Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

Stadium expansion?

My understanding is that it is not the immediate concerns. PL money then parachute monies will soften the blow, but 4 or 5 years down the line (with another 15 yrs to goon the debt) and us on Championship money we could end up like the paupers down the road where we are farked for a decade or more.

The Main stand is certainly showing it''s age and could do with upgrading. The problem, aside from the cost, is the logistics. Replacing it with a two tier stand would allow for vastly improved dressing rooms and office space, but even with finding some solution to where the ''moved 4000'' go there is the problem of construction access.  Previously other stand rebuiling has been on our own land. the Main stand would certainly require Carrow Road to be closed, or have limited access/usage for some considerable time, and if there is the thought that there maybe the need to build over the road which would open up all manner of problems.

With that in mind, when set against falling demand, you can understand why the club is reluctant to commit itself to what is a fairly unnecessary debt burden and possible open ended losses.  Investment and expenditure now is aimed at the long term development of the club through the acadamy. Stuff that will sustain the club rather than act as a drain on it''s resources. We cannot know what league we will be in, in the next 3, 5 or ten years but we can know that we will be playing football, and that requires footballers - the best we can afford.

Now Mungo has started putting his pennyworth in, I find that actually I agree with him (painful though it is to admit it).   I  went regularly through the sevnties/eighties/and followed closely from afar through the early 90''s - living a long way away.    But from 95 - 2001 it was just difficult to take in how mediocre things had become - and its true that the die hard regulars have a lot to put up with in the barren years - and for that they have my respect.  But it is true that in those hard times people like me are less likely to attend - travelling long distances and spending quite a lot of money - knowing that the game will be dire.   The Worthy era was one where I started attending more  regularly - and the year of the play off final, went to loads of games - and the promotion season.    But ashamed to say that once again the mediocrity that set in after the relegation caused me to go less from  2005 - 2009.  Conversely, it was the relegation to League 1 that fired me up again - it was like the club needed help!! 

My point is that if the club is struggling, being run badly, having poor results, uninspiring manager etc - it is people like me who will attend less.  If I lived in Norwich I would be there every home game - however bad things become.    But human nature combined with finances  will inevitably mean a fall off in demand for seats - in less attractive games and in poor seasons - from casual seat buyers.   Norwich are lucky because we have a great fan base - and more power to the regulars who go to every week - but really, the stadium is big enough for what we need.   The current financial state of the country means people are tightening their purse strings all the time - I know it affects me and will limit me this season more than I would like in which games I can go to.   I may be considered a fairweather supporter - in terms of attendance, not heart - but I would hate the club to go down the route of debt and causing ticket price rises - for a white elephant - a 35,000 seat stadium only filled up once or twice a season.

The club could with a little patience sort out an extra 1000 or so seats in the hotel corner - to me that would be enough.   Like Mungo says - better a full stadium with lots of atmosphere than 3/4 full stadium with empty seats all around.    I have been able to go to the matches I wanted to this season without struggling to get a ticket - so the demand, even now, can''t be that great.  

So you think that the right to be at carrow road is based upon games that you''ve gone to in the past. What a surprise. I''m absolutely in shock that I''m vilified for wanting our club to push on and succeed and you all rally around "I we''re ere'' since 1942" unbelievable. I thank god we have a more ambitious and far less petty board than the guys on here. I refer you to my earlier point when I said the majority of fans outside this forum view it as a joke full of crazy old canary callers.

[quote user="Steady On..."]Here''s a question Once we''ve cleared out debt and are a stable premier league. Lin and we''re getting 70million a year what are we going to spend the money on? Would you prefer it on a stand or in the boards back pocket. The stadium needs to be the beacon for sport in this part of the country Fans like mungo seriously need to go home, years of despair have completely ruined your brain. You don''t dwarfs the success we''ve earnt on the pitch, I don''t care how many crap players you watched, you aren''t special. Small minded complete tool.[/quote]

SO - get real.  The TV money will go where it has always gone - into the bank accounts of players and agents, we are in a Catch 22 situation with that - the more money comes in the more we will have to spend to stand still.  It will not go to the Board aside from if we remain successful, some of it may go to McNally as a bonus for "him" keeping us in the PL.  

Your only hope is that some of the money going to McNally is reward to get a big long term deal done (a la Emirates with Arsenal) with a Sponsor and at the same time another deal with the local authority to overcome the limitations that City 1st has (for once - bravo) so clearly articulated limits the Clubs ability to re-develop the ground sensibly (that is replace the GW Stand). 

I am sure McNally is working on this at the moment and Bowkett''s and his less enthusiastic comments on redevelopment are actually in the knowledge that getting this together is probably not achievable for another 2-3 years.  But I wouldn''t put it past him....

[quote user="Steady On..."]So you think that the right to be at carrow road is based upon games that you''ve gone to in the past. What a surprise. I''m absolutely in shock that I''m vilified for wanting our club to push on and succeed and you all rally around "I we''re ere'' since 1942" unbelievable. I thank god we have a more ambitious and far less petty board than the guys on here. I refer you to my earlier point when I said the majority of fans outside this forum view it as a joke full of crazy old canary callers.[/quote]

And you appear to be a s**t stirring troll. 

[quote user="City1st"]

My understanding is that it is not the immediate concerns. PL money then parachute monies will soften the blow, but 4 or 5 years down the line (with another 15 yrs to goon the debt) and us on Championship money we could end up like the paupers down the road where we are farked for a decade or more.

The Main stand is certainly showing it''s age and could do with upgrading. The problem, aside from the cost, is the logistics. Replacing it with a two tier stand would allow for vastly improved dressing rooms and office space, but even with finding some solution to where the ''moved 4000'' go there is the problem of construction access.  Previously other stand rebuiling has been on our own land. the Main stand would certainly require Carrow Road to be closed, or have limited access/usage for some considerable time, and if there is the thought that there maybe the need to build over the road which would open up all manner of problems.

With that in mind, when set against falling demand, you can understand why the club is reluctant to commit itself to what is a fairly unnecessary debt burden and possible open ended losses.  Investment and expenditure now is aimed at the long term development of the club through the acadamy. Stuff that will sustain the club rather than act as a drain on it''s resources. We cannot know what league we will be in, in the next 3, 5 or ten years but we can know that we will be playing football, and that requires footballers - the best we can afford.

[/quote]I don''t see the issue with Carrow Road being closed, it''s a non-entity of a road nowadays as all of the traffic flows down Koblenz Avenue instead (unless you have the two confused, although the mere suggestion of that will probably incur your usual attempt at belittlement.)  I assumed that the club now owned the road due to the flagrant abuse of traffic laws by the little electric carts that you see taxiing people around on matchdays.  Access to the Holiday Inn is via the other side so no problems there.Anyway, not sure why this debate is even taking place, the board have poo-pooed the idea and as you say the board are investing the squad and academy not in bricks and mortar.  At the moment that is the only viable way of staying in the Prem.

Stay in the lake district and do us all a favour with your views pal. Jesus, what a "hullo neyull"er...

City first would be happy if Norwich were playing on a ploughed field. No ambition and no facts to speak of. Jut bold text, doesn''t make anything you have to say relevant.

[quote user="Steady On..."]Stay in the lake district and do us all a favour with your views pal. Jesus, what a "hullo neyull"er...

City first would be happy if Norwich were playing on a ploughed field. No ambition and no facts to speak of. Jut bold text, doesn''t make anything you have to say relevant.[/quote]

LMAO.   You can give it but you can''t take it.   And you don''t listen when people are talking sense.   Sign of a first class troll.

First reply to the OP on the first page.......[quote user="Steady On..."]Wow why do you guys KEEP banging on about this

Stadium expansion........Stadium expansion is a NON-ISSUE it will happen, when it happens.[/quote]So, why do YOU keep banging on about it?

It''s a non-issue because it is going to happen and relatively soon. Even if many of you agree with someone who would decrease capacity. If we all followed what city first and the like want we''d still be playing at the nest or a field somewhere. Zero ambition and afraid of change. Seen it a million times before, embarrassingly obvious, even from "lala land" or "not the city stand" as I''m going to call it.

Does the club not now own the roadway Carrow Road? I thought that it was "not adopted" since Koblenz Avenue opened. In effect, a private road.

But that''s a complete red herring, the club could own Morrisons car park for all the influence that would have on building a new 20,000 capacity stand that the like of Steady On would like to see whilst turning a blind eye to the dire financial implications. It''s so much easier to make these suggestions when you''re really not that fussed about the club.

Here''s a question for you Steady On - if the footy rollercoaster took us back to League One but catapulted that tlot atthe other end of the A140 to the heady heights of the Premier League would you be tempted to go and see ManYoo, Aresnal and Liverpool down there? Cue igdignation, but I''m guessing you know the real answer don''t you?

Mungo

[quote user="shefcanary"]

[quote user="Steady On..."]Here''s a question Once we''ve cleared out debt and are a stable premier league. Lin and we''re getting 70million a year what are we going to spend the money on? Would you prefer it on a stand or in the boards back pocket. The stadium needs to be the beacon for sport in this part of the country Fans like mungo seriously need to go home, years of despair have completely ruined your brain. You don''t dwarfs the success we''ve earnt on the pitch, I don''t care how many crap players you watched, you aren''t special. Small minded complete tool.[/quote]

SO - get real.  The TV money will go where it has always gone - into the bank accounts of players and agents, we are in a Catch 22 situation with that - the more money comes in the more we will have to spend to stand still.  It will not go to the Board aside from if we remain successful, some of it may go to McNally as a bonus for "him" keeping us in the PL.  

Your only hope is that some of the money going to McNally is reward to get a big long term deal done (a la Emirates with Arsenal) with a Sponsor and at the same time another deal with the local authority to overcome the limitations that City 1st has (for once - bravo) so clearly articulated limits the Clubs ability to re-develop the ground sensibly (that is replace the GW Stand). 

I am sure McNally is working on this at the moment and Bowkett''s and his less enthusiastic comments on redevelopment are actually in the knowledge that getting this together is probably not achievable for another 2-3 years.  But I wouldn''t put it past him....

[/quote]

shef, as far as the first point is concerned, it still worries me that some fans don''t understand this.

As for point two, I am not sure I follow. I cannot imagine how you could possibly double let alone treble the capacity of the GW without it going further back - and so taking over or covering the old Carrow Road - as well as being taller. I don''t think that - ie local authority permission if needed - is the issue at all. It is purely a question of money.

"I don''t see the issue with Carrow Road being closed"

There will be problems though, and if we need to build over it that has further implications as to ''control'' over our stadium.

Turn this on it''s head and have the club stating that they are to build a brand new top class restaurant on top of the MainStand then see what the replies would be were they to further add.

It will not be fully used most of the times it is open

Even when it is open the prices charged will have to drop to attract custom, which will cause similar drops in other catering areas

It will lose money year in year out, a few million in the PL and possibly more if the club is relegated

The club has budgeted (it hopes) for these losses by making cuts to the transfer budget, the wage bill and the acadamy

Whilst other clubs are using their increased TV money to boost their chances of staying in the Premier League, we are setting out to run a loss making restaurant

ps who do you trust ? A board that has dragged us from the depths of League 1 obscurity to PL success whilst clearing the debts on the way, or some slightly retarded forum troll ?

steady on. nil point

I''ve never said I want a restaurant I want a new city stand to boost us to around 35,000 capacity. That''s no an amazingly controversial viewpoint.

I''ve never talked about additional features of the stand, not My concern. And Mongo, you massive mong, where have I said I want a new 20,000 seater stadium dinosaur? And I wouldn''t go and watch Ipswich town if they were playing the Harlem globetrotters let alone any plastic teams do nice try at an insult remedial but you failed as bad as you have all those times you phoned Neil Adams up.

Even if there was a problem with building and carrow road I have the attitude that we overcome that problem. City firsts first thought is "CANCEL EVERYTHING, NO POINT, BLOT ON THE LANDSCAPE, HAS ANYONE SEEN THE PRAWN SANDWICHES?"

afraid of expansion, afraid of change. Obvious!

[quote user="Steady On..."]I''ve never said I want a restaurant I want a new city stand to boost us to around 35,000 capacity. That''s no an amazingly controversial viewpoint.

I''ve never talked about additional features of the stand, not My concern. And Mongo, you massive mong, where have I said I want a new 20,000 seater stadium dinosaur? And I wouldn''t go and watch Ipswich town if they were playing the Harlem globetrotters let alone any plastic teams do nice try at an insult remedial but you failed as bad as you have all those times you phoned Neil Adams up.

Even if there was a problem with building and carrow road I have the attitude that we overcome that problem. City firsts first thought is "CANCEL EVERYTHING, NO POINT, BLOT ON THE LANDSCAPE, HAS ANYONE SEEN THE PRAWN SANDWICHES?"

afraid of expansion, afraid of change. Obvious![/quote]

What part of this do you fail to understand:-"The board have investigated stadium expansion but do not think it is financially viable at the present time".And why do you resort to calling fellow supporters names when they think that the board''s decision is a perfectly reasonable one in the circumstances?If it comes down to either trusting the judgement of  Bowkett and McNally or you, then it''s little wonder that you have no support for your views.

Nice try trying to put me up against McNally and Bowkett. Do you honestly believe I''d not trust them after what they''ve done at the club? Talk about a strawman! Bring on the ancient city questions to "prove" if I''m a fan again please I''d rather have that thanks.

City first calls people names, and has done on multiple threads against multiple users because HE HAS AN AGENDA.

[quote user="Steady On..."]Nice try trying to put me up against McNally and Bowkett. Do you honestly believe I''d not trust them after what they''ve done at the club? Talk about a strawman! Bring on the ancient city questions to "prove" if I''m a fan again please I''d rather have that thanks.

City first calls people names, and has done on multiple threads against multiple users because HE HAS AN AGENDA.[/quote]

The only strawman argument is yours mate. You attempt to characterize anyone who disagree''s with you as laughing stocks from Canary Call. If you''ve got a cogent argument as to why the board are wrong about stadium expansion perhaps you could put into a sensible form of words and we might be able to debate it.

[quote user="Steady On..."]Nice try trying to put me up against McNally and Bowkett. Do you honestly believe I''d not trust them after what they''ve done at the club? Talk about a strawman! Bring on the ancient city questions to "prove" if I''m a fan again please I''d rather have that thanks. City first calls people names, and has done on multiple threads against multiple users because HE HAS AN AGENDA.[/quote]

"Do you honestly believe I''d not trust them after what they''ve done at the club?"

or steady on, elsewhere

"Where has the 30m figure come from?"

"......may be a load of old arse. Along with the locked from the air figures many are quoting as fact."

"And the 30/31 million figure. Maybe mentioned at a prawn sandwich shindig for self-importants. No-one has any idea how accurate that figure is."

"........for 31 million. Figure plucked from nowhere."

Now that might demonstrate a total lack of knowledge about what is happening at our club - whereas the quote below highlights a rather illuminating lack of knowledge about the ground as well (a coincidental trait shared by another troll who doesn''t like our club)

"another tier should be put on the main stand. Funny how your all for a stand over there but not in th city stand eh..

remember .......................by THEIR words ye shall know them

I''ve already said that I made that mistake because YOU KEEP CALLING IT THE MAIN STAND!! seriously! When was it last called the main stand! It''s the 21st century, wake up!

You''ve got nothing to say, no facts, you just want to prove I''m someone else. That''s probably "pinkun standard procedure", anyone that doesn''t agree with the whacky views on here is just isolated and called a binner.

The pinkun is to Norwich city support what westboro baptist church is to Christianity. Hilarious.

Perhaps you would like to take yourself back to Portaloo road.

I don''t want to shove you out, especially since it involves touching you.

I know that you have a jealousy due to our success recently, whilst you rot at the bottom of the chumpionship.

But don''t troll our forums

You''re not even good enough to do that

"quickly! He doesn''t agree with us! Call him a binner!!"

Pinkun standard procedure continues! What a strange little sect you guys are.

And BW''s cat? What a name. Are you the other ones little bitch? The one who says he''s "the binfinder"? Lol what a couple of dweebs, have a look at yourselves.

"Pinkun standard procedure"

Don''t know about that. But I know standard procedure for you oddities is to keep creating accounts, in order to wreak as much havoc on the forum as possible.

You really should leave now, go create a new account and have a "blank slate" to start up your trolling operations once more. Everybody will believe you to be genuine, except for the intelligent among us.

Don''t let the door hit you on the way out. Enjoy league 1.

p.s

Sent you a PM city1st

I guess I''d better do what you "binfinder generals" want

Wouldn''t want to mess with a couple of hard nuts like you guys!

Seriously, couple of proper dweebs. Why has no-one else on this site pointed it out before?

[quote user="Steady On..."]I''ve already said that I made that mistake because YOU KEEP CALLING IT THE MAIN STAND!! seriously! When was it last called the main stand! It''s the 21st century, wake up! You''ve got nothing to say, no facts, you just want to prove I''m someone else. That''s probably "pinkun standard procedure", anyone that doesn''t agree with the whacky views on here is just isolated and called a binner. The pinkun is to Norwich city support what westboro baptist church is to Christianity. Hilarious.[/quote]

"When was it last called the main stand"

More relevant when was the South Stand ever called the Main Stand ?  Any genuine City fan would know it was called the South Stand, and when rebuilt refered to by it''s sponsors name.

But then you are not a City fan, genuine or not. The only person you are fooling is yourself.

If I had to hazard a guess I would say you are wiz, or the same person behind that troll - one who has almost gone to ground since having hsiscover blown wide open on here a little while back. Yep, a few of us have gee''ed you along ... setting you up to trip over yourself, as inevitably you did.

I would like to say nice try, but you have been pretty awful - in fact quite embarrassing at times

3/10