Sign in to follow this  
GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

Steve Walsh's "apology" in yesterday's programme

Did anyone else read former Leicester and Norwich''s Steve Walsh''s paragraph in the "expert analysis" section?

It proved to be an interesting insight into his brief time here at Norwich where he citied a few off field problems he had at the time causing depression and resulting in fitness problems and went on record to apolgise for his preformances during his time here.  I applaud him for taking the opportunity to write that piece in the match programme and he think he comes out of it quite well for doing so, It certainly has changed my perception of him and his time with us but probably brings further into question some of the then manager Bryan Hamilton''s bizarre transfer dealing at that time ?!

Interesting that. The most awful game was on Sky and I watched it from afar, but cannot remember the opposition.

Bryan Hamilton? Please, have mercy, I sleep badly enough nowadays as it is. 

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]I think the match to which you refer was probably a 4-0 defeat at Wolves??[/quote]I remember the stats showing an almost perfect correlation between the number of minutes Walsh spent on the pitch and the goals conceded

The 4-0 away at Wolves was on Sky. One of the worst perfomances I have seen. No chance for Norwich! Was this one of the last games with Hamilton as manager before Worthington was appointed?

Yep, 4-0 at Wolves on 24th Sept 2000.

Our side- Marshall, Sutch, Derveld,  Lee Marshall,  Fleming,  Walsh,  Roberts,  Whitley,  Russell,  Cottee, Forbes.

Not the greatest day in Norwich history!

Hamilton didn''t actually go until after the loss at Portsmouth on 2nd December!

[quote user="Old Shuck"]

Yep, 4-0 at Wolves on 24th Sept 2000.

Our side- Marshall, Sutch, Derveld,  Lee Marshall,  Fleming,  Walsh,  Roberts,  Whitley,  Russell,  Cottee, Forbes.

Not the greatest day in Norwich history!

Hamilton didn''t actually go until after the loss at Portsmouth on 2nd December!

[/quote]......i thought i could remember all players who have donned the yellow, but who the hell was/is whitley. was he so bad that my memory bank has deleted him for reasons of safety?.

[quote user="star_manic"]......i thought i could remember all players who have donned the yellow, but who the hell was/is whitley. was he so bad that my memory bank has deleted him for reasons of safety?.
[/quote]

Jim Whitley. Northern Irish international and brother of Jeff. Was on loan from Man City and was pretty poor if I recall correctly. I think he may have been one of the not so magnificent seven players that Hamilton signed at once and unveiled at a night game at Carrow Road (can''t remember who we were playing) which included Paul McVeigh and Raymond De Waard.

Anyway according to Wiki "Following his retirement, Whitley instead began performing as a singer and dancer in stage shows, appearing in productions called Christmas Crooners and The Rat Pack''s Back, taking the roles of Nat King Cole and Sammy Davis Jr. in the respective shows."

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

[quote user="star_manic"]......i thought i could remember all players who have donned the yellow, but who the hell was/is whitley. was he so bad that my memory bank has deleted him for reasons of safety?.[/quote]Jim Whitley. Northern Irish international and brother of Jeff. Was on loan from Man City and was pretty poor if I recall correctly. I think he may have been one of the not so magnificent seven players that Hamilton signed at once and unveiled at a night game at Carrow Road (can''t remember who we were playing) which included Paul McVeigh and Raymond De Waard.

[/quote]I thought we only has Whitley on loan?The Magnificent Seven (from memory)Paul McVeighSteen NedergaardRaymond De WaardFernando DerveldGaetano GiallanzaOh I''m struggling now, maybe Whitley was one of them

A City supporter I know bumped into Steve Walsh a few years ago on a train back from a game. They had a conversation about how SW joined City; I understand at the time he joined us he had not played many recent games due to injury and had trained with a non league club for a while. Tamworth rings a bell here, but only as we played them a few years ago. I’m sure it was a midlands club.

Anyway, Hamilton recruited him to be the skipper, and at the time of signing SW was quite a few weeks away from match fitness and informed Hamilton as to this. I think this was as SW had not played many games the season before. Despite this Hamilton threw him straight into the side and he wasn’t very good, but due to any real match fitness. I understand that Hamilton was certainly aware of this.

I didn’t go to the 0-4 Wolves away game but it was on TV at lunchtime (Sunday?) and it was obvious that SW was very slow and not ready to play I recall one of the goals when he was turned on the edge of the box and from a standing start the QE2 could have accelerated faster.

So, yes, Walsh was poor but he was nowhere near fit.