Sign in to follow this  
First Wazzock

Martin Atkinson and why our Refs have become a laughing stock

https://twitter.com/#!/calriv97/status/191623129280417792/photo/1

Am I the only person to think it was actually a goal? I thought the worst decision was not sending Cech off for the foul on Adebayor.

[quote user="calriv"]https://twitter.com/#!/calriv97/status/191623129280417792/photo/1 Am I the only person to think it was actually a goal? I thought the worst decision was not sending Cech off for the foul on Adebayor.[/quote]

Wasnt a sending off, advantage played, goal scored, therefore how could you send Cech off for denying a goalscoring opportunity when that opportunity still existed?

[quote user="Stirrinitup"][img]http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/58992000/jpg/_58992810_qpr_ball_over_line.jpg[/img]

Another Atkinson howler QPR vs Stoke.
[/quote]

He along with several others who operate at this level are just not up to the job.

Some of these clowns are on the FIFA list, which is staggering.

[quote user="Stirrinitup"][img]http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/58992000/jpg/_58992810_qpr_ball_over_line.jpg[/img]

[/quote]

This also highlights the comments I made earlier about fitness and/or positioning.

Why was he not in a position near to the goal line so he could make the correct decision?

Is he unfit or just not taking up the right positions to watch for the key issues of the game?

Surely if the referee was smart he would have realised from the intensity of the protests that something was wrong, bought sometime by consulting the linesman by which time the 4th official would have informed them of the video evidence. He could then have done the sensible thing and brought the game back to the crushing foul John Terry had initially committed in order to get the ball anywhere near the line to start with!! If you look at the replay Terry crashes through about 4 players including the goalkeeper to get in his header which led to the scramble.

If he had done this it would ultimately be irrelevant as to whether the ball crossed the line or not.

OTBC

[quote user="First Wazzock AKA Dr Vinyl"]

[/quote]

This also highlights the comments I made earlier about fitness and/or positioning.

Why was he not in a position near to the goal line so he could make the correct decision?

Is he unfit or just not taking up the right positions to watch for the key issues of the game?

[/quote]

I will stick up for Atkinson a little bit with this one, as generally speaking it is not up to the referee to be near the goal line at a corner kick to make the decision, this is the job of the linesman (yes they are linesmen!). The referee''s position at a corner kick is usually in a position to watch for any infringements in the area, normally on the edge of the 18-yard box. 

How the linesman, with only one job at a corner kick, to check whether the ball crosses the line, did not see this is a complete mystery.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Surely if the referee was smart he would have realised from the intensity of the protests that something was wrong, bought sometime by consulting the linesman by which time the 4th official would have informed them of the video evidence. He could then have done the sensible thing and brought the game back to the crushing foul John Terry had initially committed in order to get the ball anywhere near the line to start with!! If you look at the replay Terry crashes through about 4 players including the goalkeeper to get in his header which led to the scramble.

If he had done this it would ultimately be irrelevant as to whether the ball crossed the line or not.

OTBC

[/quote]

Totally agree with that, Terry was guilty of a foul that I am amazed wasn''t given.

Bodies on the line probably stopped the lino seeing clearly, but I think Atkinson awarded the goal which is terribly poor. Even standing where he was Atkinson surely could see that the whole of the ball hadn''t crossed the line.

Bodies on the line probably stopped the lino seeing clearly, but I think Atkinson awarded the goal which is terribly poor. Even standing where he was Atkinson surely could see that the whole of the ball hadn''t crossed the line.

[/quote]

If that was aimed towards me (I think it was lol), I was defending Atkinson for the QPR goal not yesterday.  I agree his decision yesterday was an abomination.  It was a complete guess and he got it wrong.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]They were talking about stuff like this on the beeb live text site this afternoon, and some were mentioning whether they could come up with a ''citing'' panel for cheating/incidents, as they have in the egg-chasing game. Of course it might not alter decisions in the game, but guys like Young who apparently dived and won another pen today, would soon stop if they got bans for it.[/quote]

Some people said he dived and some said he didn''t. I know what I think but who is right?

[/quote]

The whole of the ball hadn''t got near the line.

When Zinedine Zidane headbutted Marco Materazzi in the World Cup final the Ref. and linesman did not see it, yet they came to the correct decision because the fourth official saw the replay in a TV monitor and informed the Ref. This was the story straight after the incident, but later FIFA denied it ever happened. WHY ?  It seems to me the fourth official is severely unoccupied why is he not watching a monitor and helping out the Ref. by talking to him through his headset ?      

I seem to remember from the tv replays that the linesman wasn''t on the by line (for some reason!) and there were 2 or 3 bodies in his direct line of sight to the ''goal''.

There''s no problem with being able to refer to replays and the use of technology in the game - as long as it''s sensibly provided.I know concerns have been raised about players being able to demand replays for every little decision, but if instead of this they used the system from tennis where you get 3 challenges to use, and if you''re right you keep the challenge, if not you lose one. In regards to football, the manager or asst mgr could make this call on the players behalf. This would prevent constant unfair claims and teach players to only really appeal for the right things as otherwise it will cost their team overall (and piss the manager off).

[quote user="Rivvo"]I seem to remember from the tv replays that the linesman wasn''t on the by line (for some reason!) and there were 2 or 3 bodies in his direct line of sight to the ''goal''.[/quote]

The point is though he should''ve been on the goal line as that is where the last line of players were so that is what his job was at the specific time.  You can see from the pic put up from stirrinitup, the only player in his way was the man on the post, and if the lino was standing in his correct position he would have easily seen the ball was far over the line.

Atkinson could not have given that decision without his lino doing his job correctly, just the same as he could not really give Chelsea''s goal on Sunday withouth help from the lino.  Did that QPR goal and the furore that followed affect the referee''s decision making?

This is an excellent article surrounding the various controversies of the weekend, think it is pretty much spot on really:

http://www.football365.com/ref365/7677533/Ref365

[quote user="Rock The Boat"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Agreed Rudolph. But what looks a good idea now may not always be. How long would it be before clubs found a way to use the replay system to their advantage.

[/quote]

Precisely Nutty. If replays are introduced players will be hassling the ref over every single incident demanding that he takes a look at the video. Play will be continually broken up, free-flowing open football will cease to exist. The game will change for the worse.

[/quote]....the replay would be in the t.v. room by the fourth/fifth official so the on pitch ref would not be involved in the outcome.  would it be possible to copy cricket in some way. each team starts with two refferals which they can use on any event they think is against them. if proved wrong they lose one referal so the manager would have to be very careful in the use of them. this way the game will not be continuously interrupted, and once managers get used to the system, likely only to be used for very contentious happenings, like chelseas two offside goals and even tevez being booked against city, which a refferal would have overturned and a penalty awarded against us.

[quote user="star_manic"]each team starts with two refferals which they can use on any event they think is against them. if proved wrong they lose one referal so the manager would have to be very careful in the use of them. this way the game will not be continuously interrupted, and once managers get used to the system, likely only to be used for very contentious happenings.[/quote]Virtually exactly what I put nearly 3 hours before...