Sign in to follow this  
PAUL

Grant Holt departure = bad failing of Hughton

[quote user="TheNewBoy"][quote user="Jimmy Smith"]The thread is a load of rubbish, but i don''t get this "he cost us £400k so it''s a good deal"

I don''t see why previous worth should come into new worth.

Say he''d moved for £1m, that wouldn''t be a good deal would it and yer that would be a 150% profit.

£2.5m is neither good or bad in my book. It''s about right when you consider £25k a week is off the wage bill now and Holty has got the move he wanted.

We have gambled by sacrificing our only striker who knows where the back of a premiership net is and Wigan have gambled that a 32 year old not known for his fine physique may or may not be up for it like he was with us. No doubt they will do well to sell him on for anything decent either.

Now we just need to adequately replace him. Something we have perennially failed to do on many occasions in the past.[/quote]
We would have done well out of £400k and whatever he was paid per week even if we gave him to Wigan for free, he has been a bargain, and Wigan will get enough goals out of him to justify their investment. 
[/quote]

Yep, an outstanding piece of business by Bryan Gunn, the man in charge at the time.

[quote user="Herman "]Co-op''s bananas are crap. Pitch black within a couple of days.[/quote]We bought a melon from Sainsburys which went off after a day.  For shame!

of course the OP has taken into account that Holt wanted to leave and nothing Hughton could do would convince him otherwise.....

The time had come... accept it.

[quote user="QHcanary"]He''s admitted in his radio interview that he wanted to go back north. Given that we''d have received next to nothing for him in a years time, and we have money to get another striker in, I''d say it''s good business.

It''s a shame for the club to lose someone who has given so much, but there''s a right time for everything, and this seems like the best we could have got from the situation, along with respecting Holt''s wishes.[/quote]I''m sure his move could have waited until January when we could have been sure that we had adequate replacements by actually having fully tested them in the Prem arena.  We seem to be putting penny-pinching above good contingency planning. It will certainly not be good business to take 2 million and get relegated by virtue of a goal or two that Holt may have contributed.

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="QHcanary"]He''s admitted in his radio interview that he wanted to go back north. Given that we''d have received next to nothing for him in a years time, and we have money to get another striker in, I''d say it''s good business. It''s a shame for the club to lose someone who has given so much, but there''s a right time for everything, and this seems like the best we could have got from the situation, along with respecting Holt''s wishes.[/quote]

I''m sure his move could have waited until January when we could have been sure that we had adequate replacements by actually having fully tested them in the Prem arena.  We seem to be putting penny-pinching above good contingency planning. It will certainly not be good business to take 2 million and get relegated by virtue of a goal or two that Holt may have contributed.
[/quote]

really.. REALLY!

dear god!

If we had kept Holt till january and we signed better strikers he would be sitting on the bench (Probably gaining weight) whilst his value plummeted. he''d be a free transfer somewhere.

This is great business for the club i''m sorry to say.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="QHcanary"]He''s admitted in his radio interview that he wanted to go back north. Given that we''d have received next to nothing for him in a years time, and we have money to get another striker in, I''d say it''s good business. It''s a shame for the club to lose someone who has given so much, but there''s a right time for everything, and this seems like the best we could have got from the situation, along with respecting Holt''s wishes.[/quote]I''m sure his move could have waited until January when we could have been sure that we had adequate replacements by actually having fully tested them in the Prem arena.  We seem to be putting penny-pinching above good contingency planning. It will certainly not be good business to take 2 million and get relegated by virtue of a goal or two that Holt may have contributed. [/quote]

really.. REALLY!

dear god!

If we had kept Holt till january and we signed better strikers he would be sitting on the bench (Probably gaining weight) whilst his value plummeted. he''d be a free transfer somewhere.

[/quote]Ah OK, so we have better proven strikers now do we ?  hmmmmmm

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="QHcanary"]He''s admitted in his radio interview that he wanted to go back north. Given that we''d have received next to nothing for him in a years time, and we have money to get another striker in, I''d say it''s good business. It''s a shame for the club to lose someone who has given so much, but there''s a right time for everything, and this seems like the best we could have got from the situation, along with respecting Holt''s wishes.[/quote]

I''m sure his move could have waited until January when we could have been sure that we had adequate replacements by actually having fully tested them in the Prem arena.  We seem to be putting penny-pinching above good contingency planning. It will certainly not be good business to take 2 million and get relegated by virtue of a goal or two that Holt may have contributed.
[/quote]

really.. REALLY!

dear god!

[/quote]

Ah OK, so we have better proven strikers now do we ?  hmmmmmm
[/quote]

so we didnt sign Rvw then?

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="paul moy"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="QHcanary"]He''s admitted in his radio interview that he wanted to go back north. Given that we''d have received next to nothing for him in a years time, and we have money to get another striker in, I''d say it''s good business. It''s a shame for the club to lose someone who has given so much, but there''s a right time for everything, and this seems like the best we could have got from the situation, along with respecting Holt''s wishes.[/quote]I''m sure his move could have waited until January when we could have been sure that we had adequate replacements by actually having fully tested them in the Prem arena.  We seem to be putting penny-pinching above good contingency planning. It will certainly not be good business to take 2 million and get relegated by virtue of a goal or two that Holt may have contributed. [/quote]

really.. REALLY!

dear god!

[/quote]Ah OK, so we have better proven strikers now do we ?  hmmmmmm[/quote]

so we didnt sign Rvw then?

[/quote].. and that is exactly where you logic is flawed.  Holt is proven in the Prem, RVW sadly is not. 

[quote user="paul moy"]I''m sure his move could have waited until January when we could have been sure that we had adequate replacements by actually having fully tested them in the Prem arena.  We seem to be putting penny-pinching above good contingency planning. It will certainly not be good business to take 2 million and get relegated by virtue of a goal or two that Holt may have contributed.[/quote]Jeez! Talking about relegation weeks before the season kicks off......And just as the Cody MacDonald campaign comes to an end, the Grant Holt one starts.[:S]Same old, same old...

Is Paul Moy going to bring this up whenever we lose next season?

What''s the current odds?

[quote user="PAUL"]I think the departure of Holt is a massive failing on Hughton, not being able to better the deal - I think Hughton''s position is now untenable. How can he stay when he has let go of not only our best player, but the leading scorer for the last three seasons??[/quote]If our neighbours can sign players without spending money, why can''t we ? It is a massive failure that is why. McNally should go, now. He lets far too many people into the ground, there are no spare seats for anybody - and he has wasted millions paying off debts. Far better to support the players who have been wrongly accused of horse race fixing. Another massive failure, and one that will stop the club from getting promoted this next season.And another failure is not giving the owners the training ground that is....................................... blah blah, binman sh ite ............blah blah.........