Sign in to follow this  
Buncey

Good on you Aaron.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/apr/02/five-things-premier-league-this-weekend"All good things come to those who wait

What links Peterborough, West Brom, Leeds, Wolves, Huddersfield, Blackpool,

Millwall, Shrewsbury, Gillingham and, after this weekend, MK Dons? They are the

clubs from which Norwich have signed their 10 Premier League goalscorers this

season. It says a lot for Paul Lambert''s recruitment policy (of those 10 only

two – Wes Hoolahan and Grant Holt – were not brought to the club by the Scot)

and his willingness to give players without a big-club pedigree their

chance.

But even by Lambert''s standards Aaron Wilbraham is a recruitment from

left-field. In the office we have an electronic archive system that can search

more or less every edition of every national newspaper in the country over the

past 10 years. Sticking "Aaron Wilbraham" into the search box brings up five

results. He made his professional debut as a teenager with Stockport and went on

to make more than 150 appearances for the Hatters over the next seven years.

Then, after brief spells with Hull, Oldham and Bradford, he headed to Stadium:MK

and made another 150 appearances, all in either the third or fourth tier.

In the first decade of his career he managed double figures only once – in

2000-01 with Stockport - but after a few productive seasons in Milton Keynes,

Lambert took a punt on the then 31-year-old Wilbraham in January 2011. Since

then he has made five league starts for the club and, until Saturday, scored

once.

Lambert seems unlikely to offer Wilbraham a new deal in the summer but turned

down plenty of loan offers last month – "The number of teams that have phoned to

take him on loan has been incredible," he said. "We''ve been inundated with

people wanting him and I can understand why" – and on Saturday the unheralded

journeyman scored his first top-flight goal on his 427th appearance as a

professional, in doing so joining a select list of players who have scored in

every division of the English League football."

Its a fascinating story, really.   A Roy of the Rovers type figure (paralleling Sir Grant) and now a premiership scorer.   Has had to deal with a lot of cr*p from fans - undeservedly - and has answered them back in the best possible way - by proving himself on the pitch.

I hope he gets more chances before the end of the season - and maybe he will be here next season too.   I hope so - because it would mean he is a successful member of the squad and an important cog in the PL machine. 

Living in MK i saw wilby play a few times and he always seemed to perfom better as an atacking midfielder rather than a centre forward.

I have every faith in Lambert but i would like to see him give him a go in this role, I feel we would see the best of him from here and probably some more goals.

so by him scoring TWICE in his canary career as a striker he has answered his critics? Whereas Morison has scored NINE in a season and still gets slated!!! More evidence of how fickle Norwich fans are!! whilst i think Wilby has done ok when used this season i dont think he is a Premiership footballer but fair play to his enrolment into an elite club!!!

His first goal away at Leicester last year was one of the most important goals scored by a Norwich player in our promotion. Leicester away was a turning point in our season and marked the start of our promotion push. If he hadn''t scored that goal and we had not won at Leicester who knows where we would be now.

[quote user="baldyboy"]so by him scoring TWICE in his canary career as a striker he has answered his critics? Whereas Morison has scored NINE in a season and still gets slated!!! More evidence of how fickle Norwich fans are!! whilst i think Wilby has done ok when used this season i dont think he is a Premiership footballer but fair play to his enrolment into an elite club!!!
[/quote]

Sorry to disillusion you and I know what you mean - but Norwich are in the Premiership and like it or not Wilbraham is a premiership footballer.  He looks sharp when he comes on and has now scored - what more does a player have to do?   

[quote user="baldyboy"]as your avatar says I am entitled to my opinion too!!!
[/quote]

Like i said, I know what you mean but it''s not an opinion, its fact - Wilbraham plays for a premiership team and scored on Saturday, therefore he is a bona fide, goal scoring,  premiership player.  [:)]

Judging by twitter and player comments, he''s also a big part of the dressing room spirit. Let''s not underestimate how important this is to our effectiveness.

[quote user="baldyboy"]so by him scoring TWICE in his canary career as a striker he has answered his critics? Whereas Morison has scored NINE in a season and still gets slated!!! More evidence of how fickle Norwich fans are!! whilst i think Wilby has done ok when used this season i dont think he is a Premiership footballer but fair play to his enrolment into an elite club!!!
[/quote]

How many minutes on the pitch this season has Wilbs had compared to Morro??

For the record i have no issues with Morro either, I just happen to like wilbs he lived in the same street as me in MK for a long time

I''m currently waiting for my signed Wilbrahamovic programme from Saturday to arrive. Happy to see he is getting the recognition he deserves. As said above, don''t underestimate what he brings to the dressing room, some people think it''s all down to the quality of players. You can see why he is popular in the dressing room when he replies to a tweet asking what the best part of his game is. He replied: Speed and tricks!

I like his body language, his demeanour and his energy.............and his desire for a Premiership chance

And 2 goals in 5 starts is actually better than 8 goals in 21 starts........

And at 6ft 3in he''s actually taller than Holty and Morro!

Since we''re virtually safe, Morro is distinctly off and Jackson not finding the net...........I say give him his chance, a minimum run of 3 starts.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. 

OTBC

[quote user="lake district canary"]

Its a fascinating story, really.   A Roy of the Rovers type figure (paralleling Sir Grant) and now a premiership scorer.

[/quote]Take it you never read Roy of the Rovers.

Senior career*
YearsTeamApps(Gls)
1955–1983Melchester Rovers245(200)
1983Walford Rovers21(45)
1983–1993Melchester Rovers256(236)
National team
1963–1987England43(52)

And though the last few years have been eventful, I doubt they could top this exciting and tragic period of Melchester''s history...."Roy returned in December 1983 and led an injury-ravaged Rovers to an

unlikely FA Cup win over Walford. They followed up this dramatic FA Cup

win with an equally dramatic European Cup-Winners'' Cup victory on

penalties against Real Santana of Spain in 1985 (Rovers would not

reappear in Europe for another five years due to English clubs being

banned). The following season was an eventful one, as Roy shook up the

team by signing retired players turned TV pundits Bob Wilson and Emlyn Hughes, as well as two members of pop group Spandau Ballet. Rovers won the Milk Cup,

beating Tynecaster 3–0 and set a new league record of 12 consecutive

games without conceding a goal, but in the close season, the club faced

its biggest tragedy ever when a terrorist bomb in Basran killed eight

team members – Noel Baxter, Vic Guthrie, Steve Naylor, Carl Hunt,

Neville Jones, Kenny Logan, Jimmy Slade and Trevor Cassidy. Roy

dedicated Rovers'' 2–1 Littlewoods Cup

Final win over Stambridge City in 1987 to those players. 1987–88 saw

the club become League Champions once again, but they were fighting

relegation in 1988–89 during a season that saw them play most of their

home matches at Wembley Stadium

after massive local subsidence during a match led to Mel Park being

closed for major reconstruction. Rovers avoided relegation with a 3–1

win over Melboro'' in the season''s final match.."

Its probably just me but the thing that has impressed me about him is that he genuinely seems to have improved a lot since he joined the club. He justs seems a yard shaper and faster than when he joined.

[quote user="Jacko"]

Its probably just me but the thing that has impressed me about him is that he genuinely seems to have improved a lot since he joined the club. He justs seems a yard shaper and faster than when he joined.

[/quote]

It''s clear that he is sharper and a handful - and is capable of scoring and not afraid to have a go.   Thats all you can ask from a striker - hope he gets a starting place some time soon.   Deserves it for his patience and putting up with all the barracking from fans.

Been impressed with him this season I think, and it seems he''s popular off the field too so an important squad player for us this year regardless. Hopefully he''ll hit a few more goals before the Summer, then perhaps time for him to move on?

[quote user="Michael Starr"]Been impressed with him this season I think, and it seems he''s popular off the field too so an important squad player for us this year regardless. Hopefully he''ll hit a few more goals before the Summer, then perhaps time for him to move on?[/quote]

Could be, but if he is such an important member of the squad - which by all accounts he is - off the field as well as on,  and he starts scoring more goals, he would be worth keeping on, surely?    You can''t have a squad of 25 first team players - you need your Lappins, Drurys and Wilbrahams who can be relied upon to contribute when needed.