Sign in to follow this  
J.Warman

Ayala should play as a defensive midfielder

we should play a back four of tierney - whitbread - martin - naughton (providing they are all fit)

and as Ayala is arguably our best passer, and as he can tackle better than fox, i think playing him as a defensive midfielder would offer us more creativity going forward and would make us more solid defensively.

do you think this would work?

i do like fox, but all he does is pass sideways or into the channels, he rarely actually creates anything.

so my strongest 11 would be:

----------------------------------ruddy---------------------------------

naughton--------martin---------------whitbread------tierney

---------------------Ayala------------------johnson----------------

--Bennett-------------------hoolahan----------------pilkington

--------------------------------Morison-------------------------------

[quote user="J.Warman"]we should play a back four of tierney - whitbread - martin - naughton (providing they are all fit)

and as Ayala is arguably our best passer, and as he can tackle better than fox, i think playing him as a defensive midfielder would offer us more creativity going forward and would make us more solid defensively.

do you think this would work?

i do like fox, but all he does is pass sideways or into the channels, he rarely actually creates anything.

so my strongest 11 would be:

----------------------------------ruddy---------------------------------

naughton--------martin---------------whitbread------tierney

---------------------Ayala------------------johnson----------------

--Bennett-------------------hoolahan----------------pilkington

--------------------------------Morison-------------------------------[/quote]Nah, i think he has the potential of becoming a great centre back, although i would like him to bulk up just a little.

It a no from me, finally settled on a centre back pairing that seem to be getting better and better (that clean sheet is just round the corner IMO), we dont need to start playing players out of position! I think Fox just needs to get stuck in more, or Johnson to be utilised in that role.

When I watched him in the QPR game I thought exactly this. Would probably work if we had more options. Man Utd have been doing the same with Phil Jones, but we don''t have the squad size they have.

800k for a 21 year old who already looks premiership quality with bags of potential is an absolute bargain! Dont think he is technichaly good enough at the moment to play as a midfielder and fox definatly has the best distribution in the squad, but promising times for ayala.

Whats wrong with having Ayala as a superb passing centre back?    It is an assett to have defenders that can pass well.   If Ayala turns into a great centre back it will be partly because of his ability to pass it out of defence.   

Look forward to seeing him progress - as a centre back.          

Dear god people need to stop playing Fifa / Football Manager so much.As soon as a new player performs well in their position someone on here comments on how we should change their position! It baffles me. Although not quite as much as BW i think, who once said we should play Grant Holt as a central midfielder...

You are spot on. Fox always passes sideways and never plays a killer forward ball. And he certainly doesnt have a fantastic array of long passing ability.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jIrua-A0AE

How''s Fox role to play a killer ball? He''s a deep sitting midfielder. His job is to make the ball available for the likes of Hoolahan, Surman and Pilkington!

You absolutely correct though. That isn''t his primary job. Like you say his main job is to receive the ball off the back 4 and spread the play. I think he is absolutely fantastic and so underrated by some. It takes real guts and skill to be happy to receive the ball under pressure like he does.

It seems to be a very English thing that we are obsessed with trying to play centre backs in midfield. They are very different positions which require different attribute. I have only been convinced by Ledley King and Phil Jones when they have made the transition. And they are both very special players.

This thread has GOT to be a joke!

Ayala will one day become a fine centre back for us. And Fox is definitely the best passer at the club.

Judging by the way Ayala was charging forward in the last 5 minutes, I think you''ll find the lad actually wants to play at centre forward.