Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

"Three years of relentless success"

I haven''t posted for months, but felt motivated to log on after reading a great thread, and just wanted to second Chops''s long post.

It''s so hard not to compare Hughton to Lambert. Lambert did a quite sensational job here (he''s got ALL the tricks, GP) and had the sense to leave while at his peak - we have virtually no bad memories of his time here and certainly none worth bothering with (apart from the team he picked last year vs Leicester). So it''s immensely tempting after a disappointing result to speculate about what Lambert would have done.

Nevertheless, we must try not to. Hughton is absolutely right to do it his way. His more cautious approach may fail (I have to say I fear it will), but it may not, while trying to be something he''s not will, without doubt, get him and us nowhere.

He''s palpably a decent man. His signings have improved our squad. By all accounts we''ve played all right since Fulham. We need to get behind him.

Agreed Robert. I feel the same. Gutted that Lambert has gone and with him the adventurous and exciting style he imbued the team with. And slightly depressed (perhaps not as much as Chops!) that it''s something we probably won''t see again for some time.

But, I can accept that the new man must be allowed to work to his own agenda and style and that he hasn''t done a lot wrong so far.

If we get a few stylish wins under our belts, we might all feel different! Plus i do have a tiny feeling things might just click in to place in the coming games. It wouldn''t be unlike us to step it up against the tougher competition.

Great thread. I think the majority of City fans (I include myself in this) havent completely gotten over the departure of PL over the summer. I believe he could (and should have) waited for a bigger club. We all knew it was coming eventually but it still took some aback. Even though I feel like that, it doesnt and wont stop me from getting behind the team and CH. Let us not forget that PL came in at arguably our lowest point in 50 odd years and the lift he gave us started in league 1. Who knows whether we would have had the same success had he taken over in the championship- i.e before relegation. It has been said before that PL made mistakes. The lack of cup runs, the giving up against MON and Sunderland and the defensive frailties were all negatives. The ONLY thing that Hughton is missing is the goals. We''re defensively solid (Fulham apart) and we''re still playing with the creativity going forward.  With players like Fox, Tettey, Pilks and Benno coming back I don''t think it''ll be too long before we start banging in the goals.The central defensive partnership of Bassong and Barnett are two majorly big plus points for me. PL was excellent for us, no-one can really deny that. Trust in Hughton and the goals will come!

PL gave us both success match with our reputation for flowing attacking football - it was a joy to watch and wins always make things better.  

He was not afraid to experiment,  recognising the risk of failure,  such as the games with 3 centre backs,  but also recognising quickly when and how to put it right (as an aside imo I do think 3 centre backs and wing backs will become the future model,  as 4231 is at the moment) - his tactical subs worked more often than not.   

His tactical nous ensured we DID comfortably retain our prem league status last season. 

I have confidence in CH taking the club forward - if we can just start scoring

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Well, at least now we''re scoring goals. [<:o)]

Now, about that point regarding "tightening up the defence"...
[/quote]

How about continuing with the second half attacking policy for the rest of the season but with wingers such as Pilks and Bennett.

Lambert took a reasonable team and got them to play the best they could which is why we were so successful under him. Imagine him with a really talented team.

Hughton is a different kettle of fish. His management style is very different to Lambert. As are his methods of motivation.