Sign in to follow this  
Splendid Rush

Team for Tonight

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

[quote user="CDMullins"][quote user="Wishbone"]Notable absentee - Fox. On his way?[/quote]Notable, really?[/quote]

Actually, yes! And Foxy deserves better than being an also ran for the rest of his career. I hope that, like Surman and Barnett, he finds himself a decent Championship placement.

[/quote]
Agreed with the sentiment and that it is ''notable'', especially after he bossed the game against the Timbers, but it is no surprise. The rumours of a Burnley switch have been around for a while. 

[quote user="CDMullins"][quote user="Wishbone"]Notable absentee - Fox. On his way?[/quote]Notable, really?[/quote]

Actually, yes! And Foxy deserves better than being an also ran for the rest of his career. I hope that, like Surman and Barnett, he finds himself a decent Championship placement.

[/quote]
Fox was spotted (and photographed) at Norwich airport heading to Manchester the day Norwich went to Portugal - although could be nothing as I believe he is from that part of the country, it would be strange for a player who had been fairly involved with the Norwich squad to not even travel to Braga.
Hopefully (for Fox''s sake) he gets a new club soon - Burnley had been linked mid July and now have the Charlie Austin money. 

People are very quick to forget how far we''ve come, thanks to the likes of Fox, Barnett, Surman amongst others! Decent players and good characters...just we''ve progressed.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]Would like to have seen RvW and Hooper start together in a 4-4-2 but, hopefully, we''re saving this for Everton.[/quote]
Tried that against Braga and conceded a two goal lead after dominating in the first half - RvW and Hooper just aren''t suited to playing together, too similar in their styles.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="Highland Canary"]Would like to have seen RvW and Hooper start together in a 4-4-2 but, hopefully, we''re saving this for Everton.[/quote]
Tried that against Braga and conceded a two goal lead after dominating in the first half - RvW and Hooper just aren''t suited to playing together, too similar in their styles.
[/quote]
Far too early to come to that conclusion, they only had about four or five days to get to know each other. If that. 

For those of you lucky enough to be at the match, a little bit of commentary would go a long way, who''s playing well, shape etc, where are all those budding Des Lynam''s!

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]

[quote user="The New Boy"]

The rumours of a Burnley switch  have been around for a while. 

[/quote]

A move to Burnley for Fox wouldn''t surprise me given that McCann left (as he was out of contract) Burnley for Wigan this summer.

[/quote]
Would be a good move for him, he''s from that area and Burnley have always tried to get the ball down and play. Hardly a team on the up though. 

[quote user="The New Boy"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="Highland Canary"]Would like to have seen RvW and Hooper start together in a 4-4-2 but, hopefully, we''re saving this for Everton.[/quote]
[/quote]
Far too early to come to that conclusion, they only had about four or five days to get to know each other. If that. 
[/quote]
One or the other would have to drastically change the style they have been playing over the past couple of seasons for them to fit together - neither of them has much (any) experience acting as a link up player. Against Braga they both kept pushing high against the defence, neither wanting to drop deep to get the ball, incredibly easy to defend against. 
Hooper worked well for Celtic alongside target men, but RvW is a long way from being that kind of player.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="The New Boy"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="Highland Canary"]Would like to have seen RvW and Hooper start together in a 4-4-2 but, hopefully, we''re saving this for Everton.[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
One or the other would have to drastically change the style they have been playing over the past couple of seasons for them to fit together - neither of them has much (any) experience acting as a link up player. Against Braga they both kept pushing high against the defence, neither wanting to drop deep to get the ball, incredibly easy to defend against. 
Hooper worked well for Celtic alongside target men, but RvW is a long way from being that kind of player.
[/quote]
You never know how adaptable a player is though. When one of them inevitably makes that #9 spot his own (wouldn''t like to bet, both quality), the other may not have much choice but to change their style.
Rooney has had to go deep to accommodate Van Persie. Hooper himself has said that he can play as a deep striker, and I''ve seen a game were Van Wolfswinkel kept switching with another player and going deep too.
They obviously know that they are going to be in for a huge battle for that number 9 spot but if it comes down to it a player will compromise for minutes. Is a nice situation to be in though, two quality strikers desperate for goals to become the top dog. 
I can remember when Alan Smith was an overhyped average young striker at Leeds before he went to Man Utd and turned into a quality centre midfielder. He broke his leg soon after and was never the same again, but for a year he played his best football in a new position. Dirk Kuyt joined Liverpool as a target man and ended up a right midfielder, still got in the Holland squad. 
I probably see Hooper as the more likely of the two to be effective dropping deep, and Van Wolfswinkel as the least likely to compromise, but I don''t think it is completely out of the question that they could - in time - prove capable of playing together. 

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="Bill Car"]For those of you lucky enough to be at the match, a little bit of commentary would go a long way, who''s playing well, shape etc, where are all those budding Des Lynam''s![/quote]
Doing as good a job as anyone on here could 
[/quote]
Thanks for the link. 

[/quote]I really hope hee gets a great club, would love to see him at one of the lower Prem Clubs. However we have moved on and with midfields of Fer, Howson, BJ, Tettey, Redmond, Pilkington, Snodgrass and Redmond, his admission isnt really notable.

I will actually be quite glad when Fox moves on. He has been an excellent player for us in the past, but we have moved way past his abilities now and his supporters should realise this fact and accept his passing on to pastures new.