Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

PinkUn Scapegoat of the Season award..

[quote user="Rock The Boat"]Although we managed a few results with Bunn in goal, we let in nine goals in five games (including League Cup) -average 1.8 per game- in the unbeaten  run when Bunn took charge between the sticks, compared to seven goals in six games -average 1.12- when Ruddy was in goal. Ruddy''s better average would have seen 1-0 losses and 1-1 draws translate into many more points and kept the confidence up.[/quote]I think that''s a bit harsh. Surely Ruddy is more to blame for getting injured in the first place?

My scapegoat is McNally, who apparently failed to offer Lambert an improved contract after a successful season and the hired an ultra-cautious manager, even paying millions in compensation for his release which could have gone into Lambert''s kitty. Ian Holloway would have been a far better choice from an entertainment and value for money perspective IMO. As it is he may well take Crystal Palace into the Prem while we come the other way.  

Simplistic I know, but I will blame Paul Lambert for feeling so insecure that he felt that he had to defect to Villa. Such were his achievements here in the three years of his tenure, that had he stayed, I feel he would not have received the flack that Chris Hughton is now.

Pauly

I dont think an improved contract would make any difference, as we have said none of us know what was offered.

What we do know was that lambert had itchy feet, you felt he already had the Villa job before the final game of the season (heck even the villa fans knew it) and quite frankly he wanted out anyway.

As for Hughton, Newcastle record does not show ultra cautious manager and a VAST majority were happy with the appointment when it happened. However what has disappointed is his tactics at times but (and not that this helps) we have been so close so many times. If we stay up then I would like to think we will see a very different approach next year.

Holloway would have entertain but we would be long gone by now.

For what it is worth My scapegoat, a lot of officials we had this season, normally I accept these balance themselves out but this year had almost boardered on bent. Even as recent Villa who should have been down to NINE on saturday.

[quote user="step"]Pauly I dont think an improved contract would make any difference, as we have said none of us know what was offered. What we do know was that lambert had itchy feet, you felt he already had the Villa job before the final game of the season (heck even the villa fans knew it) and quite frankly he wanted out anyway. As for Hughton, Newcastle record does not show ultra cautious manager and a VAST majority were happy with the appointment when it happened. However what has disappointed is his tactics at times but (and not that this helps) we have been so close so many times. If we stay up then I would like to think we will see a very different approach next year. Holloway would have entertain but we would be long gone by now. For what it is worth My scapegoat, a lot of officials we had this season, normally I accept these balance themselves out but this year had almost boardered on bent. Even as recent Villa who should have been down to NINE on saturday.[/quote]

Well, I was against his appointment as I saw him as a defensive manager and made my views known at the time. His later record at Birmingham in  the play-offs showed a defensive boring style.

Holloway may or may not have taken us down, as Lambert may have done also, but at least it would have been entertaining as opposed to a slow boring capitulation and refusal to use our squad to its full potential.

Fair enough Paul, Its been too long a season for me to remember those that werent keen on him.

As for entertained, I agree and god have i been bored at times this season, but the brief to Hughton was to make sure we stay up to collect the golden pot at the end of the rainbow.

If we fail to do that then we will see if Mr Mc is good as they say he is.

Good OP Lapps, nicely tongue-in-cheek [:)]That being said, I personally put the blame on our management team, and in particular Hughton.I

don''t look at our ''usual'' first team players and think "You''re just

s**t and keep costing us games", in most cases I think the players we

have are perfectly good players when utilised in their best roles, and

this has been the key issue all season - they haven''t been, or they''ve

not had the necessary support to enable them to do so.Garrido

and Martin/Whittaker should have been let off the leash far more than

they have as supporting our wingers is one of their best assets, but no,

it''s been defend at all costs 90% of the time.We''ve had 2 DM''s

who stuggle to pass more than 5 yards (and that''s barbershop passes

anyway), which is fine if they had another creative midfielder to give

the ball onto when they win it, but instead they''ve had each other or

Howson (who''s also been told to defend 90% of the time).Our

wingers have struggled due to a lack of support from fullbacks, central

midfield and targets to aim for in the centre, leaving them holding onto

the ball for far too long or being forced into playing the ball

backwards instead.Then we''ve had the striker situation with a

lone striker played far too often, despite NONE of our strikers truly

liking or suiting the role, and with the defensive focus across the

whole team, they''ve often been dragged out to the wing leaving no-one

centrally for the to supply the ball to, so again it goes backwards.When

you break it all down into each individual aspect, it''s truly shocking

how badly organised we''ve been for most of the season, and how

mis-managed many of our better players have been by Hughtons'' tactics

and mentality.If we really want a scapegoat, then the buck stops

with the man in charge who made all these sweeping changes to our style

of play and self-belief, which may have saved us a couple of goals over

the season, but destroyed everything else that was good in the process.HUGHTON is the scapegoat, and rightly so IMHO...

Well, his philosopy of a point a game may keep a team up in the Prem.... just...... but a point a game in the Champs has meant relegation. Peterborough went down with 54 from 46 games.  Hughton has to go IMO.