Sign in to follow this  
CanaryDodge84

Excited about Ryan Bennett - Quality defender!

After reading the article on the Pinkun today regarding Bennett and Darren Ferguson''s views on him I decided to read up about him on the "Interweb".  10 years at Scum as a youth player, went to Grimsby and became captain at 17, got a move to Peterborough for around £500k and then we signed him.  Looking at the Posh forums and reading about him they are gutted he is going and it would appear we have a really solid, quick, professional, mature centre half who is still only 21 years old and in the England U-21''s team! 

Looks like another very shrewd Lambert buy and think you can safely say he is going to be one who will cement a centre back spot for good.  posh fans seems to think he will not suffer at Prem level at all.  They can''t speak highly enough of him. 

Well done Lambo, can''t wait to see him in action!  A centre back partnership of Bennett and Whitbread looks really solid!  Let''s hope he can forfill all his potential and become a fully-fledged England international! 

Come on City!

I seem to remember Lambert''s red herring about the well containing this type of player being dry.

Somehow I don''t think Ryan Bennett will be the last.

Looks a very good young signing with a lot of potential. Whether he was bought to play with Ayala in the future or as a replacement to whitbread or Ayala is unknown but seems a very good young talent

Sounds like a great signing - can''t remember being so happy with our overall squad - so easy to forget how many good players we''ve got when you also look at the injuries list etc. A team to be proud of I reckon.

[quote user="Skerritt"]Looks a very good young signing with a lot of potential. Whether he was bought to play with Ayala in the future or as a replacement to whitbread or Ayala is unknown but seems a very good young talent[/quote]

I don''t think he''s either. It''s very much a squad game these days and, as we''ve seen this season you need at least four quality centre backs. I rather suspect that Barnett will be sold in the summer but then it will be a question of form and fitness.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[quote user="Skerritt"]Looks a very good young signing with a lot of potential. Whether he was bought to play with Ayala in the future or as a replacement to whitbread or Ayala is unknown but seems a very good young talent[/quote]

I don''t think he''s either. It''s very much a squad game these days and, as we''ve seen this season you need at least four quality centre backs. I rather suspect that Barnett will be sold in the summer but then it will be a question of form and fitness.

[/quote]I agree with this 100%. i expect this to be barnett''s last season with us, leaving us with Ward, Whitbred, Bennet, Ayala and R Martin to fill in, perhaps there is room for another CB but we have 3 prem level CB in that list in my eyes and 1 who can do a job when called upon (Ward).

Quality of the squad shows when you put down any starting XI you might like to see...fior example,

Ruddy-Naughton-Bennett R-Whitbread-Tierney-Fox-Bennett E-Howson-Pilkington-Jackson-Holt

...then see who isn''t in the team- Rudd/Steer,Martin, Ward, Ayala, Drury, Crofts, Johnson, Surman, Hoolahan, Morison, Vaughan...another team almost and one that wouldn''t be that bad! Can''t think how long its been since you look at the players who wouldn''t be in a team, any team-and think, bloody hell, we''ve got a half decent squad here!

Lapps and Wilby as well, Smith to come back, ditto Adeyemi, Leon...none too shabby...

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I seem to remember Lambert''s red herring about the well containing this type of player being dry.

Somehow I don''t think Ryan Bennett will be the last.

[/quote]

I had to have a chuckle myself when I saw that little gem by Sir Paul . Who does he think he''s trying to kid ? All the top players have to start somewhere, and there''s never going to be any shortage of hungry young wannabees . It''s purely down to whether they''ve got the desire to succceed, and, perhaps as pertinently, someone being on hand to coach that desire in the right way . In fairness PL does not have a monopoly in that department, but his record thus far tends to suggest that he''s one of the best exponents of it.

Interestingly, of all the options for building a squad, it may just be one of the cheapest. A lot of clubs boast about developing their own youngsters, but, in fact that is by no means a cut-price option, with running an academy pretty costly. And look at the drop-out rate...ie those who never quite make it. Another alternative is to buy the finished article in, but that too is not cheap. So PL''s method of letting others do the donkey work, then , in effect running a sort of "finishing school" looks pretty shrewd business acumen to me.