He was probably a little found out in the Premiership, but his and the board''s performance on relegation was dismal.

The 4-1 defeat to Burnley, and thunder and lightening which followed was quite apt for his finale.