Sign in to follow this  
sonyc

Norwich = Everton in x years?

Anyone think under Lambert that there are comparisons to be made with Moyes and Everton? No really big egos, team ethic, hard working, over achieving year after year, give anyone a game, level headed manager, local (non global) brand rather than their neighbours, passionate fans, locally owned etc...I have been thinking that should Paul L stay with us say a couple of years then we could have a team in the same image. Imagine getting close to European qualification every year.....I''m no everton fan but am always amazed that each year they fight and are difficult to beat. also I don''t think they have a model that is perfect.

Everton have been in the top flight of English football longer than any other team.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everton_F.C.

"over achieving year after year"

How can you over achieve year after year ?

It you achieve something that must mean how you were good at that time. If you keep achieving that level then that is how good you are all the time.

shades of ''ever so ''umble little ole norwich, methinks

Well I guess City 1st you can pick up on one phrase and use that against the wider message....that Everton are not funded by huge foreign investment and give the top 5 decent games year in year out and are there on merit and then you can make the comparison with us.....that actually we are quite good. Or you can defend your agenda that a post like this somehow implies a "little norwich" mentality.

Thought I was being quite straightforward. I guess too that''s why I read a lot of posts here and rarely post myself.

Everton haven''t really over-achieved other than the 2004/5 season when they finished 4th.

In terms of the wage budget to league finish correlation they''ve finished just about where they should in theory, year-on-year, ie. top-half but no higher than 7th.

The problem they have is that the top 6/7 clubs are way ahead in terms of playing budgets and they can''t make that next step.

Thats the sad reality of modern day football where money talks very loudly.

Norwich City definitely have the potential to establish ourselves as a top half Premier League club. Paul Lambert is quite simply a superb manager and can defy the spend;performance correlation. With a bigger ground and renewed Premier League tv money in which to increase his playing budget he could really take us forward.

[quote user="City1st"]"over achieving year after year" How can you over achieve year after year ? It you achieve something that must mean how you were good at that time. If you keep achieving that level then that is how good you are all the time. shades of ''ever so ''umble little ole norwich, methinks[/quote]

Of course you can over-achieve year after year. A perfectly correctly used statement, clever dick.

Everton are possibly my least favourite club because of events in the past.

I cannot remember the exact details but I will try:

1. They poached Mike Walker when he was at the peak of success at Norwich, then didn''t really give him long enough before sacking him.

2. We were once relegated from the top league by a freak  result they had against Wimbledon. There were suggestions afterwards that the Wimbledon goalkeeper had been bribed. His performance indicated something was fishy. Was it Hans Seegar? I cannot remeber what came of this.

3. Not directly Everton, but scousers nevertheless,  we once missed out on Europe because of Heysal and the subsequent ban on English clubs. This might be unfair as Toffee fans have no particularly  bad reputation.

I do like the comparison between Moyes and Lambert but feel if Everton have a bad season then he might well be sacked. Expectations are high there and the rivalry bit with Liverpool ensures that. Apparently they have big debts. 

I think Norwich are more likely to be like a Stoke than an Everton. We''re both a one club city (not counting Port Vale) Similar size ground. A strong community base. A history of yo-yo-ing. Fantastic support base.

Everton as a club has historically been a lot bigger, the attitude of the fans is different, more expectation.

Actually would like Norwich to be like Norwich in the late 80''s early 90''s. That would be an achievement - staying in the top division and flourishing near the top for several seasons.

At least we''re heading in the right direction!

City 1st is not trying to be a clever dick - he''s right! You cannot ''over-achieve''; you either achieve something or you don''t. It''s similar to saying someone gives 110% - that''s impossible too! (100% being the maximum). Low self-esteem and/or low expectation is typically the root cause of an opinion that something is being over achieved. In essence what they are saying is; ''in line with my beliefs and values (hence the ''lil ol Norwich observation) we are doing much better than I ever thought we might!''. Thank goodness Paul Lambert is not a small thinker - or else we wouldn''t be talking about this anyway.

I take the spirit of the OP though; we could draw some parallels between Norwich and Lambert and Everton and Moyes - but who cares? I think Paul Lambert is perfectly capable of writing his own script here and providing he continues building with us he could well surpass anything Liverpool''s second team have done recently anyway.

OTBC!

Sorry Mustard, but I competely disagree with your analysis of the finer points of the English language.

You can "over-achieve," It is a correct and often used expression which means you do better than expected.

I agree that there is nothing correct about the similar expression 110 % as that is impossible.

It''s just a myth that Everton "over-achieve:" they just haven''t got a sugar daddy. In term of crowd etc they are a top half team, but for some reason Moyes is a media darling despite the dreary football that Everton dish out year after year.

They also pay top rank wages by all account - which is probably why they can''t afford to spend too much in the transfer market - Arteta took a pay cut to go to Arsenal.

I am hoping that Moyes'' mismanagement might see them relegated one day.

Everton are possibly my least favourite club because of events in the past.

I cannot remember the exact details but I will try:

1. They poached Mike Walker when he was at the peak of success at Norwich, then didn''t really give him long enough before sacking him.

2. We were once relegated from the top league by a freak  result they had against Wimbledon. There were suggestions afterwards that the Wimbledon goalkeeper had been bribed. His performance indicated something was fishy. Was it Hans Seegar? I cannot remeber what came of this.

3. Not directly Everton, but scousers nevertheless,  we once missed out on Europe because of Heysal and the subsequent ban on English clubs. This might be unfair as Toffee fans have no particularly  bad reputation.

Come on Broadstairs - ''Calm down''!

To be fair Mike Walker wasn''t handcuffed and taken up to Everton against his will.

There was the 1985 game they had (as League Champions) against Coventry when they couldn''t give a monkeys that Cov won 4-1 and we got relegated because of it (we had already finished our games days previous) so that might help fuel your judgement :)

o·ver·a·chieve/ˌōvərəˈCHēv/

Verb:

1) Do better than is expected, esp. in academic work.

2) Be excessively dedicated to success in one''s work.