Sign in to follow this  
Reggie Strayshun

The most impressive achievement?

Last night I was in a bar chatting about football to a friend (not a Norwich fan), and he was commenting on our recent dash up the leagues. He asked me which of the last 3 seasons was the most impressive achievement;

To avoid meltdown in Lge One and walk promotion at the first attempt.

To win promotion from the Championship at the first time of asking.

To have a first season of comfortable consolidation in the Prem, having never seriously been in danger of relegation.

I have to say that I thought about this for a long time, and cannot honestly say. The Prem is often portrayed as the be all and end all, but there is certainly a case to be answered for turning round what could have been a disastrous situation in Lge One in a matter of weeks. Also , what we did last season on a tight budget was extraordinary.

So what would you all say ?

League one definitely. I will always maintain that for a team to be successful, you need the fans, players and staff all pulling in the same direction and creating a positive environment for the players to go out and perform to the best of their capability.The last two seasons we have ridden that positivity, League one was all about re-energising the club and bucking the downward trend. That will always be Lamberts greatest achievement in my eyes.

The most impressive achievement will be keeping hold of Paul Lambert during the summer!

When Lambert secures Champions League football for us. That will be quite impressive. Or am I getting carried away again?!

Its difficult to quantify the achievement in the different leagues.   Really, it''s one ongoing achievement that shows no signs of slowing down.   Its an upward curve from the moment Paul Lambert arrived,  so I guess you''d have to say that Paul Lambert is the biggest achievement.   To single out any season is like only taking part of the overall picture.  

If you wanted to single out the most important achievement in the sequence of events - that would be the securing of PL''s services in the first place.   Thank you Mr.McNally!

They''re all equally impressive really, almost Roy of the Rovers stuff - just like Lambo''s magical motivational skills in achieving great results home and away v the scum, and away at Col U. If I had to choose one achievement, it would be escaping League One with ease at the first time of asking. It goes without saying that we MUST hang on to Team Lambert.

Agree that it is hard to differentiate between the three in terms of achievement, but I think it has to be staying in the Prem. Surely. I''m sure he will happily tell you the same come the end of the season

As to be the Promotion from the Championship at the first time of asking,Even after a bad start a Championship Team going down to L1 is expected to be close to going back up.And anyteam going from the Championship into the Prem, is expected to have a fighting chance of staying up. Without knocking our season I think we have only stayed up so easily because some teams have been very very poor this season.

But to go from Legaue One winner to Championship 2nd is incredible.

Good question, I wonder what Lambert would say. For me it was the second promotion from the championship. While we deserved our relegation to L2 we were a club playing in the wrong division both in terms of team ability and support and our promotion was expected rightly or wrongly by most fans and pundits. Our promotion from the championship however was achieved with some players bought for L2 in a division which included far fewer poor teams. The prem so far has been brilliant but not completely unexpected, some good additions have been made and we look comfortable here so for me its last seasons achievements which have been lamberts most spectacular.

For me it has to be the Championship promotion.

Winning League One wasn''t too tough a challenge especially after the wheels fell off Leeds and Charlton.

Survival this season has been simplified by the poor performance of the bottom 5.

Coming into the Championship and finishing above the likes of Reading, Cardiff, Swansea, Burnley, Middlesbrough and Nottingham Forest at the first time of asking and having spent very little money was huge.

[quote user="Son Ova Gunn"]

Good question, I wonder what Lambert would say. For me it was the second promotion from the championship. While we deserved our relegation to L2 we were a club playing in the wrong division both in terms of team ability and support and our promotion was expected rightly or wrongly by most fans and pundits. Our promotion from the championship however was achieved with some players bought for L2 in a division which included far fewer poor teams. The prem so far has been brilliant but not completely unexpected, some good additions have been made and we look comfortable here so for me its last seasons achievements which have been lamberts most spectacular.

[/quote]I agree that all being equal the promotion from the championship was the best - However I still believe that if you factor in the state of the club at the start of each season, and the morale amongst the fans, League one was the toughest challenge.Or in Lamberts words - “When I arrived three years ago this club was almost dead — there was hardly a heartbeat."

Championship 2nd place for me, that was a monumental achievement and the best way I could describe this was the number of times I left a ground with no voice due the totally loosing control and screaming hysterically at last gasp winners.

But I have loved every moment of PL’s campaigns and this year has been incredible.

Getting rid of Doomcaster and Mumby.

Getting in Bowkett and McNally.

McNally appointing PL.

Everything else has followed from there.

Thanks for the responses folks.  It seems that I was right to be hesitant in giving an answer, as it seems that everyone else is pretty evenly split on the 3 !

Any more thoughts ?

Excellent thread idea.

I’m going for turning it round so quickly and getting out of League1. We all look at that season with rose-tinted specs as it was a silverware winning one, but a potential second year in that division and the novelty of all those quaint grounds we ticked off in the first season would soon wear off. Promotion was a huge achievement.

I remember sitting in the Nelson with my pre-match pint of hooligan juice and almost choking on it as I saw the team selected for Wycombe. Lambert made a bunch of inspired changes including a start for Korey and the revival had started.