Sign in to follow this  
Snakepit Ric

Micheal oliver

Yellow Wall, why so sarcastic? I have had a lot of involvement in lower non-league football and have seen a team''s whole season be completely ruined by absolutely dreadful refereeing. Based on what I saw, I would rather not put a team out than have someone with no ability and a point to prove ruin the whole experience, after the players and manager have worked hard to have a good chance of winning the game.

I used to really begrudge paying £30 to some referees, others were more than worth the money. I realise that probably more youngsters want to become players than refs, but you can''t respond to poor performances by simply pushing the problem down a division.

I can''t really start refereeing myself as I''m a not-that-fit middle-aged woman and I believe my chance has passed me by, lol. However, we did have one or two good female officials in the League I was involved with. Perhaps we should try positively encouraging young women to become officials - some attitudes would have to change first, though.

While I accept the argument that you would expect better refs in the Prem than the Championship, my concern is the fact that there is clearly a hierarchy in the Prem itself. I quoted an article by Graham Poll in my EDP column on Friday where he criticised Swarbrick for his penalty decision in the Stoke game and said that "on that showing it will be some time before he gets to referee at Old Trafford or Anfield". The implication that refs can be "guinea pigged" against the likes of Norwich before they''re inflicted on Manure or Liverpool is really quite sinister and makes a mockery of any concept of a level playing field.

[quote user="Harry"]"when Wes makes a mistake 10 other players can help him out if an official does he has no one else to help him. " What do you think his linesmen are for? They''re not there just for decoration.[/quote]

That''s easy. Pointing the flag for the direction of throw-ins.

I think some people here are being far to idealogic, it''s obviously not a black or white matter of whether a ref can do his job correctly or not. For example:

less than 5 wrong decisions in a match = prem ref.

less than 10 = league ref.

less than 15 = non league ref.

less than 20 = sunday ref.

Reports from managers/assessers given a trend over a number of games and their level established. Having a system of promoting ref''s is not only right but obsurd to think otherwise.

While I can completely see your point of view Beau regarding the fact that even among prem ref''s their are only a few considered good enough to officiate in the games at the home of the big four/five I actually am glad this is the case. When we travel to old trafford this week would you not feel better knowing that the ref in the middle, with a hugh home crowd and the beady little eyes of fergie on him, is the very best referee we have available?

Only through technology will we get the consistance that fans desire, first must come the burning down of FIFA in its current guise!

I saw Warnock mentioned the referee in his pot match interview (inevitable). Said he was trying to make a name for himself and that the penalty was always on his mind, and was going to give one at somepoint.

I also quite liked his appraisal of Traore''s efforts. Several of my arsenal supporting friends said he was absolute toilet for them but then puts in a cleansheet performance of his life against, wolves? Necastle? something like that. they are now please he is back to his error strewn best.

It''s a shame that once again it is all about the referee''s. Need video technology now, surely, its been several seasons now where the ref is frequently deciding games. there''s too much money in the game now, everything needs to be as right as it can be,

[quote user="Canarino"]Yellow Wall, why so sarcastic? I have had a lot of involvement in lower non-league football and have seen a team''s whole season be completely ruined by absolutely dreadful refereeing. Based on what I saw, I would rather not put a team out than have someone with no ability and a point to prove ruin the whole experience, after the players and manager have worked hard to have a good chance of winning the game. I used to really begrudge paying £30 to some referees, others were more than worth the money. I realise that probably more youngsters want to become players than refs, but you can''t respond to poor performances by simply pushing the problem down a division. I can''t really start refereeing myself as I''m a not-that-fit middle-aged woman and I believe my chance has passed me by, lol. However, we did have one or two good female officials in the League I was involved with. Perhaps we should try positively encouraging young women to become officials - some attitudes would have to change first, though.[/quote]

The point that was being made is that the better the player the better the standard he plays at and the better the referee the better the standard he referees at, and just as a player would be dropped for bad performances so should a referee, and by so doing the better ones would referee the better games.

Unfortunately that is where the problem starts. Who dictates whether a referee has a good game or not? And as in so many other professions, perhaps it''s not what you know but who you know. Michael Oliver''s father, Clive, is/was also a League referee so I am sure he would be given every opportunity to progress, more so than most other teen/early twenty year old referees.

There are, I feel, many problems with the systems that are used by the FA to progress referees but when good written reports are as important if not more important than performance on the field then something must be wrong.

As far as young ladies refereeing, I watched on last Saturday in a junior match and she had a good game. She was well in control throughout and the vast majority of her decisions were well accepted by the players. Personally I have no problem with anyone refereeing as long as they can do their job. If they can''t then I would hope they would have to stay in the junior ranks until such time as they prove themselves.

The main point that seems to miss so many referees is that they are there to compliment the game. The players are not there for their benefit.

[quote user="GJP"]

I don''t think Michael Oliver is a particularly good referee. I''m sure he''s been fast-tracked by the people incharge to make it look like they''re bringing through quality young refs.

If you look at the penalty given to Aston Villa today you can argue it was the correct decision because Traore did have a pull at Agbonlahor''s shirt. However, you can bet your house that Michael Oliver will see that situation occur numerous more times this season and he won''t give anything.

It was a "soft" penalty but then he didn''t give either of the possible penalties that QPR could have had. Both for handball from Hutton.

Bit like when Halsey refereed our game. Didn''t want to know when the WBA defenders clattered our lads and somehow managed to miss the elbow on Vaughan but no hesitation to give a soft ish penalty against Morison.

Even looking at the Chelsea game. We all know Torres should have had a second yellow and been sent off and the ref  knew it too but he chose to let him off. Yet when Ruddy brought down Ramires (when Ramires dived) he couldn''t hesitate to bring out the red card, it was out of his pocket before Ramires had hit the floor.

Consistency is lacking too often. Perhaps integrity too.

[/quote]

I just cannot see what the fuss is about. It was a clear pull on Agbonlahor''s shirt in the penalty area that pulled him down, which the ref had an excellent view of and I commend him for seeing what most other people missed.  What is laughable is that Warnock called it a push.

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="GJP"]

I don''t think Michael Oliver is a particularly good referee. I''m sure he''s been fast-tracked by the people incharge to make it look like they''re bringing through quality young refs.

If you look at the penalty given to Aston Villa today you can argue it was the correct decision because Traore did have a pull at Agbonlahor''s shirt. However, you can bet your house that Michael Oliver will see that situation occur numerous more times this season and he won''t give anything.

It was a "soft" penalty but then he didn''t give either of the possible penalties that QPR could have had. Both for handball from Hutton.

Bit like when Halsey refereed our game. Didn''t want to know when the WBA defenders clattered our lads and somehow managed to miss the elbow on Vaughan but no hesitation to give a soft ish penalty against Morison.

Even looking at the Chelsea game. We all know Torres should have had a second yellow and been sent off and the ref  knew it too but he chose to let him off. Yet when Ruddy brought down Ramires (when Ramires dived) he couldn''t hesitate to bring out the red card, it was out of his pocket before Ramires had hit the floor.

Consistency is lacking too often. Perhaps integrity too.

[/quote]

I just cannot see what the fuss is about. It was a clear pull on Agbonlahor''s shirt in the penalty area that pulled him down, which the ref had an excellent view of and I commend him for seeing what most other people missed.  What is laughable is that Warnock called it a push.

[/quote]

Exactly.

OTBC