Sign in to follow this  
NCFC for life 1993-

Players belief?

I just wanted to get some thoughts on the following: lambert last year instilled such belief in these players that were from the lower leagues, he would have told them they were good enough, and you can see that they gave everything. And played with such more confidence and freedom.

This year there seems to be a big shift from this confidence and ability, the players showed a lot of last season. Now they seem more nervous and very cautious? Anyone with any thoughts on this?

It is difficult to judge as we can only see what is presented to us but I have thought for most of the season that the players seem not to have the belief in what they are being asked to do. There appears to be little or no planning for when they get into the opposition half. We grind to a halt and any movement on or off the ball is so slow.

I fail to see what plan they adopt and it''s more like ''lets hang around a bit and hope something happens or we get a lucky break''

I trust we will survive but I hope that CH will change things next year. He could start by removing Calderwood and Trollope and get some assistants with a decent cv.

Thank goodness CH appears to be a media darling otherwise the Norwich image would be taking a real battering from the so called experts.

I agree getting rid of calderwood and Trollope would be very wise in the summer, they are clearly not upto it, I also start to wonder if calderwood is Holts problem as was the case at Forest, where there clearly had problems. I would however stick with Hughton another season, he just needs better coaches around him, any names?

People in any organisation tend to mirror the beliefs, values and behaviours of their senior leadership team.

Paul Lambert had great personal belief and had his players running through brick walls for the NCFC cause. This season Chris Hughton’s cautious nature has been equally infectious; as a result the players have allowed their confidence to become eroded. No longer do we expect to win more often than not. The very thinking style that helped our players make such magnificent progress over the past three seasons seems to have been exchanged for excessive focus and open praise for whoever we happen to be playing next!

No longer do we put teams to the sword. No longer do we have exciting entertainment.

What we do have is Calderwood and Trollope who to the best of my knowledge have little independent management success apart from their time riding shotgun with Chris Hughton. Maybe our Manager needs to inject some excitement into his leadership team to allow some proper progression to be made in the 2013/4 season?

[quote user="Helsinki canary"]I agree getting rid of calderwood and Trollope would be very wise in the summer, they are clearly not upto it, I also start to wonder if calderwood is Holts problem as was the case at Forest, where there clearly had problems. I would however stick with Hughton another season, he just needs better coaches around him, any names?[/quote]

Quite right! Well said that man.

After all, we all know so much about what they actually do and how good they are at it that we are completely qualified to tell Hughton who he needs in his team.

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]Maybe our Manager needs to inject some excitement into his leadership team to allow some proper progression to be made in the 2013/4 season? [/quote]

Or maybe we should let Hughton time to do things his way and allow for the fact that he inherited a team that couldn''t defend.  Any manager needs time to build things his way.   We are always told this is a results driven business.   Well we don''t get beaten much and we are 9 points clear of the relegation zone, all done on limited means and resources.  That is success in anyone''s books.  If we stay up this season that is a springboard to build more into next season.  In Hughton we have to trust.

[quote user=""]Or maybe we should let Hughton time to do things his way and allow for the fact that he inherited a team that couldn''t defend.  Any manager needs time to build things his way.   [/quote]After 29 games last season we had scored 39 and conceded 46After 29 games this season we have scored 27 and conceded 45Chris Hughton has signed up 4 defenders who are all a step up from last season, so it is surprising the goals against tally is still very high. Especially as we take a far more defensive approach to games this season. I would go as far to say that Chris Hughton''s signings are the most impressive aspect of his management to date.

subliminal messaging of playing technically superior teams week in week out getting through?

our squad is capable of being top half but we have to score the chances we have. Snod and holt missed good ones in teh second half, partly due to belief.

Confidence is a huge thing. We will hold on and survive this season, but we need better in central midfield and up front come the summer. And hoooper is not a good enough option.

Hughton does seem to big up all our opponents to a much more significant extent than Lambert - even those teams in the much vaunted mini-league against whom we presumably need points - I have some sympathy with Zipper''s notion of subliminal messaging.