Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Rider

Historic victory - unfortunately!

Sorry - but YR is always a ''glass half empty'' fellow, that''s just the way I am I suppose.

Today''s result and performance was awesome, I really didn''t expect that at all. Problem is I wish it hadn''t been at Spurs! 

Why - simple, I have said ever since old man Redcap somehow convinced a court to let him off that IF he eventually trudged off to Wembley then PL was the lined up replacement. I was ridiculed at the time with posters queuing up to say which expensive, hyped up foreign manager Tottenham would go for. Fact is that Levy had his fingers burnt with Ramos and won''t make the same mistake. He has kept a damn close check on PL and today Levy has seen (on his own patch) just how good our team is and, by extension, how good PL is.  

Today could be one of those historic moments that are (with the ultimate benefit of hindsight) pivotal in our clubs story. You can look back at the fabulous FCR night v Bayern Munich when we reached a pinnacle. Almost immediately the wheels started to loosen and then fall off. Another pivotal moment was the loan signing of Crouch and Huckerby - from then on we took off. That spell came to a stunning and embarrassing halt in the Craven Cottage humiliation. It was clear then that with the Board having their heads so far stuck in the sand that a long period of bleakness followed for some four years. Last pivotal moment was of course the 7-1 thrashing. Perversely I was''nt totally depressed with that as I knew there was only one way from there and that was up! So it''s proved.    

Of course PL will move on, we just hope it won''t be in a few weeks time. If that does happen in May / June, the NCFC job will be one of the most sought after in British football - fact. He would inherit a damn good squad and great fan base. Problem is the new guy would be on a loser from day one following PL''s footsteps and might well struggle to mantain the momentum and togetherness that PL has developed. I hope I''m wrong of course but today just might be the pinnacle of this period of our history. Looking down from here it''s damn long way to fall!

You might be right and if you are and PL leaves us to go to the Spuds we can only thank him for what he has done, if anyone has earned the right to leave us and move to a ''bigger'' club it is him!However, I don''t think it is as bleak as all that if he did, this time we have McNally and Blowket and the mistakes of the past will not be repeated - no one will get the job because they ''interviewed well''.PL is a God and we can only hope he stays for another year or two.

Just as I have faith in Lambert, I have faith that McNally, Bowkett etc. aren''t blind to the fact he will one day move on, and they will have a succession plan in place with targets already identified.Of course this doesn''t guarantee anything, but I imagine any succession will be handled much better than the "recruitment process" which saw us hire Bryan Hamilton, Peter Grant, Glenn Roeder, Bryan Gunn...

5h1t on a stick, cheer up!  We''ve just played fantastic and won away at Spurs.

It won''t be the pivotal moment you think it will be.  Many more good times yet. 

Blackburn won at Man U.  Do you think he is being lined up as their next manager?[:^)]

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

[/quote]

But don''t cheer up too much and get carried away  [:D]

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

It won''t be the pivotal moment you think it will be.  Many more good times yet. 

Blackburn won at Man U.  Do you think he is being lined up as their next manager?[:^)]

[/quote]

* Kean

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

[/quote]

But don''t cheer up too much and get carried away  [:D]

[/quote]

[Y]

Also, its not a ''given'' that he would want to go.    He has built something special here, hopefully he will want to go further with us before considering any move away.   After all, the upward curve is still going upwards - things at Norwich are developing nicely, he wouldn''t want to walk away from that - unless he felt he didn''t have 100% support from the club/fans.  

"...Of course PL will move on, ..."

Nope. Don''t think he will, for a few years yet anyway.

He has a huge opportunity to take this team, HIS team, as far as it goes. You may not have noticed, but the team ethic in this squad is like no other I''ve ever seen. Can you see Chelsea, Spurs, Man City, Manure, Liverpool players etc. etc. achieving that level of commitment to each other? If he went somewhere else he''d have to start from scratch, with no guaranteeing the same magical result.

He thinks he''s as lucky to be here as we do to have him. His job here is way unfinished, & it''ll be a long time before he considers it worth the risk of moving on.

He might eventually succeed Sir Alex Rednose. But it''ll be a few years yet.

People on this board are hilarious tonight!

Stop worrying about what might happen! We can''t change it.

[quote user="ron obvious"]"...Of course PL will move on, ..."

Nope. Don''t think he will, for a few years yet anyway.

He has a huge opportunity to take this team, HIS team, as far as it goes. You may not have noticed, but the team ethic in this squad is like no other I''ve ever seen.[/quote]I was at Leicester Uni when Martin O''Neill was doing great things with the Foxes, and that''s the best comparison I can see in terms of work rate, team spirit and the meshing together of some largely unfancied players into a great footballing unit.

[quote user="ron obvious"]"...Of course PL will move on, ..." Nope. Don''t think he will, for a few years yet anyway. He has a huge opportunity to take this team, HIS team, as far as it goes. You may not have noticed, but the team ethic in this squad is like no other I''ve ever seen. Can you see Chelsea, Spurs, Man City, Manure, Liverpool players etc. etc. achieving that level of commitment to each other? If he went somewhere else he''d have to start from scratch, with no guaranteeing the same magical result. He thinks he''s as lucky to be here as we do to have him. His job here is way unfinished, & it''ll be a long time before he considers it worth the risk of moving on. He might eventually succeed Sir Alex Rednose. But it''ll be a few years yet.[/quote]

You make some v good points Ron. But he started from scratch here did''nt he (more or less). PL won''t walk out easily or to just ''anyone''. However, if he considers it a natural ''step up'' (which Spurs would be) he ''ll be gone. Remember what happened when City came calling!

Mister Chops wrote:

"I was at Leicester Uni when Martin O''Neill was doing great things with the Foxes"

I was at Leicester Uni too. About 30 years earlier. Frank O''Farrell was manager, David Nish captain & big (well, huge actually) Shilts in goal. Can''t remember much else about them, except Len Glover, tricky winger extraordinaire. Oh & the Bald Eagle. It was all a long time ago.

They had a cracking team a few years later mind; Weller, Sammels, Birchenall, & the totally brilliant Frank Worthington. Happy days.

As long as we have McNally in charge then we''re in safe hands and we can be happy! Even better with Lambert! He has at least one more season in him here, Europe next year! Happy days.