Sign in to follow this  
The Great Drinkell

Best overseas purchase

With the exception of Steeno, have we ever had value from an overseas player over a period of time Matty Svensson was always impressive in my eyes but we didn''t have him for long, this also goes for  a couple of the lads who joined us when we were in the premier league under Worthy.  We are now linked with other overseas players and I was just wondering is this a risky strategy?

Dennis Van Wijk did great for us in the 80s. Played in many different positions and I remember him scoring a great goal in a cup replay to help us beat a strong Spurs side that included Hughton! Played in our League Cup win (alright, I know he gave away the pen) and stayed to help win promotion back to the first division the next season. Really likable guy too who had loads of time for the fans.

We have had some absolute shockers brought in from overbroad in recent years. Jonson did alright for us in the Prem though

Following the Olympics?

Was it not clear before that? I''m fairly sure Ireland has been its own Nation for quite a while...

So yeah, Wes.

being sarcastic GP ..... hence saying O''irish.......anyways, still think we need to reforge the British Empire and crush the rebels under the iron fist. Then tell the Scottish no they cant have thier ruddy Frreeeedom.

[quote user="The Great Drinkell"]With the exception of Steeno, have we ever had value from an overseas player over a period of time Matty Svensson was always impressive in my eyes but we didn''t have him for long, this also goes for  a couple of the lads who joined us when we were in the premier league under Worthy.  We are now linked with other overseas players and I was just wondering is this a risky strategy?[/quote]

Not a risky strategy as long as the players are properly scouted - unlike Hamilton who bought players based on videos provided by their agents.

Norwich have never seemed to have a decent european scouting network, hence we have never had much success with overseas players.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="The Great Drinkell"]With the exception of Steeno, have we ever had value from an overseas player over a period of time Matty Svensson was always impressive in my eyes but we didn''t have him for long, this also goes for  a couple of the lads who joined us when we were in the premier league under Worthy.  We are now linked with other overseas players and I was just wondering is this a risky strategy?[/quote]

Not a risky strategy as long as the players are properly scouted - unlike Hamilton who bought players based on videos provided by their agents.

Norwich have never seemed to have a decent european scouting network, hence we have never had much success with overseas players.

[/quote]

A very good that BYG  -

I think the key point the OP was making was -

"have we ever had value from an overseas player over a period of time "

over a period od time, which I presume means more than a season - can''t say many of the names being put up fill that criteria

maybe it reflected the position the club were often in whereby we were just bringing in who was available at the right price to do a certain job (fill in a gap), whereas we now appear to have a club with a much longer term view of things and are bringing in younger players who are looking not only to have the ability to progress their career but to do it at Norwich City

One of the noticably things about the past few seasons has been how the promising players have stayed with us, not moved on to ''better'' things, so although previous overseas players may not have delivered in the long term it was probably not why they were signed

Garrido may be the beginning of the change