Sign in to follow this  
Buncey

Everton, football and cheating

I have to be honest. I refrained from posting yesterday as I felt perhaps I had let my bitterness go to far, but I woke this morning still fuming over yesterdays events and utterly depressed that I simply could not enjoy another vintage Norwich performance.The Everton team we played yesterday was one of the most spine-less and cynical teams I have ever seen at Carrow Road. Like Paul Lambert, I have a huge amount of respect for David Moyes and the philosophy of football he has brought to Everton. It is also clear that much of his ideas have been used to form this fabulous Norwich team, one that has taken the Premierleague by storm. In short, I was very eager to see a footballing side built on ideals of team-play and respect for the opposition. In the end, as I have been almost throughout this season, I was disgusted by the tidal wave of gamesmanship our boys faced yesterday.How Everton managed to keep 11 players on the pitch is beyond me. Baines somehow contrived to commit at least 4 cynical fouls, one of which was the clearest attempt to play the player in the box I have seen at Carrow Road in a long time. Pienaar cheated his way to "Everton''s" second goal. Only to jeer the Norwich fans in the Barclay and then partake in one of the most disgusting dives to have "graced" football (he later on scythed Bennett down on the touchline and one again escaped punishment.)  It simply amazes me that Everton amassed only 3 bookings after a lengthy pursuit of gamesmanship and cynical fouling that resulted in them totting up 17 fouls; any spectator of yesterday''s game would be well inclined to believe that far more fouls went unpunished. In the end it took seven cynical fouls, by Everton players beaten by their man, before the referees hand was forced. How that hand had to be forced indeed. The worst of the bunch was Jelavic who proceed to punt the ball into the Snakepit to waste time (and somehow avoid punishment) and then sidestep into the rushing Bennett and cluch his face and roll in agony as if Milosevic had bombed his home. Instead of any punishment for the blatant cheat, Mr. Marriner looked on content as Jelavic crawled on the floor, a half-yard from the touch line, in bone-crushing pain from the chilly Norfolk air.Marriner can only blame himself for letting the game fall into such disrepute. One of the most stonewall handballs I have seen (where Hibbert dived arms first towards the on-coming shot) was nonchalantly waved away. The cynical fouling by the Everton players continually went unpunished and I won''t elaborate on the "second goal"; I will say that I am amazed that such an incompetent professional can still be holding a job in the morning.I simply felt sick leaving the ground, and mulling over the continued cheating, disrespect and incompetence that has infected our game. And call me a fool, but I spent the long train journey home reminiscing of those fun and enjoyable days in League 1 where football was actually played and not acted like an American soap opera. I didn''t have long to wallow in those glorious afternoons as I was brought straight back down to earth by the goings-on at Stamford Bridge. In a decision that may ultimately relegate Wigan, the officials once again made a horrendous foul-up and permitted a 2-and-a-half yard offside Ivanovic to find the net. I honestly find that I cannot enjoy "the best league in the world", where it seems that the sensationalism leaves the football a distant second.It appals me that Norwich and Swansea are continually praised for being a "breath of fresh air"; for playing exciting football and; playing as a team and not as ramble of bloated petulant individuals. It disgusts me when sour-faced cretins like Lawrenson can humourlessly dismiss Holt whilst their colleagues wax-lyrical over cheating scum-bags like Jelavic (not the exception, but the rule). All I can be proud of is that our players did not rise to the bait. They acted like professionals once again and played with a passion that has been devoid of the soulless Premierleague for sometime.

Certainly not the most cynical team I have ever seen, but I concurr that Pineaar was a disgrace all afternoon, I counted 5 dives and the Jelavic incident was extremely poor.

Not sure about the handball you refer to, right at the end of the 1st half there was a stonewall handball on the D so not sure if it was in the area, I don''t think that was Hibbert. Baines also should have 3 yellows, one in the 1st half and one right at the end.

The referee was badly at fault for their 2nd goal, though we switched off.

Has Moyes offered an opinion on the above I would be interested to hear it

[quote user="jamesg"]Certainly not the most cynical team I have ever seen, but I concurr that Pineaar was a disgrace all afternoon, I counted 5 dives and the Jelavic incident was extremely poor.

Not sure about the handball you refer to, right at the end of the 1st half there was a stonewall handball on the D so not sure if it was in the area, I don''t think that was Hibbert.[/quote]You are probably right. Heat of the moment and all that.I would only add that it is a sad statement of football these days that a team that should have had two players sent off and committed nearly 20 fouls is not even one of those most cynical you have seen.

Anyone else see Pienaar dive to win a free kick right in front of the Barclay E Block early in the 1st half and then smirk to himself as soon as Marriner''s back was turned?

Totally agree with Stan Collymore''s call to have players punished retrospectively for cheating. Pienaar is a talented player no doubt, it''s a shame that he feels he can be proud of blatant cheating.

Interesting post fellas.  Welcome to the premiership!  

I think it was always going to be like this.  I know alot of people who find this ''promised land'' to be over hyped, over pressurised,  media manipulated and just cynical.

However - it is the top tier of football and it is great to be in amongst it.  What we have done - and hopefully will carry on doing - is buck the trend.  If us and other teams can show a more down to earth approach - and succeed - it will take some of the ground from underneath the feet of the media and super rich clubs.

Imo, the game is crying out for a team to come through and with a more wholesome approach - one that is based on football as a team sport, not as a play thing for those with limitless money who can buy their way to ''success''.   If Man City win this season it will be a victory for money and the mercenary player, not football.   

This is the only way the premiership can reconnect with the fans.   Its the same for England. We see cliques and off field problems from players who appear more interested in themselves than playing for their country. 

Alot of people will think this is an unrealistic aim - but it can happen - but it will need someone of the ilk of  a Brian Clough type manager (PL?) to plough through the cr*p and  win with playing the sport and not the hype.  It was a total focus thing with him - nothing - referee decisions, antics of other players, crowd  - was supposed to deflect the players from their 100% concentration.    Our team are generally very good at this (got caught for the second goal yesterday thtough!) and PL is from the school of Brian Clough and Martin O''Neill - so we are certainly going in this direction. Its the only way clubs like ours is going to achieve the heights.  

A breath of fresh air is what is needed - we have provided that along with Swansea - both clubs need to carry this on into next season now and see if we can''t dispell afew more myths of this overhyped and overmoneyed league.

Everton took full advantage of a weak referee.  Personally I thought we could have been more streetwise too.Russell Martin is very gracious for not overreacting to the studs-first challenge by Baines. Staying down and accentuating the impact of this clear 2nd yellow card offence would have helped assist a dumb referee make the correct decision to send him off.  Don''t surround the ref after a goal. It''s too late then. Get in his face when one of your team mates has been flattened. Ensure he makes the right decision, and it''s on camera that you and your team are furious.  Everton were constantly nagging at the ref - Phil Jagielka, especially. We need to wise-up when the less competent referees come to town. Sad, but true.

While I wouldn''t try to defend Marriner, I wouldn''t blame Everton too much. Yes, Baines was lucky to stay on, but that was the ref''s fault. Yes, they didn''t retreat at free kicks, but neither do any teams. Jelavic was disgraceful but was it really different to Tierney at the Reebok? It''s a cynical, manipulative game and we use the same tricks as everyone else, so I don''t think there''s any moral high ground here.

[quote user="Beauseant"]While I wouldn''t try to defend Marriner, I wouldn''t blame Everton too much. Yes, Baines was lucky to stay on, but that was the ref''s fault. Yes, they didn''t retreat at free kicks, but neither do any teams. Jelavic was disgraceful but was it really different to Tierney at the Reebok? It''s a cynical, manipulative game and we use the same tricks as everyone else, so I don''t think there''s any moral high ground here.[/quote]I thought good on Tierney (and Perch last week). Says it all about where we stand now.I can still remember that brilliant goal by Holt at Yeovil. He smashed through their whole team like skittles. They tried to knock him down but he just kept going and then slammed the ball home. I can''t help but feel that he''d probably just take the freekick 40 yards out now.

[quote user="Fellas"][quote user="Beauseant"]While I wouldn''t try to defend Marriner, I wouldn''t blame Everton too much. Yes, Baines was lucky to stay on, but that was the ref''s fault. Yes, they didn''t retreat at free kicks, but neither do any teams. Jelavic was disgraceful but was it really different to Tierney at the Reebok? It''s a cynical, manipulative game and we use the same tricks as everyone else, so I don''t think there''s any moral high ground here.[/quote]

I thought good on Tierney (and Perch last week). Says it all about where we stand now.

I can still remember that brilliant goal by Holt at Yeovil. He smashed through their whole team like skittles. They tried to knock him down but he just kept going and then slammed the ball home. I can''t help but feel that he''d probably just take the freekick 40 yards out now.
[/quote]

I think you''re right mate. I think we''ve learnt how to play the Premiership game. Not sure I like it, but it''s been necessary.

Great opening post Fellas, written from the heart. I understand where you are coming from. Everton were far more cynical than most of the teams I''ve seen this season. It''s strange that earlier in the season Holty got such a hard time for "falling over easily". At least in those cases there was contact!

I have to say, the more I think about it, the less impressed I become with Everton.

They have received a lot of praise in recent weeks for their performances, so why did they come to Carrow Road and play like that?

All teams have a little ''cheating'' or ''sportsmanship'' or playing for the free kick, most teams have a player or two who gets stuck in a little too much. But Everton players were diving, fouling very aggressively at times.

I didn''t think they were like that, I might expect that from Stoke, but Everton have quality players. Fellini for example, why on earth does he need to be so dirty, he''s always pulling players shirts, pushing them around, kicking legs. Yet goes over in a heartbeat if someone does that to him (A Surman tackle/foul springs to mind, a few mins earlier/after he pushed R.Martin, then pulled his shirt, no foul.). But he''s a great player, apart from that side of his game, i''d love to have him here.

We all know Holt is a physical player, and can make rash challenges, but 99% of his game is just using the best of his attributes and mostly within the rules. He''s the kind of player when your against him you really don''t like him, think he''s dirty, too physical but when he''s on your side you really see the benefit of that. I just think a couple of the Everton players just push that kind of attitude too far, and are basically dirty players.

I''m just glad that the Man City game is being played at the same time as the Everton v Liverpool semi-final next weekend at it would be pretty galling to watch either of them win.............is their a way that they can both be knocked out on the same day?!?!?

Anybody see the Young "penalty"? Just so disappointing (even though I''m not the biggest fan of QPR).

[quote user="Fellas"]Anybody see the Young "penalty"? Just so disappointing (even though I''m not the biggest fan of QPR).
[/quote]

Yep, very skilful player.  Very skilful at cheating too.   No surprise really - like you say, just disappointing.    The ref  takes some blame too for being taken in. 

I get the feeling that every time a player goes down like that (it happens all the time) another few people stop watching football.   

[quote user="Fellas"]I have to be honest. I refrained from posting yesterday as I felt perhaps I had let my bitterness go to far, but I woke this morning still fuming over yesterdays events and utterly depressed that I simply could not enjoy another vintage Norwich performance.

The Everton team we played yesterday was one of the most spine-less and cynical teams I have ever seen at Carrow Road.

Like Paul Lambert, I have a huge amount of respect for David Moyes and the philosophy of football he has brought to Everton. It is also clear that much of his ideas have been used to form this fabulous Norwich team, one that has taken the Premierleague by storm. In short, I was very eager to see a footballing side built on ideals of team-play and respect for the opposition. In the end, as I have been almost throughout this season, I was disgusted by the tidal wave of gamesmanship our boys faced yesterday.

How Everton managed to keep 11 players on the pitch is beyond me. Baines somehow contrived to commit at least 4 cynical fouls, one of which was the clearest attempt to play the player in the box I have seen at Carrow Road in a long time. Pienaar cheated his way to "Everton''s" second goal. Only to jeer the Norwich fans in the Barclay and then partake in one of the most disgusting dives to have "graced" football (he later on scythed Bennett down on the touchline and one again escaped punishment.)  It simply amazes me that Everton amassed only 3 bookings after a lengthy pursuit of gamesmanship and cynical fouling that resulted in them totting up 17 fouls; any spectator of yesterday''s game would be well inclined to believe that far more fouls went unpunished. In the end it took seven cynical fouls, by Everton players beaten by their man, before the referees hand was forced. How that hand had to be forced indeed. The worst of the bunch was Jelavic who proceed to punt the ball into the Snakepit to waste time (and somehow avoid punishment) and then sidestep into the rushing Bennett and cluch his face and roll in agony as if Milosevic had bombed his home. Instead of any punishment for the blatant cheat, Mr. Marriner looked on content as Jelavic crawled on the floor, a half-yard from the touch line, in bone-crushing pain from the chilly Norfolk air.

Marriner can only blame himself for letting the game fall into such disrepute. One of the most stonewall handballs I have seen (where Hibbert dived arms first towards the on-coming shot) was nonchalantly waved away. The cynical fouling by the Everton players continually went unpunished and I won''t elaborate on the "second goal"; I will say that I am amazed that such an incompetent professional can still be holding a job in the morning.

I simply felt sick leaving the ground, and mulling over the continued cheating, disrespect and incompetence that has infected our game. And call me a fool, but I spent the long train journey home reminiscing of those fun and enjoyable days in League 1 where football was actually played and not acted like an American soap opera.

I didn''t have long to wallow in those glorious afternoons as I was brought straight back down to earth by the goings-on at Stamford Bridge. In a decision that may ultimately relegate Wigan, the officials once again made a horrendous foul-up and permitted a 2-and-a-half yard offside Ivanovic to find the net. I honestly find that I cannot enjoy "the best league in the world", where it seems that the sensationalism leaves the football a distant second.

It appals me that Norwich and Swansea are continually praised for being a "breath of fresh air"; for playing exciting football and; playing as a team and not as ramble of bloated petulant individuals. It disgusts me when sour-faced cretins like Lawrenson can humourlessly dismiss Holt whilst their colleagues wax-lyrical over cheating scum-bags like Jelavic (not the exception, but the rule).

All I can be proud of is that our players did not rise to the bait. They acted like professionals once again and played with a passion that has been devoid of the soulless Premierleague for sometime.
[/quote]

You''ve obviously forgotten about Tranmere away[:@]

Sadly whenever big money is involved in anything it will breed cheating.Coming 7th or 14th in the Premier League has nothing to do with pride these days... it just means more money the higher you finish.

[quote user="Beauseant"]While I wouldn''t try to defend Marriner, I wouldn''t blame Everton too much. Yes, Baines was lucky to stay on, but that was the ref''s fault. Yes, they didn''t retreat at free kicks, but neither do any teams. Jelavic was disgraceful but was it really different to Tierney at the Reebok? It''s a cynical, manipulative game and we use the same tricks as everyone else, so I don''t think there''s any moral high ground here.[/quote]

We just need to get a little bit better at it

Great original post. The hand ball at the end of the first half was clearly inside the box and a blatant hand to ball from where I was stood. The obstruction for the goal was a joke and we should have been given a freekick or drop ball. However our players should have played to the whistle. The ref was stood a few metres from both incidents and it was just shocking def cost us the 3 pts.