Sign in to follow this  
GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

Forget about this tonight....team for Bolton (h)

We were 11 points above the regelation zone before tonight and still are after it, so no damage done......but............Bolton (h)

Tierney back in at left back please......we are missing a natural overlap down the left with first time crosses whipped in.

Fox must come back in to make the side tick

"if" Vaughan is ready lets start with a bit of pace up front

Tonight was the final confirmation that I needed that Crofts isnt quite up to this level.......get well soon Johnny Howson

Yep, agree with all points. Crofts is decent Champs but that''s his level.

We really missed Fox tonight. Cant understand why Lambert didn''t bring him on.

Doubt Vaughan will be fit for Sat, but I''d like to see Jackson start again. He''s been doing well recently - again, surprised we didn''t see him tonight.

I think its a difficult one to pick. Was thinking during the match that the best football Norwich have played this season in my opinion has been in the earlier games, where we played Bennett and Pilkington out on the flanks. The Stoke game comes to mind where I thought we played some fantastic football at times and both wingers looked class. With Bolton down there I would certainly return to a 4-5-1 formation with:

Ruddy

Naughton Ayala Whitbread Tierney (or Drury)

Bennett Fox Johnson Pilkington

Hoolahan

Morrison

However if Vaughan is fit, and Lambo thinks he can play a match without risking further injury then I would be tempted to throw him in instead of Hoolahan.

For me I''d stick with diamond at home.RuddyNaughton   Ayala   Whitbread   Tierney/Drury    FoxBennett   Surman   PilkingtonHolt    Jackson

Yep the game is over, nothing you can do. If you win you move on to the next game if you lose you do the same.

We certainly have had a showing up tonight and hence reality check has probably come back to the boys.

I think changes will be made and I think it could be quite a little shake up in the midfield, I don''t think the diamond is going to be appropriate for Bolton, I think we stretch them out with wide players and that we start with Jackson only so we have pace behind the back four. I am a big fan of Morison but maybe we can try and have a dramatic change to kick ourselves on. But also to really surprise Bolton.

Ruddy

Martin, Ayala, Whitbread, Naughton

EB, Fox, Johnson, Pilkington

Holt, Jackson

Still I could put him in for Jackson but I believe we need to come out all guns blazing, no excuse for a slow start and pace upfront can stretch this defence.

At the back, I would rather Naughton and EB had their partenrship down the right but if Tierney is not fit then this will have to do.

For me however it has to be a 4-4-2 with grit in the middle and width with plenty of energy and ability out wide.

Bring on Saturday

I guess PL will be looking at his players for a reaction in training and pick accordingly.

Three thoughts on the team: Russ Martin needs a rest; Fox starts - we play best when he is in the side and Morison gets benched.

I''d go with the following -

Ruddy

Naughton  Whitbread  Ayala  Tierney

Bennett  Fox  ?   Pilkington

Holt    Jackson

Subs  Steer, Martin, Drury, Surman, Vaughan, Wilbraham, Morison

I didn''t see the game tonight but from what I have read I think we need a shake up. Fox needs to come in, we need some width and some pace alongside Holt. I don''t think there''s too much wrong with our defence. Ayala has done well up to tonight so I wouldn''t support any knee-jerk reaction to change the central defensive partnership. In any case I can''t see either Barnett or Ward being an improvement. I think Tierney should come back and Naughton switched to the right. The only puzzle I have is, who partners Fox in central midfield, as Johnson and Crofts don''t seem convincing or good enough at the moment. Its a shame Howson isn''t ready yet.     

Nobody seems to have noticed it,but the last few games Bennett has come on,he had been lively and ready to assist the front two. Morison looked tired,as did Crofts and Surman. Ayala was terrible,and Martin was shattered by the looks of it. My team Ruddy NaughtonR MartinWhitbreadTierneyBennettFoxSurmanHoolahanHoltJackson

Fox was truly dire at West Brom on Saturday, so no surprise he missed out. I''d rather he played alongside Johnson in central midfield than Crofts but there''s not a load in it as fundamentally this is the weakest area of our squad.

No idea why so much conviction that Jackson should come in for Morison or Holt. Jackon has done a good job off the bench, less so as a starter and Holt and Morro have bagged 18 goals between them, weren''t to blame for last night''s poor show and should be given another chance.

To blame was a problem that has threatened to undo us before but that we''ve managed to overcome of late with great defending and by finishing the few chances we create – we give the ball away too cheaply and leave ourselves exposed around the centre of the pitch and in our own half. We just aren''t moving the ball through midfield consistently well enough. Fox is ok at holding the ball but isn''t anywhere near creative enough. If Hoolahan isn''t playing well and, as has happened a lot of late, gives the ball away cheaply, then we lack the necessary creative edge and composure needed to hold the ball.

In the absence of better central midfielders (Howson might help and I imagine we''ll get new arrivals in the summer) we need to look to our wider players, drop the diamond and see how a Morro + Holt strike force can be supported by a four man midfield comprising four from Surman, Bennett, Pilko, Johnson and Fox. Hoolahan likely to become an impact player as the season progresses I suspect.

And for those who say this is part of the doom-mongering trend that follows every defeat, that''s not at all the case. Ive never felt we''ve been a great side this season but have marvelled at our incredible hard work, the togetherness of the squad and commitment of the players. We''ve done incredibly well but for a number of games lately we''ve got by by hanging on, creating and converting one or two chances and defending well to recover from losing the ball too often ... you can''t get away with that forever.

The good news is we''re not far from getting over the line this season, we''re in the 5th round of the cup and have three players to come into the squad in March.

Bad display!

Midfield totally over ran, no pace or mobility not just Crofts!

Lets get a left footer back at left back and get Naughton on his right side at rightback!

Team I''d play -

Ruddy

Naughton, Ayala, Whitbread, Tierney

Bennet, Fox, Pilkington

Hoolahan

Holt, Morison

Subs - Steer, Jackson, Johnson, Martin, Wilbraham, Vaughen, Surman

We will get hopelessly overrun if we play that team. Like we did at Villa when we tried it.