Sign in to follow this  
norfolkchance1

Schoolboy error QPR

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/QPR-exclusive-Big-name-signings-contracts-do-not-include-relegation-clauses-that-automatically-cut-wages-from-rates-as-high-as-80k-per-week-article877614.html

Was going to post it in other thread but thought it deserved a title of its own as that was mainly concerning that TV documentary.

Quite extraordinary with all the examples there have been in the recent past that they have done this. Love the way that the article suggests that ourselves and Swansea have been smarter and also may explain why some of our performances have shown such hunger to do well.

[quote user="norfolkchance1"]http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/QPR-exclusive-Big-name-signings-contracts-do-not-include-relegation-clauses-that-automatically-cut-wages-from-rates-as-high-as-80k-per-week-article877614.html Was going to post it in other thread but thought it deserved a title of its own as that was mainly concerning that TV documentary. Quite extraordinary with all the examples there have been in the recent past that they have done this. Love the way that the article suggests that ourselves and Swansea have been smarter and also may explain why some of our performances have shown such hunger to do well.[/quote]

The players being quoted as the examples are, I think, those signed after Fernandes took over, by which time the season had started, and the end of the transfer window was looming. Barton signed on August 26 and Ferdinand and Wright-Phillips on August 31. In other words, the change of ownership happening when it did meant QPR had got themselves into a lousy bargaining position. I suspect they knew these contracts weren''t a good idea but had to agree to them, because otherwise the players wouldn''t have joined.

[quote user="norfolkchance1"]http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/QPR-exclusive-Big-name-signings-contracts-do-not-include-relegation-clauses-that-automatically-cut-wages-from-rates-as-high-as-80k-per-week-article877614.html Was going to post it in other thread but thought it deserved a title of its own as that was mainly concerning that TV documentary. Quite extraordinary with all the examples there have been in the recent past that they have done this. Love the way that the article suggests that ourselves and Swansea have been smarter and also may explain why some of our performances have shown such hunger to do well.[/quote]

I don''t think it is as bad as the Mirror is trying to make out - several Prem clubs have been relegated without these clauses in the player''s contracts and QPR would probably have to sell on people such as SWP, Barton and Zamora either way. I know a couple of the transfers were initially loans with an eye to a full transfer if relegation was avoided so there has been some caution taken there.

Parachute payments are now larger than ever so the need to reduce wages quickly is less pressing for relegated clubs.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

The players being quoted as the examples are, I think, those signed after Fernandes took over, by which time the season had started, and the end of the transfer window was looming. Barton signed on August 26 and Ferdinand and Wright-Phillips on August 31. In other words, the change of ownership happening when it did meant QPR had got themselves into a lousy bargaining position. I suspect they knew these contracts weren''t a good idea but had to agree to them, because otherwise the players wouldn''t have joined.

[/quote]

Just to add that if the players signed earlier on, pre-Fernandes, when there was less time pressure, do have a relegation pay-cut clause in their contracts then that is hardly likely to foster dressing-room harmony.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

I don''t think it is as bad as the Mirror is trying to make out - several Prem clubs have been relegated without these clauses in the player''s contracts and QPR would probably have to sell on people such as SWP, Barton and Zamora either way. I know a couple of the transfers were initially loans with an eye to a full transfer if relegation was avoided so there has been some caution taken there.

Parachute payments are now larger than ever so the need to reduce wages quickly is less pressing for relegated clubs.

[/quote]

But you can only sell them if they want to go, Bethnal. They might decide to sit out their highly-paid contracts in the Championship.

[quote user="norfolkchance1"]http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/QPR-exclusive-Big-name-signings-contracts-do-not-include-relegation-clauses-that-automatically-cut-wages-from-rates-as-high-as-80k-per-week-article877614.html Was going to post it in other thread but thought it deserved a title of its own as that was mainly concerning that TV documentary. Quite extraordinary with all the examples there have been in the recent past that they have done this. Love the way that the article suggests that ourselves and Swansea have been smarter and also may explain why some of our performances have shown such hunger to do well.[/quote]......i think it is worth putting into perspective. you have a squad of 25 in the premiership, if your average wage for these players is just £10,000 this equates to £250,000 p.w. and £13 million per year. how are some of these teams paying siiy money surviving?

I understand that it has been reported in one of the national papers that Birmingham may find their wage bill too much next season if they dont get promoted this season.

They have managed to offload some players this season, e.g., Johnson, Danns, Jerome, Larsson, Gardner 

two more schoolboy errors from QPR;1) Appointing Mark Hughes as manager.2) Making Mark Hughes the thirteenth best paid football manager in the World. (Could be as high as 4th best paid if he keeps QPR up due to extra £1m bonus).

Proof that throwing money at the problem isn''t always the solution. Just think of the progress they could have made with those finances if they had even followed half of the ethos that Lambert has in place? Such a waste. As others have said it could be seriously damaging to the future of the club if these players cannot be offloaded. Cant say im particularly worried though, a bunch of mercenaries right from board level through to the playing staff.

I really do hope they go down I have to say as they really do make themselves so hard too like. The whole Joey Barton and Neil Warnock thing when we played them made me dislike them even more and lets face it Hughes can be a twat if he wants (Him not shaking Martin Jols hand the other week a prime example). I just think the way ourselves and Swansea has been the right way to do things getting good young hungry players in and not even on massive wages. Whereas they have players on high wages and its not as if most of these players are any good most of them are just very average has been players who are probably just there for a nice big pay day. People like Anton Ferdinand, Onouha, Cisse etc. While Barton is a good player, the game against us displayed what a immature little shit he is and Bobby Zamora appears to be the biggest fool in West London leaving a bigger and more stable club to probably now play in the championship next season and kill off any chance he had of playing for England all for a bit more money

Throwing money at the problem is often the only recourse when the problem is players not wanting to join your club.One of the things that has been noticable for us is the way that not only have we been able to attract (and develop) previously unknown talent but we have been able to bring in players like Pilkington. Howson and Bennett for whom the step up was inevitable. More so when Ryan Bennett was already heading for Swansea (literally) wehn we brought him to Carrow Road.If the club doesn''t look stable and well run then it''s fairly likely that to those on the inside (agents/players etc) it is probably in a far worse state. Meaning you are in a far worse bargaining position and so have to take what is available, and agents and players know it.Shan''t miss them if they go down,

I think that it is very likely that QPR will find it difficult to get rid of some of the star names if they are relegated. QPR largely managed to lure the likes of Barton ans SWP by paying "over the odds" - otherwise a move to a newly promoted team would not have been attractive.

It was public knowledge that the two players quoted, for example, were "available" and the fact that they did not go elsewhere suggests that they had some pretty stiff wage demands.

It is unlikely that other clubs will be queuing up to pay them similar contracts. In which case they might happily sit out big contracts in the Championship like Jimmy Bullard and Kevin Nolan.