Sign in to follow this  
city girl

Glenn Hoddle

Football rumours sit has glen hoddle as a candidate

Sincerely hope not, too long out of the game

Doesnt fit the hungry category in my opinion

I agree - although I don''t get the whole ''too long out of the game'' stuff..It''s not like any of the people who get that phrase used against them have been locked in a cave.

Someone once said Curbishley had been to long out of the game, Hoddle is in the the relics book and is way out of tune with modern football, His views are evidence enought I would sooner have Colin than him

He isn''t actually out of the game...

Working with his academy in Spain, getting youngsters who are released from their clubs a second chance.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

So you want this vile man at City?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sport/football/270194.stm

[/quote]

No, I never said I did. Just he''s not out of the football world.

Also on another point, this whole ''hungry'' term is being used far too much. I can easily justify Hoddle being the right man for the job because he is hungry. Hasn''t had a managers job since 2006, has established his academy in Spain, and wants to have another crack at management, and sees Norwich as a great opportunity to re-build his reputation. There, he is hungry.

The thing about Hoddle is that he has unorthodox ideas.   He is not the most articulate of people and in his effort to get his beliefs across he has used the wrong terminology/language in the past - and upset afew people.     There are all sorts of beliefs out there and some more way out than others, some more harmful, some less.   Hoddle falls into the ''harmless''  category and actually some of his ideas are very good.     The kinds of things that someone with his types of beliefs tries to bring in are ''universal'' ideas - the kind of ideas that unfortunately trigger off the kind of  ''crank'' responses amongst the more cynical. 

The fact remains that he is a successful manager - and he has learnt to express himself more carefully in the last few years.   I think he could do a fantastic job in the premiership - at the right club.   I''m not sure if we''re ready for someone llike him - whether we''d go along with his methods and philosophy.    However, if he did well - and I think he would - we would surely forgive those little idiosyncracies?  

Tin hat on...Would be a great appointment.I think his England team was the last time we looked any good and "his comments" were put in his mouth then forced out of him and taken out of context of his beliefs.Football wise- decent idea for me.

The biggest problem as Glenn Hoddle as a manager is the way he acts within the dressing room. Garry Neville said that the guy is a genius when it comes to football, especially with his knowledge of tactics, but his style of team bonding leaves a lot to be desired. Neville said he had a habit of confusing his squad by blending his beliefs with the football (i.e. bringing in spirit healers to help the tam) and that the dressing room could become affected by it, with players often laughing at him behind his back. 

Hilarious if he''s even being considered....A nutter of the first order.

I think you would find his approach would be a little more circumspect these days, Gareth.    Hoddle was a charismatic player and as such is a charismatic manager.    That is his personality.      If people laugh at him behind his back about his ''ways'' thats ok - as long as he gets the results on the pitch.   Gary Neville was referring to the England set up with all the cliques and egos involved - can just imagine how that would have undermined Hoddle at the time - apart from his well publicised beliefs.

Club football is a different kettle of fish altogether and players will learn alot from him football wise and philosophy wise over the course of a season or two.  Paul Lambert''s philosophy was seemingly one of having a  complete positive attitude -  positive energy.   Hoddle would be the same - although he would go about it rather differently to Lambert.    But, results are results - and Hoddle has a good record as a manager. 

Hoddle has his leftfield ideas, we all do-but we don''t bring them to work (well, usually don''t!) and neither should he have done.

As a footballer, coach and tactician he had few rivals at one time and yes, England did look good, very good under him. But he undermined that and their chances in the 1998 WC with some strange decisions and thinking that must have affected the squad.

If he was to focus 100% on football and get someone alongside him to be the comunicator, the middle man, the good co-as Dixie was here under Mike Walker-then he''d have been an excellent option. But not now and I think he is not interested in a return to club management either, he has a nice niche, good lifestyle and total control of his centre in Spain, can''t see him quitting that for anything else or anyone.

He made his first ever league appearance against us-think he was just 17.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]I''d have Hoddle, with David Icke as his #2.

[/quote]

[quote user="Cluck Nose."]Hilarious if he''s even being considered....

A nutter of the first order.
[/quote]

Comments like this just show ignorance, I''m afraid.   Its the kind of stuff people resort to when something they don''t understand comes along.   How about looking at his footballing record and try to understand his philosophy?   If you''ve learnt anything from the last three years under PL you will have seen how philosophy is one of the most important factors in being successful.     Or perhaps you would prefer a manager who just lays into his players at half time effing and blinding.   "Get out there and get into them you effing useless cnuts"  Yeah, that really works, doesn''t it.

[quote user="lake district canary"]

[quote user="Mister Chops"]I''d have Hoddle, with David Icke as his #2.[/quote]

[quote user="Cluck Nose."]Hilarious if he''s even being considered....A nutter of the first order.[/quote]

Comments like this just show ignorance, I''m afraid.   Its the kind of stuff people resort to when something they don''t understand comes along.   How about looking at his footballing record and try to understand his philosophy?   If you''ve learnt anything from the last three years under PL you will have seen how philosophy is one of the most important factors in being successful.     Or perhaps you would prefer a manager who just lays into his players at half time effing and blinding.   "Get out there and get into them you effing useless cnuts"  Yeah, that really works, doesn''t it.

[/quote]Grow up sonny. He''s yeaterdays man.He''s had is day and blew it big time. A complete nutter who would allow the national media to make us the laughing stock we''d become before Lambert came in and sorted it out.Delia Smith AND Hoddle at the same club? You''ve got to be joking right?

Just pick on the negatives why don''t you, Cluck - oh - I see you do.  Why not try looking  beyond the end of your beak for a change.

[/quote]I''m a realist not a dreamer......It''s high time a few of you started remembering that NCFC is a business and not your best friend.... and Delia Smith is just a businesswoman not a surrogate mother.

I just hope we don''t go back to the Worthington days, If we did I think I would have to invest my season ticket money into a new set of Golf clubs, I never thought I would ever say that. But I kept my S/T when we went down and believed that the good times would return, They have, but the choice of the wronge manager next time will be about the end of it for me,   

The thing about Hoddle is that he has unorthodox ideas.   He is not the most articulate of people and in his effort to get his beliefs across he has used the wrong terminology/language in the past - and upset afew people.     There are all sorts of beliefs out there and some more way out than others, some more harmful, some less.   Hoddle falls into the ''harmless''  category and actually some of his ideas are very good.     The kinds of things that someone with his types of beliefs tries to bring in are ''universal'' ideas - the kind of ideas that unfortunately trigger off the kind of  ''crank'' responses amongst the more cynical. 

The fact remains that he is a successful manager - and he has learnt to express himself more carefully in the last few years.   I think he could do a fantastic job in the premiership - at the right club.   I''m not sure if we''re ready for someone llike him - whether we''d go along with his methods and philosophy.    However, if he did well - and I think he would - we would surely forgive those little idiosyncracies?  

[/quote]

Not if you''re disabled it doesn''t, we actually found it very distressing, had he used Black people instead as an example you''d be screaming for his head...but as its just cripples, who cares?[:|]

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="lake district canary"]

[/quote]

Not if you''re disabled it doesn''t, we actually found it very distressing, had he used Black people instead as an example you''d be screaming for his head...but as its just cripples, who cares?[:|]

[/quote]To be fair Wiz you could''ve rode your bike on the pavement in a previous life[;)]

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="lake district canary"]

The thing about Hoddle is that he has unorthodox ideas.   He is not the most articulate of people and in his effort to get his beliefs across he has used the wrong terminology/language in the past - and upset afew people.     There are all sorts of beliefs out there and some more way out than others, some more harmful, some less.   Hoddle falls into the ''harmless''  category and actually some of his ideas are very good.     The kinds of things that someone with his types of beliefs tries to bring in are ''universal'' ideas - the kind of ideas that unfortunately trigger off the kind of  ''crank'' responses amongst the more cynical.  The fact remains that he is a successful manager - and he has learnt to express himself more carefully in the last few years.   I think he could do a fantastic job in the premiership - at the right club.   I''m not sure if we''re ready for someone llike him - whether we''d go along with his methods and philosophy.    However, if he did well - and I think he would - we would surely forgive those little idiosyncracies?  

[/quote]

[/quote]

Listen First, as I said,    Hoddle isn''t the brightest spark when it come to explaining things he doesn''t really understand.    Talking  football - he''s fine.  Talk religion/beliefs then no.    He was - as someone said - backed into a corner by a clever press man - and explained his beliefs badly.  I don''t disagree there.   I''m not going to make excuses for him - but when you are pursuing/learning about things and you''re in the public eye - you best be sure about what you are saying.  Hoddle fell in to the trap and bang - big story for the press.   He is an honest guy and was trying to answer a question honestly - but he got it wrong.      Its like footballers everywhere (look at Grant Holt!) - falling into media/public relation traps - because they are not that clever dealing with things like that.    Did he apologise for causing offence?    I believe he did, I can''t remember - but should one foolish conversation with a sneaky reporter who knew exactlty what he was doing -  stop him from working in management again?   

Keys and Gray are working,  I believe Ron Atkinson still gets work on radio.   Give him a break, it was over ten years ago.  He is harmless as long as he keeps off the subject of beliefs and sticks to football.   If he wanted to come back into management then being older and wiser he will hopefully have learnt his lesson and keeps his mouth shut about things he doesn''t understand.    Actually, thinking about it, if he''s got any sense he''ll stay away because the media will try to catch him out again - thats for sure.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="lake district canary"]

The thing about Hoddle is that he has unorthodox ideas.   He is not the most articulate of people and in his effort to get his beliefs across he has used the wrong terminology/language in the past - and upset afew people.     There are all sorts of beliefs out there and some more way out than others, some more harmful, some less.   Hoddle falls into the ''harmless''  category and actually some of his ideas are very good.     The kinds of things that someone with his types of beliefs tries to bring in are ''universal'' ideas - the kind of ideas that unfortunately trigger off the kind of  ''crank'' responses amongst the more cynical.  The fact remains that he is a successful manager - and he has learnt to express himself more carefully in the last few years.   I think he could do a fantastic job in the premiership - at the right club.   I''m not sure if we''re ready for someone llike him - whether we''d go along with his methods and philosophy.    However, if he did well - and I think he would - we would surely forgive those little idiosyncracies?  

[/quote]

[/quote]

Listen First, as I said,    Hoddle isn''t the brightest spark when it come to explaining things he doesn''t really understand.    Talking  football - he''s fine.  Talk religion/beliefs then no.    He was - as someone said - backed into a corner by a clever press man - and explained his beliefs badly.  I don''t disagree there.   I''m not going to make excuses for him - but when you are pursuing/learning about things and you''re in the public eye - you best be sure about what you are saying.  Hoddle fell in to the trap and bang - big story for the press.   He is an honest guy and was trying to answer a question honestly - but he got it wrong.      Its like footballers everywhere (look at Grant Holt!) - falling into media/public relation traps - because they are not that clever dealing with things like that.    Did he apologise for causing offence?    I believe he did, I can''t remember - but should one foolish conversation with a sneaky reporter who knew exactlty what he was doing -  stop him from working in management again?   

Keys and Gray are working,  I believe Ron Atkinson still gets work on radio.   Give him a break, it was over ten years ago.  He is harmless as long as he keeps off the subject of beliefs and sticks to football.   If he wanted to come back into management then being older and wiser he will hopefully have learnt his lesson and keeps his mouth shut about things he doesn''t understand.    Actually, thinking about it, if he''s got any sense he''ll stay away because the media will try to catch him out again - thats for sure.

[/quote]It was more than just falling into a trap though wasn''t it.  The FA let him bring a faith healer into the England set-up. At that point, somebody should''ve realised he was suffering from woolly thinking.  Imagine the disabled comments never happen.  Would we all be happy if Hoddle said to McNally I want X,Y and Z persons for my coaching team. Oh and I want Ms W as a faith healer to assist the club doctor. 

[quote user="Mister Chops"]I''d have Hoddle, with David Icke as his #2.[/quote]

[quote user="Cluck Nose."]Hilarious if he''s even being considered....A nutter of the first order.[/quote]

[/quote]Are you really comparing Lambert''s philosophy of "change the team and system, surprise the opposition" to Hoddle''s philosophy of "faith healers, magic stones and pixies sprinking goal dust on the front two"?  Seriously?  I worry about you, LDC.  You seem to be able to post long paragraphs on pretty much any subject without apparently having done any thinking during the typing process.I particularly dislike your "if you don''t like Lambert then you must like "a manager who just lays into his players at

half time effing and blinding.   "Get out there and get into them you

effing useless cnuts"".  Talk about a straw man argument.  Why not go for a nice long walk around the beautiful countryside in your area, and think about what you''re saying before you say it.

"The Pink''un Role Model" wrote:    "It was more than just falling into a trap though wasn''t it.  The FA let him bring a faith healer into the England set-up. At that point, somebody should''ve realised he was suffering from woolly thinking.  Imagine the disabled comments never happen.  Would we all be happy if Hoddle said to McNally I want X,Y and Z persons for my coaching team. Oh and I want Ms W as a faith healer to assist the club doctor. "

Faith healers is something different.   There is anecdotal evidence and a strong body of opinion  that faith healers can have a positive effect.  Its just that the world of football is maybe not ready for this kind of thing.    It seems odd to most of us.  But if you believe in it - its not odd - I''ve seen some strange things happen with this kind of stuff that''s not easily explainable - so who knows?   Maybe not in a football dressing room though.  Mind you, a litlle lady casting positive vibes around the dressing room would be better than having  some of our past managers in there..................... 

"The Pink''un Role Model" wrote:    "It was more than just falling into a trap though wasn''t it.  The FA let him bring a faith healer into the England set-up. At that point, somebody should''ve realised he was suffering from woolly thinking.  Imagine the disabled comments never happen.  Would we all be happy if Hoddle said to McNally I want X,Y and Z persons for my coaching team. Oh and I want Ms W as a faith healer to assist the club doctor. "

Faith healers is something different.   There is anecdotal evidence and a strong body of opinion  that faith healers can have a positive effect.  Its just that the world of football is maybe not ready for this kind of thing.    It seems odd to most of us.  But if you believe in it - its not odd - I''ve seen some strange things happen with this kind of stuff that''s not easily explainable - so who knows?   Maybe not in a football dressing room though.  Mind you, a litlle lady casting positive vibes around the dressing room would be better than having  some of our past managers in there..................... 

[/quote]Sorry you can''t convince me. Nothing personal but it''s all a crock of 5h1t.