Sign in to follow this  
dpit

Forest

Bonkers. Just bonkers. Thank goodness we have rational, clear thinking people at the helm.

No matter how often happens, there will still be idiots here that can''t see that, and would rather have some random, foreign money man who doesn''t give a fig about the club.

It''s not just that they don''t give a fig about football it''s that they are completly clueless about how football really works. They think that because they watch Manyoo Chelski etc. on TV that they know how football works. You can throw £20 mill at a championship team to spend on players in one off season but that doesn''t guarantee you promotion over a team that spent 1/10th of that.

Then they think that players from their own leagies are good enough (Abramovich soon learnt that there aren''t many russian players good enough for the EPL). Or they get some guy who played for Indonesia and now earns a living spouting the same gumpf that Hanson, Lawro and Shearer do and think he''ll be the best person to advise them. Imagine if Delia bought in Lawro as Special Advisor of Football? It''s their money they are playing around with but it''s the fan''s club.

Davo

[quote user="morty"]No matter how often happens, there will still be idiots here that can''t see that, and would rather have some random, foreign money man who doesn''t give a fig about the club.[/quote]

I wholeheartedly agree with Morty here!

[quote user="morty"]No matter how often happens, there will still be idiots here that can''t see that, and would rather have some random, foreign money man who doesn''t give a fig about the club.[/quote]You mean like this from yesterday on the Fernandez thread?......[quote user="Wiz"]how much longer do we have to put up with the pin money backing of the Stowmarket two?[/quote][:S]

[quote user="morty"]No matter how often happens, there will still be idiots here that can''t see that, and would rather have some random, foreign money man who doesn''t give a fig about the club.
[/quote]

I''ve always been fairly neutral about D&M''s involvement in NCFC - not a hater, but not obsessed with them. However, her insistance on not letting the club fall in to the hands of outside "hinvestors" - in the face of much ill-informed vitriol - may prove to be her greatest legacy.

I do think NCISA should focus its attentions on an ongoing strategy for acquring shares in the club to prevent takeovers like these.

Feel a bit for Forest as I work in Nottingham.  But football today is so much about the money, it''s good that it''s not all about the money.

Nigel Doughty apparently put around £75m into the club which achieved almost nothing.  Now the new owners are like a textbook warning of the downsides to being the toy of some rich guys with no connection or feeling for the club.

Further to this it always amazes me that some of Evertons fans are so desperate for investment from anywhere, when in reality they have owners who care passionately about the club. They use their resources wisely and they stick with their manager when things have looked bleak.

[quote user="norfolkchance1"]Further to this it always amazes me that some of Evertons fans are so desperate for investment from anywhere, when in reality they have owners who care passionately about the club. They use their resources wisely and they stick with their manager when things have looked bleak.[/quote]

Thought exactly this many times. They seem to want some sort of Hicks and Gillette takeover despite the cautionary tale on their doorstep.

[quote user="a1canary"]

[quote user="norfolkchance1"]Further to this it always amazes me that some of Evertons fans are so desperate for investment from anywhere, when in reality they have owners who care passionately about the club. They use their resources wisely and they stick with their manager when things have looked bleak.[/quote]

Thought exactly this many times. They seem to want some sort of Hicks and Gillette takeover despite the cautionary tale on their doorstep.

[/quote]

Is that because they see themselves as the next Man City or Chelsea? A club that had success in the past but is over shadowed by a bigger ore sucessful city rival?

Davo

[quote user="a1canary"]I do think NCISA should focus its attentions on an ongoing strategy for acquring shares in the club to prevent takeovers like these.[/quote]NCISA no longer exists. I think you mean the Supporters Trust. With D&M holding over 50% of the shares and Foulger also holding a large block, how do you think the ST could influence any sale let alone prevent one?And if the ST did somehow miraculously find itself running the club, who have they in their organisation who has the finances, contacts and knowledge to run a Premier League football club and all it entails?

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="a1canary"]I do think NCISA should focus its attentions on an ongoing strategy for acquring shares in the club to prevent takeovers like these.[/quote]

NCISA no longer exists. I think you mean the Supporters Trust. With D&M holding over 50% of the shares and Foulger also holding a large block, how do you think the ST could influence any sale let alone prevent one?

And if the ST did somehow miraculously find itself running the club, who have they in their organisation who has the finances, contacts and knowledge to run a Premier League football club and all it entails?

[/quote]

Er, how have we got to the supporters trust (whatever name it goes by) running the club?

It has been a recognised tactic of some clubs for supporter groups to come together to acquire shares to prevent takeovers. Not to run the club. Although there are examples where that has been tried too. Whether the practicalities would allow for NCFC fans to acquire enough shares to prevent a takeove i don''t know but i think it''s something the club and fans should think about. I think Delia would be pretty amenable to selling some just for this purpose. The issue of who she and M sells their shares to will come up sooner or later. Just look at the example we''re looking at here in Forest - Nigel Doughty passed away and his estate sold the club to these Kuwaiti''s who''s first year in charge has started dubiously to say the least.

WARNINGS!

[quote user="a1canary"]Just look at the example we''re looking at here in Forest - Nigel Doughty passed away and his estate sold the club to these Kuwaiti''s who''s first year in charge has started dubiously to say the least.[/quote]How do you think a supporters organisation could have stopped the transaction? The only way possible was to buy the majority of the shares and therefore, run the club themselves which was my point.

[quote user="a1canary"]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="a1canary"]I do think NCISA should focus its attentions on an ongoing strategy for acquring shares in the club to prevent takeovers like these.[/quote]

NCISA no longer exists. I think you mean the Supporters Trust. With D&M holding over 50% of the shares and Foulger also holding a large block, how do you think the ST could influence any sale let alone prevent one?

And if the ST did somehow miraculously find itself running the club, who have they in their organisation who has the finances, contacts and knowledge to run a Premier League football club and all it entails?

[/quote]

Er, how have we got to the supporters trust (whatever name it goes by) running the club?

It has been a recognised tactic of some clubs for supporter groups to come together to acquire shares to prevent takeovers. Not to run the club. Although there are examples where that has been tried too. Whether the practicalities would allow for NCFC fans to acquire enough shares to prevent a takeove i don''t know but i think it''s something the club and fans should think about. I think Delia would be pretty amenable to selling some just for this purpose. The issue of who she and M sells their shares to will come up sooner or later. Just look at the example we''re looking at here in Forest - Nigel Doughty passed away and his estate sold the club to these Kuwaiti''s who''s first year in charge has started dubiously to say the least.

WARNINGS!

[/quote]

a1 can you give examples of supporters'' groups preventing takeovers? I can see that it could work, if a group got enough shares to team up with another shareholder with a sizeable stake to block a takeover. But then you wouldn''t have majority ownership, and the norm now, certainly in the top two divisions, is just that. A clear majority of shares in the hands of one person, or a duo, such as Smith and Jones or Gold and Sullivan, or a company. And with good reason; a multi-million pound business needs clear leadership.

There is a solution, which is the PurpleCanary Pipedream (and bound never, never, never to be realised) in which you have majority ownership, as now, but with a supporter-director, elected by the fans and the whole community. This supporter-director would have no more rights than any other director over 99 per cent of business, but would have a golden share veto over a very few heritage issues, such as the club colours, the ground (sale of, lease-back, moving from etc) AND any change of ownership.

I said it was a pipedream.[S][ip][|-)]

Things were going alright for Forest, many were behind the new owners. They appointed a good manager with previous experience at the club (O''Driscoll) and were patient in their goals, and they didn''t spend silly money either. Recently, there''s been a change at a board level and the previous chairman has been replaced by his cousin, who immediately changed the progress they wanted to make this season (promotion was a necessity), sacked their popular (and reasonably successful) manager, appointed an unpopular one, refused to back him in the transfer window and then sacked him when he complained about not having the resources to get them promoted!
It''s a pretty f***ed up situation.  

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]you have majority ownership, as now, but with a supporter-director, elected by the fans and the whole community......[/quote]I''m going to have to insist you name names Purps (one will do), who do you think this director should be?[:^)]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]you have majority ownership, as now, but with a supporter-director, elected by the fans and the whole community......[/quote]

I''m going to have to insist you name names Purps (one will do), who do you think this director should be?[:^)]
[/quote]

Anyone but me, lapps! There you are, there is one name...[;)]

I didn''t say a club has actually blocked a takeover - i said fans of some clubs have bought up shares... in response to a takeover in order to acquire enough (one day!) to prevent it happening again or to have some influence when it happens again.

[quote user="a1canary"]I didn''t say a club has actually blocked a takeover - i said fans of some clubs have bought up shares... in response to a takeover in order to acquire enough (one day!) to prevent it happening again or to have some influence when it happens again.[/quote]
But that''s the point I think purple is trying to make. Unless the fans group has a share holding of greater than 50% they can''t stop any take over. Under stock market rules once someone buys 30% of shares they have to make a bid for all the remaining shares. Now people don''t have to sell at this point however every share holder will receive a bid.
So the only way a supporters group can have any influence is by having a share holding greater than 50% and to all be in agreement 100% of the time when it comes to take over bids. This could be a realistic target at smaller clubs but it''s not very realistic when you are talking about the majority of clubs Championship level and above.
Davo

Mcleish took the job with the understanding that he would have funds to buy players during January transfer window. Every time Mcleish wanted to buy a player, the chairman blocked the move. This happened a few times. Mcleish wanted to sign Burke but the chairman instead of signing him, would only want him on loan. Funny how Burke just scored a couple of goals against Forest last week. Mcleish threatened to walk last week, so this is no surprise at all. It''s their chairman who needs to go before anything can change at Forest. Reminds me of Robert Chase!

Ha ha, you couldn''t make it up.  Apparently Billy Davies is the favourite to replace McLeish.  B*gger, there goes the last outside chance the Binners might get relegated this season.

Billy Davies is the overwhelming favourite to be named Nottingham Forest''s new manager within the next 48 hours, reports BBC Sport.

Davies, who managed Forest between January 2009 and June 2011, twice led the club to the play-offs.