Sign in to follow this  
Sim086

Rhodes

I''m sort of torn on this one. 8m is a lot of money for a striker who, hasn''t really proved himself above League 1, sure he''s had a good game but I''d want to see a bit more before shelling out that much. There must be better value out there, though to be honest I don''t know who. 8m should really bring in proven top level performers, but then if Fletcher went for 12-14m...

Provided he be considerably cheaper than the figures people are talking about for Rhodes I''d rather we go for Jozy Altidore

If we''d been serious about going for Rhodes wouldn''t the Vaughan deal have been part of the package which would have been done and dusted at the same time? I suppose it''s possible it''s a two-part job that''s being done but that seems a bit of an odd way of doing things to me.

[quote user="Barry Brockes"]If we''d been serious about going for Rhodes wouldn''t the Vaughan deal have been part of the package which would have been done and dusted at the same time? I suppose it''s possible it''s a two-part job that''s being done but that seems a bit of an odd way of doing things to me.[/quote]Maybe Rhodes has a big fat bonus he''ll be entitled to at the end of August[:P]

Huddersfield are today reported to be offering £2M for a new striker. Would they be doing that now they have Vaughan as well as Rhodes? Maybe Rhodes is one his way to Carrow Road.

[quote user="Mahogany"]I''m sort of torn on this one. 8m is a lot of money for a striker who, hasn''t really proved himself above League 1, sure he''s had a good game but I''d want to see a bit more before shelling out that much. There must be better value out there, though to be honest I don''t know who. 8m should really bring in proven top level performers, but then if Fletcher went for 12-14m...

Provided he be considerably cheaper than the figures people are talking about for Rhodes I''d rather we go for Jozy Altidore[/quote].......just about any continental striker of rhodes ability would cost a fraction of the price being quoted for him, meaning we should be looking for a player of greater quality and still pay less. rhodes at £3M would be worth the punt, but nothing more than that.

I would take the figures quoted with a huge pinch of salt, remember the figure being touted round for Snodgrass last summer.

A check with previous City accounts show that the figures bandied about for the likes of Holt, Ruddy, Surnam etc were way out

The transfer fee has very little to do with what the selling club wants, it is about what another club are willing to pay. There is also the fact of players having clauses that allow them to talk to other clubs once a certain amount has been offered, as in Earnshaw with us.

As to what we will pay then I have no concern that we will be ''stiffed'' or pay over the odds. One constant has been other clubs griping about how hard, unfair etc we have been over deals. If there is one thing in our favour it is a board and CEO who are no soft touch.

The major question is are we looking for instant success as with Bassong, Garrido or are we looking more long term as with Butterfield, Bennetts etc ?

[quote user="City1st"]

I would take the figures quoted with a huge pinch of salt, remember the figure being touted round for Snodgrass last summer.

A check with previous City accounts show that the figures bandied about for the likes of Holt, Ruddy, Surnam etc were way out

The transfer fee has very little to do with what the selling club wants, it is about what another club are willing to pay. There is also the fact of players having clauses that allow them to talk to other clubs once a certain amount has been offered, as in Earnshaw with us.

As to what we will pay then I have no concern that we will be ''stiffed'' or pay over the odds. One constant has been other clubs griping about how hard, unfair etc we have been over deals. If there is one thing in our favour it is a board and CEO who are no soft touch.

The major question is are we looking for instant success as with Bassong, Garrido or are we looking more long term as with Butterfield, Bennetts etc ?

[/quote]Yes, I can''t see many people getting the better of McNally.I think Bassong and Garrido and the 2 yr Tetty deal are meant to secure safety for the big payoff seasons from 2013/14. Bennett and Butterfield are more a long term future or ready made replacements should we get relegated and the big boys clear off.Only my opinion of course.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]

[quote user="Just Dan"]

Don''t post to often, but have to admit that I think Rhodes would be a great signing.

[/quote]

He certainly knows where the back of the net is, but he still represents a bit of a gamble for £8m as he''s untested at this level.

[/quote]

Pilks & Benno had only played League one last year and they proved that experience at a level is not needed.

If your good enough, you will find your level, no player will ever improve if they are not given a chance

Pilks and Benno didn''t cost £5m between them, Huddersfield want £8m for Rhodes. Not every player will make that step up and as such I''ll stand by my opinion that £8m represents a massive gamble for a club of our size, that''s not to say that I don''t think think he''s capable.

For some reason i''ve felt for the past few weeks we would sign Jordan Rhodes and Michael Owen, no idea why, its just stuck in my head and refuse''s to leave... at least by Friday night we will know whats what, and can fully focus on the football pitch stuff,.. til January arrives !!!

"Huddersfield want £8m for Rhodes"

So what ?

It''s what another club will pay that counts. If they have said he is for sale then that is an admittance that it is out of their hands, they will have to take what is offered.

ps if, as many other former binners are, he has Jonathan Barnett as his agent I would view anything regarding a transfer fee with absolute disbelief.