Sign in to follow this  
morty

Racism in football.

Currently a hot topic, mainly due to Sky Sports undercover filming at Millwall.Do we have a problem at Carrow Road? Have you ever heard racist views expressed whilst at a match?For clarity, I am talking about recent times, as pretty much everywhere had a problem 20 or 30 years ago.Would you report someone to a steward if you heard racist comments?

I''ve not heard anything around me when I''ve been at FCR (literally... [:D] ) but if I were to, I''b be straight to the steward. I''d try and film/take a picture of the culprit and dob him right in it. Racism is the lowest form of anything and should be dealt with as such. I despise racists and cannot fathom how little intelligence it must take to be racist. I hope to god everyone who supports Norwich is better than that!

[quote user="Stig"]I''ve not heard anything around me when I''ve been at FCR (literally... [:D] ) but if I were to, I''b be straight to the steward. I''d try and film/take a picture of the culprit and dob him right in it. Racism is the lowest form of anything and should be dealt with as such. I despise racists and cannot fathom how little intelligence it must take to be racist. I hope to god everyone who supports Norwich is better than that![/quote]Thing is, I am sure everyone would say the same.But in reality, a shaven headed, bit lagered up knuckle dragger gobs off in a racist manner, gets ejected from the ground, and is waiting outside for you to thank you profusely for his impending lifetime ban from Carrow road.I don''t think it is for the general public to police this.Stewards are quick enough to stick their noses into much more trivial matters, I really think the onus should be on them to police this.

I am not that rregular at CR of late but in the times I have been,mid 90''s onwards I can say I have never heard any racist comments.

Interesting one for me as is the recent chanting aimed at Bale from the Snakepit not racism? or is it just banter? but had Bale been a different skin colour would the same chant not been considered racist? so why should it be any different beacus Bale is white?

Not being PC just asking the question as to where the line can be drawn!

[quote user="Indy"]

Interesting one for me as is the recent chanting aimed at Bale from the Snakepit not racism? or is it just banter? but had Bale been a different skin colour would the same chant not been considered racist? so why should it be any different beacus Bale is white?

[/quote]The salient point here is that racist behaviour is against the law, and you can be arrested for it.Calling someone a monkey, because he looks a bit like one, isn''t arrestable, as far as I know.

Not heard anything myself but if it''s a 40 year old over-weight bald man with a swastika tattooed on the back of his neck i''m hardly going to tell him to shutup. (agreeing with Morty).Don''t think it''s a big issue for us but there will always be a few idiots. Heck, take this forum for an example - plenty of absolute bellends. But plenty of decent people too. I reckon when you got 26,000 football fans in one place, at least one of them has to be a right dick.

[quote user="Indy"]

[/quote]Obviously, if Bale was black - the chanting would probably be deemed racist even if not intended as such purely based historically on the negative comments aimed toward black people.Good news is, he''s white, and definitely looks like a monkey.

While I''m not the biggest and toughest guy around, I''ve never sat back and let stuff happen just because it would put me in the line of danger. If some knuckle dragger is being a racist tool, I''ll make it my business to shut him up. I might take a smack in the gob, but then that means he probably would too! Just because he looks like a brute, doesn''t give him the right to be able to be racist without fear of better people intervening.

[quote user="hogesar"]Not heard anything myself but if it''s a 40 year old over-weight bald man with a swastika tattooed on the back of his neck i''m hardly going to tell him to shutup. (agreeing with Morty).Don''t think it''s a big issue for us but there will always be a few idiots. Heck, take this forum for an example - plenty of absolute bellends. But plenty of decent people too. I reckon when you got 26,000 football fans in one place, at least one of them has to be a right dick.[/quote]It makes me wonder a bit, if there is any correlation between our apparent lack of problem, and the relatively low immigrant population in Norfolk.I am not defending Millwall, or racist views in any way, but a mate of mine said"Well if you have ever been to Millwall (the place, not the football ground) then you would understand, that sort of behaviour is quite the norm"

[quote user="morty"][quote user="hogesar"]Not heard anything myself but if it''s a 40 year old over-weight bald man with a swastika tattooed on the back of his neck i''m hardly going to tell him to shutup. (agreeing with Morty).Don''t think it''s a big issue for us but there will always be a few idiots. Heck, take this forum for an example - plenty of absolute bellends. But plenty of decent people too. I reckon when you got 26,000 football fans in one place, at least one of them has to be a right dick.[/quote]It makes me wonder a bit, if there is any correlation between our apparent lack of problem, and the relatively low immigrant population in Norfolk.I am not defending Millwall, or racist views in any way, but a mate of mine said"Well if you have ever been to Millwall (the place, not the football ground) then you would understand, that sort of behaviour is quite the norm"[/quote]
Great Yarmouth would like a word with you!

So what your saying is that the law is different if your white or black then? as if Bale had been a different colour even though it''s because some people say he looks like a chimp you wouldn''t chant it?

So that''s hypocrisy as chimps are naturally white / pink in skin colour, so why is that not being racist agains whites?

Again just asking!

[quote user="Stig"][quote user="morty"][quote user="hogesar"]Not heard anything myself but if it''s a 40 year old over-weight bald man with a swastika tattooed on the back of his neck i''m hardly going to tell him to shutup. (agreeing with Morty).Don''t think it''s a big issue for us but there will always be a few idiots. Heck, take this forum for an example - plenty of absolute bellends. But plenty of decent people too. I reckon when you got 26,000 football fans in one place, at least one of them has to be a right dick.[/quote]It makes me wonder a bit, if there is any correlation between our apparent lack of problem, and the relatively low immigrant population in Norfolk.I am not defending Millwall, or racist views in any way, but a mate of mine said"Well if you have ever been to Millwall (the place, not the football ground) then you would understand, that sort of behaviour is quite the norm"[/quote]
Great Yarmouth would like a word with you!
[/quote]Really? I never go there.I should imagine its no London or Leicester though.

[quote user="Indy"]

So what your saying is that the law is different if your white or black then? as if Bale had been a different colour even though it''s because some people say he looks like a chimp you wouldn''t chant it?

So that''s hypocrisy as chimps are naturally white / pink in skin colour, so why is that not being racist agains whites?

Again just asking!

[/quote]Seriously?

Just the way the world works, it''s not deemed racist if you call a white man a monkey. It''s up to Gareth Bale to be offended by being called a chimp (of which he does resemble) just like a majority of black people are offended by being called a chimp. Think of racism as an individual case, not a collective. A black man will be offended if you call him a monkey. I''m sure if you called Gareth Bale a monkey, he would get offended too. You see what I mean?

[quote user="morty"][quote user="hogesar"]Not heard anything myself but if it''s a 40 year old over-weight bald man with a swastika tattooed on the back of his neck i''m hardly going to tell him to shutup. (agreeing with Morty).Don''t think it''s a big issue for us but there will always be a few idiots. Heck, take this forum for an example - plenty of absolute bellends. But plenty of decent people too. I reckon when you got 26,000 football fans in one place, at least one of them has to be a right dick.[/quote]It makes me wonder a bit, if there is any correlation between our apparent lack of problem, and the relatively low immigrant population in Norfolk.I am not defending Millwall, or racist views in any way, but a mate of mine said"Well if you have ever been to Millwall (the place, not the football ground) then you would understand, that sort of behaviour is quite the norm"[/quote]Entirely probable. Who knows. Some are obviously stuck in a mind-set of racist opinions regardless of anything around them. It could also be said though that if you''ve got a high level of immigration in a particular area - take Luton for example. A higher level of immigration means a higher probability of you coming into contact with them - and if it''s in a negative way then that''s going to alter your mindset a bit. Difficult topic to discuss in some ways but you can imagine a struggling white English family in Luton struggling to find a job, a place to live etc and if they see a foreign family living off benefits next door that''s going to change some peoples opinions!****I''m being incredibly simplistic and inaccurate. It''s just to make a point, before anyone rants.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Indy"]

Again just asking!

[/quote]Seriously?[/quote]I know what you''re getting at Indy but there''s years and years of historic racial abuse regarding black people. Including the chant you''re talking about now.

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Indy"]

Again just asking!

[/quote]Seriously?[/quote]I know what you''re getting at Indy but there''s years and years of historic racial abuse regarding black people. Including the chant you''re talking about now.[/quote]I also see what he''s getting at, but there is a very clear line as to what is racist, and what isn''t.Racism is a crime, punishable by law, taking the mickey out of someone isn''t. And long may it be the case, as football has become sanitised too much already.

I know Hogesar, but as I asked where do you draw the line? Hisotry should not really have anything to do with this, I know it does but modern people should be passed this.

So I am saying that Stig is right, about subjective abuse and finding something personally insulting. But football is being branded as racist by the authorities and as far as I know not the individual, so again I ask the question, is it one law for white players and one for black players? or is chanting anything like what was aimed at Bale not considered the same and thus racist?

[quote user="Indy"]

I know Hogesar, but as I asked where do you draw the line? Hisotry should not really have anything to do with this, I know it does but modern people should be passed this.

So I am saying that Stig is right, about subjective abuse and finding something personally insulting. But football is being branded as racist by the authorities and as far as I know not the individual, so again I ask the question, is it one law for white players and one for black players? or is chanting anything like what was aimed at Bale not considered the same and thus racist?

[/quote]You are aware that Gareth Bale is white, aren''t you? And racist legislation is primarily concerned with the historical racial abuse of non white people?This is about racism, not mickey taking.

I think the lines between general abuse and racism have become ever more blurred. Because calling Gareth Bale a chimp is not an attack on his racial background, it can''t be deemed racist, instead it is just general abuse. If he were to be called all the standard welsh slurs then it could be deemed racial abuse... I think?

[quote user="Stig"]I think the lines between general abuse and racism have become ever more blurred. Because calling Gareth Bale a chimp is not an attack on his racial background, it can''t be deemed racist, instead it is just general abuse. If he were to be called all the standard welsh slurs then it could be deemed racial abuse... I think?[/quote]I don''t think they are blurred at all.Racism is about skin colour, there are no laws (as far as I know) governing Xenophobia.

Unfortunately, racism is never that far away.   Human beings are hard wired to question things that are different from themselves as it represents a threat to the pack instinct that we still have.  Most of us rationalise it away and learn to try and accept everybody on their own terms, but it is still difficult to look, act or sound slightly different without it getting a comment or remark - whether its insulting or otherwise.    As a result, I think there is still an undercurrent of racism nearly everywhere you go.    It might not be apparent in day to day living, but it is on a par with bullying,  mob rule and sexism - and it is still there. 

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Stig"]I think the lines between general abuse and racism have become ever more blurred. Because calling Gareth Bale a chimp is not an attack on his racial background, it can''t be deemed racist, instead it is just general abuse. If he were to be called all the standard welsh slurs then it could be deemed racial abuse... I think?[/quote]I don''t think they are blurred at all.Racism is about skin colour, there are no laws (as far as I know) governing Xenophobia.[/quote]
Sorry I didn''t mean literally, I mean under the confines of PC. "But surely that has to be racist as well!" and that kind of stuff. I mean, I think I know the difference, but PC being PC makes it difficult to know when you are being racist and when you''re not. Sometimes. [:P]

If legislation was geared to the human race then all peoples would be covered.

With the exception of an area in Suffolk that is[:D]

[quote user="Stig"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Stig"]I think the lines between general abuse and racism have become ever more blurred. Because calling Gareth Bale a chimp is not an attack on his racial background, it can''t be deemed racist, instead it is just general abuse. If he were to be called all the standard welsh slurs then it could be deemed racial abuse... I think?[/quote]I don''t think they are blurred at all.Racism is about skin colour, there are no laws (as far as I know) governing Xenophobia.[/quote]
Sorry I didn''t mean literally, I mean under the confines of PC. "But surely that has to be racist as well!" and that kind of stuff. I mean, I think I know the difference, but PC being PC makes it difficult to know when you are being racist and when you''re not. Sometimes. [:P]
[/quote]I am not PC lol. And I get bored of pant wetters that cry "ism''s" at the drop of a hat. Having to call a blackboard a chalkboard, that kind of thing. Thats just plain stupid.

Wow Morty, I know Bale is white, but did you know most primates skin colours are white too? So when you say racism is about skin colour that is not strictly true.

I believe that any type of group hatred for any people should not be tollerated under any circumstance, we have such a diverse culture which produces some lovely people from all backgrounds.

But I agree with stig, insulting someone isn''t being racist, no matter what the colour. So the next question and relative to my Bale line is why is it diffenrent if you are white or black? No one has actually given me a real reason for the diffenrence, why should there be a difference and why should Bale or say Tettey react differently if the same chant was aimed at them during a game......please tell me? Going on about history is not an excuse for one law to be different to the next man.

Or am I missing something?

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Stig"]I''ve not heard anything around me when I''ve been at FCR (literally... [:D] ) but if I were to, I''b be straight to the steward. I''d try and film/take a picture of the culprit and dob him right in it. Racism is the lowest form of anything and should be dealt with as such. I despise racists and cannot fathom how little intelligence it must take to be racist. I hope to god everyone who supports Norwich is better than that![/quote]Thing is, I am sure everyone would say the same.But in reality, a shaven headed, bit lagered up knuckle dragger gobs off in a racist manner, gets ejected from the ground, and is waiting outside for you to thank you profusely for his impending lifetime ban from Carrow road.I don''t think it is for the general public to police this.Stewards are quick enough to stick their noses into much more trivial matters, I really think the onus should be on them to police this.[/quote]Not having a go mate but I think you''re stereotyping the racists here Morty.In my experience the racist doesnt necessarily fit the description you''ve given.

[quote user="The Butler"]

If legislation was geared to the human race then all peoples would be covered.

With the exception of an area in Suffolk that is[:D]

[/quote]Racism laws were put in place to protect minorities being abused by majorities though.I take your point though, and definitely about Suffolk.

[quote user="Grant Holts 3 year contract"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Stig"]I''ve not heard anything around me when I''ve been at FCR (literally... [:D] ) but if I were to, I''b be straight to the steward. I''d try and film/take a picture of the culprit and dob him right in it. Racism is the lowest form of anything and should be dealt with as such. I despise racists and cannot fathom how little intelligence it must take to be racist. I hope to god everyone who supports Norwich is better than that![/quote]Thing is, I am sure everyone would say the same.But in reality, a shaven headed, bit lagered up knuckle dragger gobs off in a racist manner, gets ejected from the ground, and is waiting outside for you to thank you profusely for his impending lifetime ban from Carrow road.I don''t think it is for the general public to police this.Stewards are quick enough to stick their noses into much more trivial matters, I really think the onus should be on them to police this.[/quote]Not having a go mate but I think you''re stereotyping the racists here Morty.In my experience the racist doesnt necessarily fit the description you''ve given.[/quote]Of course I don''t believe that every racist is like that, what a daft assumption to make.It was an example to illustrate a point about how much the general public care / want to get involved / should get involved.